Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-13-2005, 10:54 PM
Row faster...I hear banjos!!!!

Post At the dragstrip on Friday the 13th!

I went to Virginia MotorSports Park tonight to get my first shake-down runs in 1/4 mile following my successful 4.44 trans swap with Svxfiles and Green_eyed_lady last weekend!

While in Richmond, I met up with a member on the legacygt.com forum named itr_eg - we knew who the other person was right away based on the discussions we had previously on that forum. His lightly modded silver 5spd 2.5 LGT was awesome and posted some quick times tonight (14.09 @ ~97mph was his new personal best)!

The temps this evening hovered in the mid 60's with a pretty high humidity level.

After passing tech...

I waited in the Staging Lanes with itr_eg and his girlfriend...

until it was time to race...

I still have a little tweaking to do on my launch (messed up my first pass ), and my best run of the night was a 15.063 @ 91.27mph with a 2.13 60ft:

-Chike

P.S. On my first run, I went 15.1 at 90+mph with a 2.4 60ft time. I tried launching at stall speed, but even with the brakes pedal mashed down, my car lurched forward tripping the starting light. I didn't panic, but took my foot of the gas and launch from idle. Needless to say that run was botched!!!

P.P.S. There were a lot of other cool cars out there tonight. I watched an '04 6MT Pontiac GTO turn a 12.8 in the 1/4 and a WRC Blue STI run a 13.24 @ 102mph. I counted over 5 SRT-4's, but didn't pay too much attention to their times as they were a dime-a-dozen at the strip tonight...

2013 Cosmic Blue 5spd Evo X GSR
2006 Galaxy Gray 6MT RX-8 (sold)
2006 Steel Gray WRX TR (sold)
1996 Brilliant Red SVX L (sold)
Old 05-13-2005, 11:11 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
Killer time man!! With my times that I was running for the 1st 6 runs of the night, you would have blown me away Anyway Your trap speeds are telling me you are putting down some serious power. Infact your car with my driveline would probobly be running low 14's maybe closer to mid but it would still be killer!! You got a sweet ass powerplant in your baby take good care of her. With a better launch you will be destined to have that 14 second run. I just wanna say a serious congrats for having the fastest stock(relatively) auto out there. Just don't drive the wheels off this transmission (like I should talk). Great times man i will see u in June for our matchup whenever u schedule it.

Tom
Old 05-13-2005, 11:13 PM
Maniac modifier

BTW there were about a dozen or so srt-4's at Atco also....the new "Me Too" car All the more reason for me to laugh at their 2.5 60' times

Tom
Old 05-13-2005, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomssvx
Killer time man!! With my times that I was running for the 1st 6 runs of the night, you would have blown me away Anyway Your trap speeds are telling me you are putting down some serious power. Infact your car with my driveline would probobly be running low 14's maybe closer to mid but it would still be killer!! You got a sweet ass powerplant in your baby take good care of her. With a better launch you will be destined to have that 14 second run. I just wanna say a serious congrats for having the fastest stock(relatively) auto out there. Just don't drive the wheels off this transmission (like I should talk). Great times man i will see u in June for our matchup whenever u schedule it.

Tom
Thanks Tom. I really need to find a way to launch at my stall. The 4.44 gears in my car now provide so much torque that I can't raise the revs above 2200 rpms without risking a red light...

Even with the sticky VHT they spread at the track, my car was still able to briefly spin all four tires coming off the line - a pretty cool feeling indeed!

I could have had a 14 on my first run if I had cut a 2.1 60ft time like I did on my subsequent two runs (went 15.1 @ 90, then a 15.06 @ 91, and ended with a 15.2 at 89.5). My manifold was just getting hotter as the night went on following the 1 3/4 hr drive to the drag strip (phenolic spacers helped out quite a bit though).

Next time I guess...

-Chike

P.S. I don't know of a faster awd 4EAT SVX out there, but Poweredx2 went 14.8 all-motor in his fwd SVX - even though the powertrain loss in fwd car is no comparison to that in an awd!

Old 05-13-2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:
BTW there were about a dozen or so srt-4's at Atco also....the new "Me Too" car All the more reason for me to laugh at their 2.5 60' times

Tom
You know, I counted five SRT-4's that were one behind the other in the staging lanes, however, they were at least two more in the parking lot. Those really are the latest "Me Too" cars!!!

-Chike

Old 05-13-2005, 11:51 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Chike,
Great time! You'd probably have broken the 15 second mark if it wasn't for the FPR
Did you do all of your runs with the trans in "D"?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-14-2005, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
Great time! You'd probably have broken the 15 second mark if it wasn't for the FPR
Did you do all of your runs with the trans in "D"?
-Bill
Thanks Bill!

You never know about that Impreza fpr - it's too early for a verdict on it yet... (my tailpipes definitely don't look like a car with an afr between 12:1-11:1 above 5,000rpms)

I did all of my runs with the trans in 'D' for consistency. Need to figure out the launch. With a 2500rpm launch, I'll be in the 2.0 60ft range for certain.

-Chike

Old 05-14-2005, 07:44 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:

Tom
srt-4 is fastAr

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-14-2005, 07:45 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
You know, I counted five SRT-4's that were one behind the other in the staging lanes, however, they were at least two more in the parking lot. Those really are the latest "Me Too" cars!!!

-Chike
Too bad their gonna stop making them

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 05-14-2005, 12:57 PM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiketkd
Thanks Bill!

You never know about that Impreza fpr - it's too early for a verdict on it yet... (my tailpipes definitely don't look like a car with an afr between 12:1-11:1 above 5,000rpms)

I did all of my runs with the trans in 'D' for consistency. Need to figure out the launch. With a 2500rpm launch, I'll be in the 2.0 60ft range for certain.

-Chike
Chike,
You might try launching with the trans in 2nd - my only concern is that with the 4.44 you might get a bunch of wheel spin. Did you stage "deep" or "shallow"?
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 05-14-2005, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVXRide
Chike,
You might try launching with the trans in 2nd - my only concern is that with the 4.44 you might get a bunch of wheel spin. Did you stage "deep" or "shallow"?
-Bill
Bill,

I don't think I'm making enough power to call for a launch in 2nd gear...

I always deep stage at the strip. I'll try bleeding my brake lines in hopes of getting an even firmer pedal. If that doesn't work, I'll switch to some stainless brake lines before the cool weather in the Fall rolls around...

-Chike

Old 05-14-2005, 08:03 PM

G-Tech...

I forgot to mention that I hooked up my G-tech to test its accuracy on my last run. I mounted it in the center of my windshield, and made sure it was both level and pointing straight forward.

At the end of the 1/4 mile, the g-tech read a 15.21 @ 91mph - my actual time was a 15.20 @ 89.5mph...

-Chike

Old 05-14-2005, 09:54 PM
Maniac modifier

so uh..... when r u gonna set up our drag showdown? About how many runs would we get in then?? Please let me know ahead of time.

Tom
Old 05-15-2005, 06:56 AM

Quote:
so uh..... when r u gonna set up our drag showdown? About how many runs would we get in then?? Please let me know ahead of time.

Tom
Sorry. I'll start that thread later today. It'll be in Hagerstown, MD at Mason-Dixon Dragway on Saturday June 25th when they're having a test-n-tune. Not sure how many runs we'll be able to get in as it's really dependent on the number of cars that show up that day. In my experience, it can range anywhere from 3-4 minimum up to 10+!

-Chike

P.S. Btw, I don't think I'll have the time to go back to the dragstrip before then. My wife and I close on our house next Friday (May 20th) and I start my new position (Acct Manager & Head of Business Development) on June 1st.

Old 05-15-2005, 01:01 PM
Maniac modifier

good luck with that new job. Better be worth you missing our drag meet at Atco. I should see u in Maryland on the 25th. I will still be N/A then, maybe just the stage 2 chip waiting for the nitrous kit. Money is starting to flow for me again so we will see. I got my new trans mount comming in the mail this week and if all goes as planned Jesse and I will have my new X-member in. So after that, it is all just waiting for the funds to shoot the spray(Fast and Furious terminology).

Tom(soon to be a nitrous member)