Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 02-01-2009, 06:11 PM

Nicest thing that ever happened to my SVX!

Replaced the lo beams with H.I.D. lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Should I get fog or hi beam's next??
Old 02-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Nicest thing that ever happened to my SVX!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwren View Post

High beams are incredibly bright. Fogs... meh, a good lamp will yield good results cost-wise

Tom
Old 02-01-2009, 06:37 PM

Get yellow fogs... Thats my plan.
Old 02-01-2009, 08:17 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:

Where did you get your HID's and what brand are they? Also what color temp did you get?
Kool Blue air filter, 4500k HID's, airbox mod, Hella horns, WRX 6 disc stereo, Infinity Reference and Clarion Pro Audio speakers, Infinity basslink sub, ECUtune Stage 1v5, ECUtune TCU, Power mode mod, Mad muffler mod v1.3
Old 02-01-2009, 10:48 PM
15th time is a charm?

Registered SVX

Quote:

I absolutely LOVE my HIDs as well. What variety did you get? I got 55w 5000ks and I love the way they look.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxash View Post
Where did you get your HID's and what brand are they? Also what color temp did you get?
I got them from a link on this site and the price was great and the hid's the same as mike621
I thought I'd throw this up here. A company on the BMW forums has a new set of HID's they are going to start shipping. They are a 3/4 size, digital, lifetime warranty, lots of temperature choices and, um...... the price is $49 +s/h. yeah.

The SVX has projectors so you won't have any glare/pattern issues as long as your headlights are adjusted correctly.

This is a respected company that's been around for a long time and if you call them on the phone a real person answers. I'm not affiliated with them at all but that price is cheaper than a set of halogen bulbs.

DDM Tuning

http://www.ddmtuning.com/ap55wwesa.html

Keith

Last edited by kwren; 02-02-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:19 AM
Unregistered User

Send a message via MSN to Freeman
Registered SVX

Yellow fog lights yield better results when in foggy/snowy weather. If you want something that just "looks cool" then go with a low mild temp HID, like 5000k or 6000k..

Also, remember that your HID's take a little while to heat up to be able to yeild results as well.. So getting HID high beams seems rather pointless, doesn't it?
1992 Pearl White LS-L "Ruslana" #4946 - 180k on body, 95k on engine.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
†"War doesn't determine who is right, only who is left"†
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-02-2009, 07:16 AM
My car's Italian, right?

Send a message via AIM to Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeman View Post
Yellow fog lights yield better results when in foggy/snowy weather. If you want something that just "looks cool" then go with a low mild temp HID, like 5000k or 6000k..

Also, remember that your HID's take a little while to heat up to be able to yeild results as well.. So getting HID high beams seems rather pointless, doesn't it?
It all depends on if you're driving on dark country roads for extended periods of time. If you live in the suburbs it probably wouldnt be worth it, but if you're out it in the sticks you'd have what I'd like to call "daylight makers"
2012 Camry V6 SE
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 AM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim View Post
It all depends on if you're driving on dark country roads for extended periods of time. If you live in the suburbs it probably wouldn't be worth it, but if you're out it in the sticks you'd have what I'd like to call "daylight makers"
Yeah that's correct. Although I find myself hardly using my high beams at all and I'm on the border with West Virginia.. No street lamps and the roads are windy ant thickly wooded.. HID's work wonders to almost eliminate the use for high beams what so ever... Personally, I believe the money could be invested elsewhere.
Mods: ECU bead crush, 15 min mod, 20 min mod, drilled/slotted rotors & Axxis ceramic brakes, SS lines, 17" Evoke F1 wheels, XS-HF137 Sony Xplod speakers, 6000k HID's (lows & fogs), resistor mod, 1½" Sleek Spoiler mod, custom exhaust by svxfiles, '02 WRX aluminum racing radiator by svxfiles, Summit Racing 400# x 300# springs w/ Koni's by svxfiles, ClassGlass fiberglass hood /w scoop, Nevin's rear sway bar, '97 grille, phenolic spacers, custom LED interior lighting, custom paint.
Work to be done: Tinted windows, clear/LED tail lights, tailbar mod, "Power Mode" mod, Supertone horns, clear corners & headlight lenses, 2 pc splitters or custom bumper, Alcyone side skirts, TruSpeed Stage III SVX Intake, Hydra, 4.44 tranny swap, JDM auto folding side mirrors, engine rebuild, super charger, STi seats, bone leather interior /w SVX emblem, dash overhaul, SVX decals, paint (stock color). Total cost?: 22k At least it's going down..
Old 02-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

Hi there, i was reading this thread and i do happen to live on some quite dark backroads. I wanted to get some HID lights. However i didnt know what to get and how to install them at all. Is it easy to or is there anyone in western new york that has some of this knowledge
Thanks
Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Unregistered User

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
Hi there, i was reading this thread and i do happen to live on some quite dark backroads. I wanted to get some HID lights. However i didnt know what to get and how to install them at all. Is it easy to or is there anyone in western new york that has some of this knowledge
Thanks
HID's are GREAT for lo-beams, city or other. Now, using them for high beams, not so much. It's surly debatable and truly depends on where you live. Like I said, personally, I believe it's money better spend elsewhere. If you really wanna learn how to install the HID's, I'm sure there is a write up somewhere around her on online.. Just fish around..
Old 02-02-2009, 03:29 PM

you can install them without a writeup.
Just plug them in electrically as per instruction sheet and then twist the bulbs in wher you take the other ones out
Old 02-02-2009, 03:34 PM

I would do the lo beams first and they you can decide if you need anything else! You will be somewhere between pleasantly surprised and astonished with your lo beam H.I.D.'s
"Seeing is believing"

Keith
Old 02-03-2009, 12:02 PM
Mechanically worthless Man : )

Registered SVX

K thanks for the help. What color temp works the best. I know for the appearance, a bluish or purplish would look best on my ebony. but really I just want what color would work best on these country roads I live on. I most likely will do both low and high beam, I did some fishing and found a fairly decent price on HID's, I always thought they were more expensive Odd
Old 02-03-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyldnwoody44 View Post
K thanks for the help. What color temp works the best. I know for the appearance, a bluish or purplish would look best on my ebony. but really I just want what color would work best on these country roads I live on. I most likely will do both low and high beam, I did some fishing and found a fairly decent price on HID's, I always thought they were more expensive Odd
They "were" more expensive. They are bringing us some sane prices now!

Where did you find a good price??

Thanks,
Keith