Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-08-2007, 07:50 PM
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to sicksubie Send a message via AIM to sicksubie Send a message via Skype™ to sicksubie
It is CFM's that matter or lbs/min not speed of air.... A leaf blower has the ability to move larger volumes of air than a small prop in your intake..... I am not saying don't try it, go for it. However, understand that it does not make any sense at all and do not be upset when dyno ##'s stay the same or decrease..
2017 Ford Raptor
2017 Kawasaki KLR
1995 Guards Red Carrera
1995 Spec-ish Miata - track car
1957 CJ-5
Old 12-08-2007, 07:56 PM

i know what you meen, before i even put the prop in my intake im am gonig to test everybit of it outside the intake so that i dont wast my time and if i find an error, i wont mess my engine up!! , and i will use my boost gauage on this one, and i do suppose i have to be at WOT to turn it on
Old 12-08-2007, 10:36 PM

ok... finaly got the prop on... rigged up a system where the prop was inside a short tube... ran the motor on full throttle with 1/2 charged battery.... this tube had a curve in it.. same tube from the stock intake that connects to the MAF of our svx, i just cut off the flex piece... but anyways... id have to say it pushed out if not more or equal to my gas powerd leaf blower with a 200mph wind rating on it..... i had to have my rigged system completly taped down lol...i will take photos soon, and a video on youtube...
Old 12-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Send a message via MSN to Guyver280z
Try something... this will give you an idea of how many CFM's/PSI your prop can build...

Cover the air outlet of your prop with your hand and turn it on.... if you feel that the air wants to leak from your hand then you're building some pressure... but Im sure you will onle feel like you say "Fast air" but no pressure at all.... why??? Props CANT build pressure because all the pressure leaks back trought the prop...

All that empty area that the prop is not covering leaks back any pressure it could build... if you notice the design of a turbom the fins are tight to the inner walls of the core,,, not letting the pressure to leak back....

I can believe your prop blows fast.... but im shure your engine sucks ais probably faster than your prop.

If you really want to buils pressure forget about the prop and use a different kind of blower... like the leaf blower.... but still you have to find the space to store it inside the engine and the energy to move it.

I think its cool you like to find out this kind of things by yourself. And I really support people that always tries to find a way around the conventional... thanks to those guys now we have hybrid technology powering cars, hydrogen cell's and even water powered engines.... Just keep it real
Old 12-10-2007, 12:43 PM

i put my project to an end... i relized that though my prop was good and the blads were close to eachother where little air could get back, and it blew fast... the motor would instantly overheatt, not to mention id have to use an r/c car controller to turn it on while driving , i will look further into using an electric leaf blower with a power inverter, theres a vid on youtube with a guy using one and it has 6 psi....
Old 12-10-2007, 10:21 PM
Missing in action

Send a message via AIM to It's Just Eric
Registered SVX
Why not use an electric motor to turn the compressor half of a turbocharger? I could see a setup like that working well
You're gone but not forgotten. I mean, sure, I kindof don't remember some of the finer details..but I remember you were funny, and at one point you said spaghetti in Dutch....but definantly not forgotten

Old 12-10-2007, 10:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by It's Just Eric View Post
Why not use an electric motor to turn the compressor half of a turbocharger? I could see a setup like that working well
If it were possible to achieve the required RPM, without the losses involved in gearing.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 12-10-2007, 11:02 PM

lol its been done, right here, the guy makes nice electric turbo's but they are pricey for only 20 sec. of boost..
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php
Old 12-11-2007, 12:34 AM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruisen_15 View Post
lol its been done, right here, the guy makes nice electric turbo's but they are pricey for only 20 sec. of boost..
http://www.boosthead.com/home.php
A 15 - 20 sec. useful run time illustrates the efficiency of gearing.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!