How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Not Exactly SVX

Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 PM
no limitation as limitation

computer help wattage

ok hears the problem i just upgraded to a geforce 6800 gt from an ati x700pro and it sucks so much watts from my system that it shuts down.

i have a 480watt (is that max or rms) now and i think i need to upgrade. hears whats in the case

abit ag8 mobo
intel p4 3.0 ht
2 gig ram
nec dual layer dvd burner
no nome dvd drive
no name cd burner
Western digital 7200 rpm 250 gig hd
western digital raptor 75 gig hd
2 vantec tornado fans on the case @5700rpm 12 volt
2 origonal coolermaster fans that came wiht the case
a termaltakecooling tower with two vantecc tornado fans @5700rpm 12 volt
XFX nvidia geforce6800 gt

can anyone tell me what is a good psu to buy im looking at this but will it be enough watts linky
Old 02-04-2005, 08:12 PM

oh and its all squeezed into a silver coolermaster wave master case that GLOWS LIKE TRON
Old 02-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
I'm running virtually the same amount of devices that you are, only i'm doing it with a 380w PSU. The difference between mine and yours is that my card is AGP 8. I HATE PCI express, and at least for now, i'm avoiding it like poison. There's no reason you should need more power than what you have to run that system. I have the same amount of drives, 7 fans and a digital fan controller, and never had so much as a blip in power. Then again, it could just be a cheap power supply? My case is an Alienware server tower...although i don't remember the PSU brand...Antec I think.

EDIT: I just noticed the cooling tower...i don't have that. I have no idea what kind of power those things take, but that could be the problem too I suppose. Talk about power hungry
Old 02-04-2005, 11:01 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
I have an IBM Server with dual xenons, SCSI drives and such that take up less juice than what you have. Wow.

Take off some fans and kill that light. That ought to help.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 02-05-2005, 12:20 AM

the light is an single led. the cooling tower does suck alot of juice because the fans that are on it are the biggest 80mm fans they make they flow at 90cfm outside of water cooling which im not experienced enough to undertake its the only way to keep my system at a good running temp.

i talked to a guy at buest buy and he said the problem might me that im useing an atx 1.0 psu on an atx12v 2.0 mobo. the diference is that on the 2.0 their is a 24 pin mobo plug instead of 20 maybe i dont know. right now i have all my optical drives unpluged except for one and the case is open so i dont have the case fans on. but as soon as i plug other stuff in i get an error message from the graphics card saying that "because of insufficent power your resolution has been lowered". i dont know about you but i had fraggin in 800x600. the guy at best buy also told me to check out the wattage draw on all my components but i dont know where to look.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:23 AM

seraph if i dont have the L.A.H. (loud as he11) fans on how will i know its working???
Old 02-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Takin tools to task

Send a message via MSN to NikFu S.
Registered SVX
I'd just get a 600W supply. The PC I built for my mom is a Coolermaster tower with ridiculous fans on it as well, sans neon lighting. The 430W supply burned out after only 2 years. I put a 600 in there last September or thereabouts. Should last forever provided she no longer lets people DL trojans and crap to my work of art.

'92 Dark Teal SVX LS-L, >146,000m
3 pedals, 5 speeds., restoration underway.
2012 Honda Insight, slow but cute.

Last edited by NikFu S.; 02-05-2005 at 12:59 AM.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:55 AM

i kind of upsets me how such a nice case has terribol airflow. id water cool it if it wasnt so expensive . the neon thing is a blue led the glows in the front of the case it comes stock on the wave master.

but yeah if anyone wants an x700pro pci e gpu im selling mine on ebay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...162719084&rd=1

i upgraded because i thought i broke the ati but it turns out that i just needed to reset my moniter. by the time i found that out i already orderd the 6800gt and it was to late.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:27 PM
ThetaReactor

It actually tells you that the graphics card isn't getting enough power? I don't wanna offend you, but you do know that the 6800 needs its own molex off the PSU, right?
Old 02-05-2005, 07:57 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by ThetaReactor
It actually tells you that the graphics card isn't getting enough power? I don't wanna offend you, but you do know that the 6800 needs its own molex off the PSU, right?
seconded make sure that no other peripherals are connected to the molex going to the GPU
phil
Old 02-05-2005, 08:28 PM

this might seem dumb, but you do know that not all power supplies put out the same current at the various voltage levels, i.e., 3 amps @ 12V and 3 amps @ 3.3V vice say 2 @ 12 and 6.7 @ 3.3 - both get rated the same wattage, but have different impacts for processors and cards.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:55 PM
Rep from the outside world

Send a message via AIM to Shadow248
That's what I was thinking...maybe it's just that you need a better quality PSU. I can't say cause I don't know what you have. Honestly, I don't even know what I have...but it's crankin away with just about the same setup you have, and less watts.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:45 AM

i have an antec psu its rated at 430 watts but the problem is thats not rms its max output so i have no idea what the power cycle is like without pulling it out and testing it, and i dont have the equipment to do that in my apartment. i have everthing unpluged except fot the cpu cooler fans one cd drive, mobo 2 hds and of corse the gpu and i have stability enough for editing or a game. as soon as my old gpu sells on ebay im going to water cool the system so i can unload the high power fans. i had a friend check the load on one of the fans im useing and he said that the drain on it was amazing, this is understandable because their the bigest 80mm fans one can buy, im useing 6 of them so u can imagine what thats doing to the power cycle. i can hear the fans flux between 5700rpm and ~4500 as the power levels go up and down. the water cooler is a koolance exos that runs on a seporate power source so that sould do the trick. if not i can always get a bigger psu. im also going with the water cooler because the 50 dbs fans are starting to wear down my nerves i spend about 8 hours a day working at my desk and its real hard to concertrate with that kind of sound coming from my case, go into you bathroom and turn you hair dryer on high and thats almost as loud as my computer. when i designed this system i didnt take into account the heat that eminates from the prescot processor so i had to upgrade the cooling system if i knew then what i do now i would have goten an atx case from koolance with the cooler in it. but this has been a good learning experience for me.
Old 02-06-2005, 12:50 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lee
this might seem dumb, but you do know that not all power supplies put out the same current at the various voltage levels, i.e., 3 amps @ 12V and 3 amps @ 3.3V vice say 2 @ 12 and 6.7 @ 3.3 - both get rated the same wattage, but have different impacts for processors and cards.
mine has two outputs, one is 3amps@12V and the other 3@6volts that is labeled fan only. because i dont have the proper 3x2 6pin plug on my psu for the gpu i have to use the adapto that uses 2 molex plugs. thats a bit of a hassel but its no big deal the fans im useing require 12V so as of now i only have plugs enough for 2 maybe 3 at best and my cooling tower uses two 80 mm fans.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:46 AM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOST

Send a message via AIM to Phast SVX
the reason this is suprising me is...
Im running an Antec 350Watt Trupower
AMD XP2700, 200fsx12(2.4ghz, 400fsb) 1.85 vots,
thermaktake@5000rpms to cool it
333 DDR @2.7 volts up to 175FSB
3 ultra ATA's
dvdr-rom
cdrom
6800@ 16/6 with ultra flash(running ultra voltage and 400gpu/860mhz mem untill water cooled)
2 80mms, 60 millimeters, and 2 minis on the front to cool everything( 55c for proccesor on load and 50idle)

Im running all this no problem, and i know im pushing it.
i cant say that the PCIE isnt the culprit here, whicch i dont think it would be, but defietly something sounds fishy.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: