No. 4 23.53%
No opinion. 6 35.29%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-27-2008, 09:22 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
Definition of teenage behavior

AKA The Derail Completely and Attack My Character thread.
---

This is not a joke thread. This is an honest attempt at debate.

I'll start with the Dictionary.com definition and we can go from there.

"adj. Of, relating to, or applicable to those aged 13 through 19."

As a debater your job is now to expand upon this definition to include behaviour which is strictly relegated to that age range, and if you are ambitious and following the "women" thread, somehow apply it to me. This is not a challenge, but I think the results would be interesting.

As thread starter, I'm channeling democracy and allowing the viewing populace to decide whether I should be involved directly in the debate. That means, should I respond to topic-specific posts. Again, I think the results will be interesting.

The last thread I made received no responses. I don't think this is unique to my threads as I am often first poster in quite a few, but who knows. What I do know is if there are no responses here I win the debate by default.

Go.

--
Winner: svxistentialist
Runner-up: subi-crosser

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 10-02-2008 at 06:22 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 10:33 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Definition of teenage behavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikFu S. View Post
This is not a joke thread. This is an honest attempt at debate.

I'll start with the Dictionary.com definition and we can go from there.

"adj. Of, relating to, or applicable to those aged 13 through 19."

As a debater your job is now to expand upon this definition to include behaviour which is strictly relegated to that age range, and if you are ambitious and following the "women" thread, somehow apply it to me. This is not a challenge, but I think the results would be interesting.

As thread starter, I'm channeling democracy and allowing the viewing populace to decide whether I should be involved directly in the debate. That means, should I respond to topic-specific posts. Again, I think the results will be interesting.

The last thread I made received no responses. I don't think this is unique to my threads as I am often first poster in quite a few, but who knows. What I do know is if there are no responses here I win the debate by default.

Go.

I just finished a day where I took my 17 year old daughter on a short road trip. I also spent a few hours 'hanging out' with her. She wanted to go to her 'favorite' place and enjoy the view and tranquility. We made that stop on the way home. I asked her if she wanted me to wait in the car. She said," No, I enjoy the company"..

I have been BLESSED with GREAT teen-agers!! I am so glad that MY teenagers didn't act like the ones that MY parents had to raise!!

My (4) children have been a BLESSING to me!! I thank God every day, that I didn't have the problems that ALL the other parents in my age group have had!! I have NO children strung out on heroin, none in jail, no hookers. I can leave my wallet on the table when I go to sleep and I WILL have a driveable car to go to work in the morning!!

The only issue that I have with the kids is that 4 out of 4 don't really want to spend a lot of time with mom. Hummmmm.

I sure am glad that I took the time to EXPLAIN where I stand to them when they were young!! I also tried to be 'available' when a problem came up.
I didn't 'Lecture'. I allowed them to 'vent', then we talked about it. Sometimes I could fix it, sometimes they had to fix it themselves, BUT, I took the time to LISTEN!! I didn't stop them to interject my ideas, I waited till they ASKED for my ideas..

The more I see other people's kids and listen to the horror stories, the more I HUG and tell MINE that I LOVE them and thank GOD for them!!

The youngest and I sat in the car one night. She said that "Mom has a favorite". I asked her If Dad has a favorite?? She said, " I don't know"....

THAT's the KEY!!! She didn't know if Dad had a favorite after living with me for 16 years, at the time.

Since I am not a 'normal' Dad, I guess that my opinions on 'normal' teenaged behavior might not count!!

I drink and smoke too much, I work too long, I spent too much time in the garage, BUT.... MY Kids LOVE me!! I love and RESPECT them and their opinions!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 09-27-2008, 10:42 PM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
You're a bit eccentric, and I think that's one of the things that makes you a good parent with especially valid input.
Well you must be, because you're doing better than mine. I'm the "good, successful" one in my family out of 7 siblings, one recently deceased thanks to cocaine.

Anyhoo, I have to beat feet. Keep it rolling.

Old 09-27-2008, 10:52 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser

Quote:
You're a bit eccentric, and I think that's one of the things that makes you a good parent with especially valid input.
Well you must be, because you're doing better than mine. I'm the "good, successful" one in my family out of 7 siblings, one recently deceased thanks to cocaine.

Anyhoo, I have to beat feet. Keep it rolling.
I was the 'black sheep'!! The 'problem child'. The one LEAST likely to make it!
I guess that is where some of my 'skills' came from! I learned from my mistakes. I might not be the guy that you are looking for with the 'posts' that condemn teenagers...

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 09-27-2008 at 10:59 PM.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:21 PM

As far as any one persons permission to enter a debate is concerned, I would interject that a debate is not complete if any one opinion is rejected. After all, is that not the entire point?

Now as far as strictly relating things consistent within an age range, I doubt that will be possible in consideration of all those like myself who refuse to grow up. I tried it, and then I had kids. As far as validity of opinion on the matter, well let me say this. Last weekend, I moved to be closer to work. I knew my apartment was 'near' a high school, not long after signing the lease, I learned that it was in fact kitty corner. I took note of the field opposite the intersection the day I viewed the apartment, I did not realize that it was the practice field for the football team. So, like it or not, I will be increasing my knowledge and views on 'teenage behavior' rather quickly. Not to mention only 7 1/2 years before my son hits 'that age'.
Old 09-27-2008, 11:23 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Mine are 19 and 18.
One in The Navy, and one at college to be a Mechanical Engineer.
They did not have a "normal" upbringing
strike points, car stuff, martial arts, history, conspiracy,

But they are GREAT kids!
No jail, no pregnancies, no big scares.....
I have always told and shown them that I love them.

And I am very proud of them.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-27-2008, 11:30 PM
Maniac modifier

Teenage behavior can be categorized as many things. A couple examples below

1. God syndrom... I can do anything, I am never gonna die
2. Pitty Parties... Everyone!!! Come see how sad I am and feel bad for me
3. Lacking ability to learn from not only their own, but other's mistakes
4. Lacking ability to seriously think that something someone else has to say, means something or could be correct.
5. Extending arguments simply because it gains them attention.
6. Starting threads like this

Tom
Old 09-27-2008, 11:45 PM

Send a message via MSN to subicrossersgrl Send a message via Yahoo to subicrossersgrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
I just finished a day where I took my 17 year old daughter on a short road trip. I also spent a few hours 'hanging out' with her. She wanted to go to her 'favorite' place and enjoy the view and tranquility. We made that stop on the way home. I asked her if she wanted me to wait in the car. She said," No, I enjoy the company"..

I have been BLESSED with GREAT teen-agers!! I am so glad that MY teenagers didn't act like the ones that MY parents had to raise!!

My (4) children have been a BLESSING to me!! I thank God every day, that I didn't have the problems that ALL the other parents in my age group have had!! I have NO children strung out on heroin, none in jail, no hookers. I can leave my wallet on the table when I go to sleep and I WILL have a driveable car to go to work in the morning!!

The only issue that I have with the kids is that 4 out of 4 don't really want to spend a lot of time with mom. Hummmmm.

I sure am glad that I took the time to EXPLAIN where I stand to them when they were young!! I also tried to be 'available' when a problem came up.
I didn't 'Lecture'. I allowed them to 'vent', then we talked about it. Sometimes I could fix it, sometimes they had to fix it themselves, BUT, I took the time to LISTEN!! I didn't stop them to interject my ideas, I waited till they ASKED for my ideas..

The more I see other people's kids and listen to the horror stories, the more I HUG and tell MINE that I LOVE them and thank GOD for them!!

The youngest and I sat in the car one night. She said that "Mom has a favorite". I asked her If Dad has a favorite?? She said, " I don't know"....

THAT's the KEY!!! She didn't know if Dad had a favorite after living with me for 16 years, at the time.

Since I am not a 'normal' Dad, I guess that my opinions on 'normal' teenaged behavior might not count!!

I drink and smoke too much, I work too long, I spent too much time in the garage, BUT.... MY Kids LOVE me!! I love and RESPECT them and their opinions!

Ok, since I am still a teen-ager. I am going to interject my opinion for the first time ever. One thing I will mention is that I am the 17 year old that subi-crosser mentioned. Hi. No subi-crosser you are not a "normal" dad. I also agree with you that you work too much. And I still think your opinion counts. No I don't do drugs. No I've never been to jail. But, I think half the problem with alot of today's kids and the violence has to do A LOT with the music and videogames of today. But mostly the video games. Grand Theft Auto doesn't help much. It encourages you to kill people and steal cars and other stuff like that. I myself actually have played it so I know from experience. There's my peace for tonight. I'm Out.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:25 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post

Your post tells more that your children are blessed to have you!

I don't think that when it comes to the younger generations of today, blame can be placed in one place.

There are alot of things that change the equation.

I know I don't have alot of experience with kids. Im only 21 and don't have children of my own. I had an ex who had a 2 year old daughter though (haha, like that gives me any knowledge)!

I will say, for the few months that I was dating said lady, her daughter become more tolerable and warmed up to alot more people.

Most of how children will become later on is from the people and environment they are around.

A smart child will still make bad decisions, that doesn't make them a "bad child".

When I was younger (and even now) I know when I'm making a bad choice. It's a part of growing up, we just gotta hope that children know where the line is and when not to cross it.

Blaming games and t.v. is a stickman.

I play plenty of first-person shooters, but I've never pointed a real gun (loaded or unloaded) at a person in my life.

I know where fantasy and reality are different. In some ways, certain video games can even be good for people (No, I dont mean educational games).

I know for a fact, if I haden't grown up playing the Gran Turismo series, I would have wrecked plenty of cars. I don't drive fast on streets, I don't try and race every Honda I come across.....

I know what the limits of my vehicle are and if I should happen to be in an emergency situation, I know what input I need to make in the car to have it do what I need it to do.

Theres a big difference between Gran Turismo and real life driving, but I can use the experience I have from a simulator in real life.

It also can be a vent for the need to drive fast and race. If I should happen to want to experience it in real life I drive out to the San Antonio Raceway or find out when the next Auto-X is.

My $.02

Dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company

Last edited by odepaj; 09-28-2008 at 01:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 01:41 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Let he who is without sin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomsSVX View Post
Teenage behavior can be categorized as many things. A couple examples below

1. God syndrom... I can do anything, I am never gonna die
2. Pitty Parties... Everyone!!! Come see how sad I am and feel bad for me
3. Lacking ability to learn from not only their own, but other's mistakes
4. Lacking ability to seriously think that something someone else has to say, means something or could be correct.
5. Extending arguments simply because it gains them attention.
6. Starting threads like this

Tom
Are you saying I did all of those or just the last two? Keep in mind this was as suggestion from someone else, doing exactly what I designed it to do.

If you feel it was an adolescent act, I will accept that as your opinion despite the deep seated rage welling from within me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbeastie View Post
As far as any one persons permission to enter a debate is concerned, I would interject that a debate is not complete if any one opinion is rejected. After all, is that not the entire point?
Something you'll come to learn about me is I usually have a hidden agenda. I have my reasons for the poll and they may or may not be disclosed depending on parties involved.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-28-2008 at 01:57 AM. Reason: Those in glass houses....
Old 09-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele

Another teenage behavior:

Thinking everything is about them.

Yes, you seem to exibit this behavior. Tom was not saying that you did any of the things he listed. He was doing what you wanted. He listed teenage behavior.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 09-28-2008, 08:51 AM
What do you mean wrong SVX?

wtf? You people are old.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:23 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
Another teenage behavior:

Thinking everything is about them.

Yes, you seem to exibit this behavior. Tom was not saying that you did any of the things he listed. He was doing what you wanted. He listed teenage behavior.
So you don't think "starting threads like this" was directed to me at all, the person who started a thread like this?

To me it seems he was very subtly trying to be a dick, but who knows until he clarifies, or denies my allegation.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-28-2008 at 09:27 AM.
Old 09-28-2008, 09:38 AM

Re: Let he who is without sin...

Quote:
To me it seems he was very subtly trying to be a dick, but who knows until he clarifies, or denies my allegation.
I'm picturing him sitting in his office and laughing. Here we can see that things are interpreted differently than intended. Honestly, do people try to be a dick? When is the last time you woke up in the morning and say to yourself "I'm going to be a dick today"??

Quote:
Keep in mind this was as suggestion from someone else, doing exactly what I designed it to do.
Well I don't know if anyone makes one, but you need to install a sarcasm gauge. It was merely a comment that did not need to be taken literally, mostly to point out that we were bickering in a thread started with entirely different intent.

Quote:
If you feel it was an adolescent act, I will accept that as your opinion despite the deep seated rage welling from within me.
Still no feathers rustled over there? Just double checking?

Quote:
Something you'll come to learn about me is I usually have a hidden agenda. I have my reasons for the poll and they may or may not be disclosed depending on parties involved.
Yet another thing we seem to have in common, I don't feel the need to elaborate....
Old 09-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Takin tools to task

Registered SVX
Re: ...cast the first stone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iizbeastie View Post
I'm picturing him sitting in his office and laughing. Here we can see that things are interpreted differently than intended. Honestly, do people try to be a dick? When is the last time you woke up in the morning and say to yourself "I'm going to be a dick today"??
I am picturing the same thing, though not as much an office as a greasy garage. That's irrelevant, but I do feel that while he may feel he is justified in his analysis, it was a direct attack on my character as if to say that I am extending the argument from the other thread because I can't let it go, when the fact is you made a suggestion, and despite realizing it may have been in jest, I followed through with it because I can do that. Why shouldn't I? It is only once every blue freakin' moon that I make a thread around here, unless I need help on the car, which considering it's condition won't be ever again. I do owe a lot to Tom, but I would not put it past him to be passive aggressive from time to time.

Quote:
Well I don't know if anyone makes one, but you need to install a sarcasm gauge. It was merely a comment that did not need to be taken literally, mostly to point out that we were bickering in a thread started with entirely different intent.
To reiterate the above, I saw an opportunity and seized it. I liked the idea, despite the obvious sarcasm.

Quote:
Still no feathers rustled over there? Just double checking?
If I were actually filled with rage, I would not say I was filled with rage. That would put me at a disadvantage.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 09-28-2008 at 10:27 AM.