Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 09-23-2008, 05:33 AM
svxless

Registered SVX
Street Survival Program

step dad (being a member of the bmw club) saw this and signed me up for it
and i get to use my svx!!

Street Survival® Program Guide

The goals of the Tire Rack Street Survival® program are to teach students some of the basics of car control, to enhance their enjoyment of driving and to improve their competence as drivers. We want the students to understand how their actions govern a car's responses, and as a result to become safer, more effective drivers on the road.

The students will become more observant of the traffic situation they find themselves in. They will learn to look far enough ahead to anticipate unwise actions of other drivers. As the students master the application of physics to drive their cars, they will make fewer unwise driving actions themselves. They will understand why they should always wear their own seatbelts, and why they should insist that their passengers wear seatbelts, too.

Students will learn how to properly use their own cars based on the physics of car control. They will learn how their cars feel and sound just before and as they exceed the limits of tire adhesion in a controlled situation, helping them to avoid accidents in actual everyday driving situations where they might experience problems.

During the event, students will maneuver their cars through exercises laid out using orange traffic safety cones in a closed parking lot. They will experience each exercise element several times, in order to learn from their mistakes and to improve their skills. A trained driving coach will accompany each driver to provide real-time feedback while performing maneuvers. There is no stopwatch, nor head-to-head competition with other cars. The students are here to improve their skills, not to compare themselves with someone else.

The exercise elements are laid out in advance by the event chairman and are designed to be fun, safe, challenging and educational. Each element will teach the students a specific skill or group of skills.Safety is our prime concern.

What: Street Survival® is a safe teen driving and car control program for drivers 16 to 21 years old. Older students are welcome too.

Who: Presented by the BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA) Foundation, a 501c (3) public charitable Foundation, in partnership with the Missouri Valley Chapter of the BMW CCA and the Nebraska Region SCCA.

You don't have to be a member of either club. However, all students must have a valid driver's license and/or valid driver's permit. Sorry, no exceptions.

Where: Lincoln Southwest High School

7001 S 14th St
Lincoln, NE

Map to location

When: Sunday, October 12th 2008 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Cost: $60.00 includes event fee, lunch, and a one-year membership to the BMW Car Club.

Register: www.streetsurvival.org or call 1.877.BMW.CC02 for more information.

Why: •According to Mother's Against Drunk Driving (MADD) 36.4% of all teen accidents are alcohol-related. Street Survival's mission is to reduce the other 63.6% of teen accidents caused by driver error.

•Street Survival® goes beyond drivers ed to teach teens to avoid accidents before they happen.

•Street Survival® is a unique hands-on driving experience that puts each student behind the wheel of his or her car with a trained instructor one-on-one, all day.

•The instruction takes place on a closed, wet-down parking lot, so teens can experience emergency driving situations in a controlled environment. We teach skid control, ABS braking, accident avoidance, and emergency lane changes among many other good driving skills and habits.

Parents are welcome to watch – or even better, to help at the event! Lunch will be provided.

1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 126k "BXR6" Sold 3/23/13
1992 LS-L Claret 178k totaled 10/26/09

1987 BMW 325is

60% of the time it works, every time
Old 09-23-2008, 08:06 AM
Phil & Belha

Thumbs up Re: Street Survival Program

Sounds like a lot of fun. I did a course on ice driving in Colorado when I was a student. Since then I've managed to avoid a few accidents by using the techniques I learned there.

Get someone to take a video camera along so we can see how you get on.
1994 Alcyone SVX S40-II
2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SE Sports Tourer
1996 Subaru Legacy 2.2 GX Wagon
1988 Subaru Justy J12 SL-II
Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 PM
Now with more color

Send a message via Yahoo to subi-crosser
Registered SVX Classic SVX
Re: Street Survival Program

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiv0 View Post
step dad (being a member of the bmw club) saw this and signed me up for it
and i get to use my svx!!

Street Survival® Program Guide

The goals of the Tire Rack Street Survival® program are to teach students some of the basics of car control, to enhance their enjoyment of driving and to improve their competence as drivers. We want the students to understand how their actions govern a car's responses, and as a result to become safer, more effective drivers on the road.

The students will become more observant of the traffic situation they find themselves in. They will learn to look far enough ahead to anticipate unwise actions of other drivers. As the students master the application of physics to drive their cars, they will make fewer unwise driving actions themselves. They will understand why they should always wear their own seatbelts, and why they should insist that their passengers wear seatbelts, too.

Students will learn how to properly use their own cars based on the physics of car control. They will learn how their cars feel and sound just before and as they exceed the limits of tire adhesion in a controlled situation, helping them to avoid accidents in actual everyday driving situations where they might experience problems.

During the event, students will maneuver their cars through exercises laid out using orange traffic safety cones in a closed parking lot. They will experience each exercise element several times, in order to learn from their mistakes and to improve their skills. A trained driving coach will accompany each driver to provide real-time feedback while performing maneuvers. There is no stopwatch, nor head-to-head competition with other cars. The students are here to improve their skills, not to compare themselves with someone else.

The exercise elements are laid out in advance by the event chairman and are designed to be fun, safe, challenging and educational. Each element will teach the students a specific skill or group of skills.Safety is our prime concern.

What: Street Survival® is a safe teen driving and car control program for drivers 16 to 21 years old. Older students are welcome too.

Who: Presented by the BMW Car Club of America (BMW CCA) Foundation, a 501c (3) public charitable Foundation, in partnership with the Missouri Valley Chapter of the BMW CCA and the Nebraska Region SCCA.

You don't have to be a member of either club. However, all students must have a valid driver's license and/or valid driver's permit. Sorry, no exceptions.

Where: Lincoln Southwest High School

7001 S 14th St
Lincoln, NE

Map to location

When: Sunday, October 12th 2008 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.

Cost: $60.00 includes event fee, lunch, and a one-year membership to the BMW Car Club.

Register: www.streetsurvival.org or call 1.877.BMW.CC02 for more information.

Why: •According to Mother's Against Drunk Driving (MADD) 36.4% of all teen accidents are alcohol-related. Street Survival's mission is to reduce the other 63.6% of teen accidents caused by driver error.

•Street Survival® goes beyond drivers ed to teach teens to avoid accidents before they happen.

•Street Survival® is a unique hands-on driving experience that puts each student behind the wheel of his or her car with a trained instructor one-on-one, all day.

•The instruction takes place on a closed, wet-down parking lot, so teens can experience emergency driving situations in a controlled environment. We teach skid control, ABS braking, accident avoidance, and emergency lane changes among many other good driving skills and habits.

Parents are welcome to watch – or even better, to help at the event! Lunch will be provided.
Sounds like a 'drivers meeting' at an autocross!! You get to learn where the 'edge' is without killing someone!!

No, really, I learned to drive on dirt roads playing a 'game' called "Thunder Road" with my little buddy Charlie! (stolen from a Movie starring Robert Mitchem, running moonshine, 1960)
We had a 55 Ford and a 52 Dodge and 50 acres of 'home made' roads!!. The Dodge had a Hemi and a 3 speed and the Ford was a 312, 3 speed. We would chase each other all over Dan's Mountain for hours/days!! This happened for 2 years till we were old enough to get a permit!
I never had a problem after that with 'saving' an out of control Dodge!
We were sideways as much as we were pointed in the right direction!!

I guess that is why I still have the 61 Ford that I bought in 1972!!

I managed to 'save' it when it went sidewards!!

Really, this looks to be a VALUABLE ASSET to young drivers!! We did it on our own, with NO 'Adult supervision', but the end result is the same! WE LEARNED to DRIVE, without killing someone!!

I wish every kid had 50 acres of homemade roads and an old rusty Dodge!!

"Can't go to work today. The 'voices' said to "Stay home and clean the guns".

Most famous Red-Neck last words...
" Hey Everybody, Watch This!!)

http://s306.photobucket.com/albums/nn272/subi-crosser/
Jerry
Old 09-24-2008, 08:10 PM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
This is the kind of thing I wish I had back when I got the XT6. Learning the hard way to drive in snow and ice whilst having that teenage lead foot and invincible mentality makes for a few rough lessons. I never did any major damage, but had a few regrettable moments. Luckily I found out ice was slick when I tried to ride a 400cc bike to school through it.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:42 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

I used to practice my high speed driving and accident avoidence in a closed "Drive In" where I whipped back and forth on the levels, gangster turning at each end, one overlooking a 500-600' cliff, or power sliding figure 8s in a two island parking lot.

YEE,HA!!!!!!
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link
Old 09-24-2008, 09:22 PM

yeah... I learned where the 'edge' is by being pushed over it! My step mom (dad re-married when I was almost 14) was an ex-cop. She decided the day I met her that she was gonna teach me how to drive.....
Here we're going down rock creek dairy road at about 50 in her Toyota 4X4 and she tells me "ok, now step on the E-brake as hard as you can, spin the wheel as fast as you can to the left, pop the E-brake out and see if you can punch it into second"...... uumm?? what the H3LL did you just say to me?!?!!? "do it or I'll do it for ya!"

