SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2005, 09:30 AM
red95svx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg
Sinse when is a 92 SVX 8G more??? I havnt even seen one for $8000 asking! I paid 8 for my 94 2 years ago, but it also only had 20K miles. I'd say a decent 92 will run you between 4 and 6 at the most. Also are the times for the camaro for a manual or an auto tranny? The SVX is a hell of a lot faster with a manual.

He meant price BRAND NEW, not used.

Dave
Old 07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Killer of threads

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87f383
Where the hell did you find that slow time from? Was that a f'n L03 car? ...They are quite a bit faster that a 15.2 I own both a f-body and SVX.
I love my SVX and all...but no reason to live in a world of delusions.

pnyklr posted that, I was just fixing some things in his post and giving suggestions.

dustin

1992 Ebony LS-L w/191k miles Mods: a few and acouple more

1995 Brilliant Red L/AWD w/154k miles Mods: Stebro catback exhaust, K&N drop in filter, ECUtune ST1v5, 4.44, lots of JDM goodies

1992 Pearly LS-L w/154k miles Sold Mods: 4.11, rust

2008 DGM Legacy spec.B w/245k miles Mods: Cryotune Stage3, VF52, bushings galore, STi pink springs, Bilstein HDs

My Locker

The only man alive who drives three "Subu SVS's".......according to my insurance company
Old 07-18-2005, 10:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Quote:
Originally Posted by red95svx
He meant price BRAND NEW, not used.

Dave
Oh, Sorry. I'll go back to sleep now.
Old 07-18-2005, 12:24 PM
Good morning!

Send a message via AIM to NapaBavarian Send a message via Yahoo to NapaBavarian
Quote:
Originally Posted by budfreak1
BTW, just to stop an arguement before it starts, the gta was not stock at all but it had nothing but bolt on and little tricks i learned here and there. NO internal mods.350 L98 with 700 r4

You got the key phrase right there, The Fbody is probably the most modable NA car out there, the HUGE displacement has no buisness pumping only 200hp, when I say slow it is because the 5.7l Trans Am is only slightly faster than a same year 2.5l BMW 325is, and not that much heavier, it isn't a dog, just kinda slow for what it is, mods should change that
Return of the Pissed Platypus! X2
My dream (other than a pearlie)
1.8 SVXi and a laguna blue spoiler...somewhere
I decided to quit drinking, but I didn't like it so I quit not drinking.
Old 07-18-2005, 01:52 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Correction, 3750 (at least that was the weight we got for a wet 92 with all the correct stuff in it.
Do you have a write up on all you did to your SVX for weight reduction?

I'm very interested. I read your car's bio on your site, very interesting and inspiring. I'm strongly considering keeping my car and doing a 5MT conversion. Perhaps I'll work on building it up as a race car as well.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 07-18-2005, 01:54 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
put my 4.11 5mt against a stocker 5mt f-body and watch the show. it is just simple. those late 80's 350s did nothing in the lines of power, they just guzzled big amounts of fuel. I used to have an old TBI 350 in my truck that I converted from a 4.3l. Thing was quick, but deff lacked power but hand penty of torque to go around. I was the only guy in woods not geting stuck and I only had 2wd. it is simple. until the stock 5.7 got the multiport injection, their motors needed mods to make any power but at the expense of fuel economy. The efficiency and power of the 3.3h6 against the 5.7v8 is a dumb comarison. why do u think i bought a more powerful car that got better mileage?? 8mpg wasn't doing it for me anymore and that was on a rebuilt motor with a couple mods done to it already

Tom
Old 07-18-2005, 02:37 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieSVX
Do you have a write up on all you did to your SVX for weight reduction?

I'm very interested. I read your car's bio on your site, very interesting and inspiring. I'm strongly considering keeping my car and doing a 5MT conversion. Perhaps I'll work on building it up as a race car as well.
hmmm....
Interior;
Has - Seat (plastic/light), Harness, Steering wheel, Gauge cluster (zip tied to the fire wall)
Doesn't have - moveable glass/mechanism's, interior trim, passenger seats, dash, anything else

Engine Bay;
Doesn't have - AC Compressor/Bracket/condensor/piping, timing belt covers, ABS pump (hopefully removed soon), hood hinges and struts, battery (moved to trunk)

Elsewhere - Bumper beams are gone, heat shielding is gone, some extra sheet metal is gone, extra bolts are gone...

It is hard to keep track of it all, but there really isn't much left that isn't needed. But, "needed" does include things like bumper covers,empty lamp assembly's and exterior trim to maintain the external look of the car.

All together about 700#'s are no longer with us
Old 07-18-2005, 02:47 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Would love to see another race out west. My suggestion would be to find one that already has a gone tranny and start with it. Dings, who cares, dents, fine, scrapes on bumpers, great as you'll get 'em trailering the thing anyways.

Hopefully in a few weeks the bio will get more updates after we just stuffed an awd tranny back in. We're both kinda partical to the auto as it seems to be better suited as far as gearing to autoxing. That 1st on the manual winds out kinda weird. Too slow for most courses not to get caught between gears a lot.

Oh yeah, hopefully we'll see how well it does in 2 weeks against your current ride. Rufus is supossed to be at the 31st event with his S4. Biggest problem is parts (as with the stocker). I bought WRX springs on a whim and they fit somewhat decently. We'll find out what they do next time out. Not being street legal sucks sometimes!
Old 07-18-2005, 03:17 PM
shiftin' an automatic

Send a message via AIM to EddieSVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by benebob
Would love to see another race out west. My suggestion would be to find one that already has a gone tranny and start with it. Dings, who cares, dents, fine, scrapes on bumpers, great as you'll get 'em trailering the thing anyways.

Hopefully in a few weeks the bio will get more updates after we just stuffed an awd tranny back in. We're both kinda partical to the auto as it seems to be better suited as far as gearing to autoxing. That 1st on the manual winds out kinda weird. Too slow for most courses not to get caught between gears a lot.

Oh yeah, hopefully we'll see how well it does in 2 weeks against your current ride. Rufus is supossed to be at the 31st event with his S4. Biggest problem is parts (as with the stocker). I bought WRX springs on a whim and they fit somewhat decently. We'll find out what they do next time out. Not being street legal sucks sometimes!
I think it's awesome what you guys are doing. Such a beautiful car, and seeing it perform at the track has got to be quite the sight.

I was going to make my S4 a project "street legal" car, but I think I'm now leaning more towards making the SVX a track race car.
'92 SVX LS-L (For Sale! Info and link to pics... ) #9536 blt. 4/92 (late boomer '92)
'01 Audi S4 (2.7L Twin Turbo - 6MT)
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EddieSVX
I think it's awesome what you guys are doing. Such a beautiful car, and seeing it perform at the track has got to be quite the sight.

I was going to make my S4 a project "street legal" car, but I think I'm now leaning more towards making the SVX a track race car.
You're the first other than Hocrest and myself to call it beautiful . Maybe you need an eye exam too! . We were planning to get the front bumper painted but it has definately grown on me. Almost to the point that I'm ready to get black cladding and a black rear bumper for her. I'm sure the SVX would be a cheaper way to go. Problem is you'll wanna tow it once you get it so that means a trailer and truck.
Old 07-18-2005, 03:30 PM
Hitchhikin'

I find it somewhat funny that a GN owner is trying to defend the SVX in a debate against a camaro... GN owners should understand the speed/price value of a camaro vs. an SVX...

Also, an SVX is not a car to buy if you want low-maintenance. I would certainly take a camaro over an SVX in that aspect... Repairs are too damn expensive for the SVX. It's not really possible to compare an SVX on a general scale to anything besides other grand tourers (3000GT, etc.). Especially since you can't quantify the luxury aspect of the SVX.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Wink

can't agree more there. the svx costs me damn near my first born when something breaks. and as far as gas mileage is concerned, my trans am beat the svx in that too. over 20 miles to the gallon at all times unless i'm really rompin on it. the svx is usually lucky to even get up to 20 mpg. just now started getting better gas mileage in the svx and it took acetone in the tank to do it.i got 220 miles to 5/8 of a tank in the svx with the acetone. without it i only get about 150 to 175. and that's a bigger tank than my gta too. the gta could go about 350 to 375 miles to a full 15.5 gallon tank.i don't know if i've ever gotten over 300 miles to a tank on the svx before. that's pretty sad in my opinion considering the power my gta made versus the svx. but you are right that only 210 horses from the stock 350 was pretty lame compared to what they get from the little 3.3. but the trans am is 6 times more modable than the svx and is probally a better bang for the buck. i still love my svx but damn do i want another gta!

Last edited by Budfreak; 07-18-2005 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:40 PM
No longer blue member

Send a message via AIM to SubaSteevo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red SVX 92
I find it somewhat funny that a GN owner is trying to defend the SVX in a debate against a camaro... GN owners should understand the speed/price value of a camaro vs. an SVX...

Also, an SVX is not a car to buy if you want low-maintenance. I would certainly take a camaro over an SVX in that aspect... Repairs are too damn expensive for the SVX. It's not really possible to compare an SVX on a general scale to anything besides other grand tourers (3000GT, etc.). Especially since you can't quantify the luxury aspect of the SVX.
I'm sorry to disagree but I've known 3 people with Camaros (one Z28, two base), and all 3 were a POS. I think any one of them spent more time in the shop then the 3 did on the road combined.

Member #895(the member formerly known as BurgundyBeast)
01' MSM Lexus IS300
Old 07-18-2005, 10:46 PM
Banned
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Budfreak
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurgundyBeast
I'm sorry to disagree but I've known 3 people with Camaros (one Z28, two base), and all 3 were a POS. I think any one of them spent more time in the shop then the 3 did on the road combined.

the only part of that that i can agree with is like the svx, the trannies are junk in them. i went through 4 in one year but it was kinda my own fault for throwing in trannies from camaros and birds instead of the one from the vette like i needed.i was just putting far to much power through them. i even had one that was rebuilt and it only lasted 2000 miles before the pump crapped out. i should have had one built but i couldn't afford it at the time. that was the main reason i got rid of it. i was tired of wondering every run if it would be the run that killed another tranny.
Old 07-18-2005, 10:47 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
If you need "HELP" defending the SVX, you shouldn't have one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnyklr
link you dont have to register I'll post them on the site
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI