SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 02-19-2008, 07:21 AM

yet another starting problem

well it seems this is a never ending battle

when i go to start the car it again is having rough idle,or just won't start
cranks cranks cranks

anyways i tracked it down to the cam position sensor again. but i know it's not the sensor because the sensor is new. i thought it was the connection. so i took the 2 wires out of the connector hooked it straight to the sensor. and that seemed to work perfectly yesterday

this mornin i got to the car same problem again. checked the 2 wires they are tight on the sensor..

now here's the problem i don't understand. if someone is starting the car.. i can wiggle (push or pull the sensor back n forth) at one spot it would run perfectly but if i let go it shuts off or runs rough... i checked the mounting bolts and they are tight also the bolt that holds the sensor to the adapter is also tight

i'm at a lost now
Old 02-19-2008, 09:22 AM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
solder in a new sensor pig tail
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 02-19-2008, 04:41 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanerush View Post
now here's the problem i don't understand. if someone is starting the car.. i can wiggle (push or pull the sensor back n forth) at one spot it would run perfectly but if i let go it shuts off or runs rough... i checked the mounting bolts and they are tight also the bolt that holds the sensor to the adapter is also tight

i'm at a lost now
It would appear to me that you have isolated the problem in that something is loose, whereas it should not be. Is this because the new component is faulty; or because it is not fitting correctly; or because an electyrical connection is faulty?

You must investigate further regarding any perceivable movement. If there is none, surely there is an internal fault within the new sensor.

In all of this, take into account that the clearance between the sensor and the magnetic surface involved, is critical.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-20-2008, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
It would appear to me that you have isolated the problem in that something is loose, whereas it should not be. Is this because the new component is faulty; or because it is not fitting correctly; or because an electyrical connection is faulty?

You must investigate further regarding any perceivable movement. If there is none, surely there is an internal fault within the new sensor.

In all of this, take into account that the clearance between the sensor and the magnetic surface involved, is critical.
last night i took off the cam cover and checked things out... everything seems like it's doing what it's sposed to. cam sprocket isn't touching the sensor and isn't too close to it... i changed the sensor again and carefully looked at it...

it seems the top of the sensor (plastic part) is loose from the metal part. and came up with a theory that the battery sliding around banged up the sensor. because this whole thing started with broken connectors on the cam sensor. so i strapped the battery down..

knock on wood... everything is working now.. so we'll see how long till the next problem shows up...

the odd part of all this is that before the cam connector was broken.. the fuel injector connectors got smashed up somehow.. can't quite figure out how that happened...when i swapped the engine i made sure none of the connectors were broken....maybe someone from above is messing with me

LoL
Old 02-20-2008, 03:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Octanerush View Post
last night i took off the cam cover and checked things out... everything seems like it's doing what it's sposed to. cam sprocket isn't touching the sensor and isn't too close to it... i changed the sensor again and carefully looked at it...

it seems the top of the sensor (plastic part) is loose from the metal part. and came up with a theory that the battery sliding around banged up the sensor. because this whole thing started with broken connectors on the cam sensor. so i strapped the battery down..

knock on wood... everything is working now.. so we'll see how long till the next problem shows up...

the odd part of all this is that before the cam connector was broken.. the fuel injector connectors got smashed up somehow.. can't quite figure out how that happened...when i swapped the engine i made sure none of the connectors were broken....maybe someone from above is messing with me

LoL
You should not be LOL.

Poorly mounted batteries are one of the most common causes of engine compartment fires. A directly and solidly short circuited battery is a fearsome thing.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!