A month later she's got me doing complete 180's and 360's like transmissions are a dime a dozen! She made the 'driver awareness' a game, telling me I should always be contemplating how well I could pull a turn or get behind someone... Started making sense as to how cops can come out of no where if they so choose.....

It's kinda like using karate to teach discipline... at first you think 'oh sure, the kid has an attitude so you teach him to fight', when in all actuality you cant teach him anything without teaching self control. In both cases, knowing how to do something requires knowing the locations and behaviors of all others around you.
Old 09-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
Originally Posted by subi-crosser View Post
Sounds like a 'drivers meeting' at an autocross!! You get to learn where the 'edge' is without killing someone!!

No, really, I learned to drive on dirt roads playing a 'game' called "Thunder Road" with my little buddy Charlie! (stolen from a Movie starring Robert Mitchem, running moonshine, 1960)
We had a 55 Ford and a 52 Dodge and 50 acres of 'home made' roads!!. The Dodge had a Hemi and a 3 speed and the Ford was a 312, 3 speed. We would chase each other all over Dan's Mountain for hours/days!! This happened for 2 years till we were old enough to get a permit!
I never had a problem after that with 'saving' an out of control Dodge!
We were sideways as much as we were pointed in the right direction!!

I guess that is why I still have the 61 Ford that I bought in 1972!!

I managed to 'save' it when it went sidewards!!

Really, this looks to be a VALUABLE ASSET to young drivers!! We did it on our own, with NO 'Adult supervision', but the end result is the same! WE LEARNED to DRIVE, without killing someone!!

I wish every kid had 50 acres of homemade roads and an old rusty Dodge!!

I have not seen Charlie for 30 years....... On the way home from my Dr's appt TODAY, I stopped at my Brothers house to look at a tree that needed to fall down.

I had finished my visit and climbed into the Outback for the ride home when CHARLIE pulled into the DRIVEWAY and blocked my exit!!!

I never would have KNOWN that it was HIM!! He has changed so much!!

What was it, 2 days ago, I mentioned someone that I have not seen for 30 years?? (and run into him 2 days later!!!!) "Outer- Limits' theme song here!!!!!

Jerry
Old 10-12-2008, 05:18 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

so the Survival Program was today
i woke up bright and early to be in lincoln by 7:30-8

it was actually a really cool experience
they would never say that they teach "performance/racing" techniques, its strictly about street survival stuff

but anyway, it was basically an amateur autocross
with class sessions in between

here are a few pics

i had the coolest car there...

1987 BMW 325is

Old 10-12-2008, 10:57 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
so the Survival Program was today
i woke up bright and early to be in lincoln by 7:30-8

it was actually a really cool experience
they would never say that they teach "performance/racing" techniques, its strictly about street survival stuff

but anyway, it was basically an amateur autocross
with class sessions in between

here are a few pics

i had the coolest car there...

CONGRATS!!!!!

You have now completed 'auto-cross' 100!! You are now ready for 101!! BE there at the airport by 8:00 am for 'tech'!!

Jerry
Old 10-13-2008, 10:12 PM
svxless

Registered SVX

this coming weekend there is an official auto cross in lincoln, ne, again, this time at the airport, that i would like to go to
if not to drive, at least to watch...but im sure after awhile i'd want to get behind the wheel

little story about the program i went to: one thing they had us do was run a course normally and then run it again with something in our hand held up to our ear (like a cell phone) for us to see how much worse we would do while driving
...i, honestly, did very well ahaha
the guy was getting kind of frustrated because i was supposed to be doing worse than i was
so idk what that says about me...cause i dont ever talk on the phone while driving

1987 BMW 325is

Old 10-14-2008, 08:14 PM
Now with more color

Quote:
this coming weekend there is an official auto cross in lincoln, ne, again, this time at the airport, that i would like to go to
if not to drive, at least to watch...but im sure after awhile i'd want to get behind the wheel

little story about the program i went to: one thing they had us do was run a course normally and then run it again with something in our hand held up to our ear (like a cell phone) for us to see how much worse we would do while driving
...i, honestly, did very well ahaha
the guy was getting kind of frustrated because i was supposed to be doing worse than i was
so idk what that says about me...cause i dont ever talk on the phone while driving

GOOD show!! I usually try to stop when on the phone too. The Rabbit diesel helps!! (Can't hear it anyway)

Yea, I watched my first auto-X for an hour. Then I was at the farm pulling floor mats, vacuming, etc. for 'tech'!!

Jerry

Last edited by subi-crosser; 10-14-2008 at 08:17 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: