Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Interior Mods

Old 12-16-2004, 10:45 AM

SVX Guages - new look

Here are a couple of pics of a work in process:

I'm playing around with a spare set of Gauges until I get the look I want. Then I'll duplicate the good parts on my stock set.

Ultimately, I'm going to install white reverse glow overlays, but will keep the silver rings. I'm also making white overlays for the two oft ignored ones: the upper left and right lights that depict the side view (FWD, ASR, & AT OIL TEMP lights) and top view (door ajar and seat belt indicators) of the SVX. Since I have a 5-speed, I'm also tired of looking at the transmission position indicator lights, so those will be conered up as well. I'll take picture along the way and probably make this a HOW-TO.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash trim rings.jpg (37.1 KB, 489 views)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:48 AM

Here are the upper left and right white overlays

Here are the v.1 overlays. I'll probably end up making them with blue lines (vs. black) to match the blus of the Reverse Glow EL overlays.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dash white overlays.jpg (48.9 KB, 427 views)
Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
Thumbs up

I really like the trim rings!!!

The White reverse indiglo aren't my cup of tea, but I'm sure yours will look great!

How did you do those trim rings?

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-16-2004, 10:52 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
The silver rings add a nice touch without going overboard.....
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 12-16-2004, 11:05 AM

Silver Trim Rings

Believe it or not, the rings are model paint. I'm using a $3.00 Testors silver paint marker.

I've looked for different pre-made bezels, but they're either the wrong size (ID & OD) or too darn thick. Since I have a spare dash, I started playing around with different paints and brushes and then found the paint marker. The size of the marker (both tip and barrel) gives me better control than a brush. You have to be patient and have a very still hand so this is not a mod to try after a couple of Starbucks or tequila shots.

I've tied to imagine every possibility of masking the dash, but the compound curves and tight spaces preclude me from such fanciful thoughts. The openings in the dash for the guages do have a nice radius that actuall helps the paint line stay pretty straight with no masking. Also, I figure if I slip up, I can always use an exacto knife blade to clean up (scrape off) any paint that strays from the proper ring appearance. I'll post the finished product and some of the steps along the way when I'm finished.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:18 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Silver Trim Rings

Quote:
Originally posted by gsodonis
Believe it or not, the rings are model paint. I'm using a $3.00 Testors silver paint marker.

I've looked for different pre-made bezels, but they're either the wrong size (ID & OD) or too darn thick. Since I have a spare dash, I started playing around with different paints and brushes and then found the paint marker. The size of the marker (both tip and barrel) gives me better control than a brush. You have to be patient and have a very still hand so this is not a mod to try after a couple of Starbucks or tequila shots.

I've tied to imagine every possibility of masking the dash, but the compound curves and tight spaces preclude me from such fanciful thoughts. The openings in the dash for the guages do have a nice radius that actuall helps the paint line stay pretty straight with no masking. Also, I figure if I slip up, I can always use an exacto knife blade to clean up (scrape off) any paint that strays from the proper ring appearance. I'll post the finished product and some of the steps along the way when I'm finished.
mmm, your lines are not perfect circles, this is what you should make:
1- draw on a piece of vynil slightly bigger diameters than the gauges (more by around 2 millimeter).
2- cut them correctly and stick them right on the gauges contour
3- the Vynil circle will look slightly bigger than the gauge circles on the dash, so there is black plastic finish in between them
4- get your marker and paint the plastic with silver and leave it over night to dry up
5- gently remove the vynil off the gauges and you will have a nice straight circles = professional job

I hope I explained well...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:38 AM

Re: Re: Silver Trim Rings

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

mmm, your lines are not perfect circles, this is what you should make:
1- draw on a piece of vynil slightly bigger diameters than the gauges (more by around 2 millimeter).
2- cut them correctly and stick them right on the gauges contour
SilverSpear,

You are correct that the lines aren't perfect circles. Remember that this is my experimental dash; I'm not finished with it just yet. I tried cutting tape in a circle, but that proved to be just as hard as painting it perfectly (drawing them is easy; cutting them perfectly is the problem).

Howvere, your reply has given me another thought. I will call one of the companys that makes signs today to ask them to cut me the correct sized circles in adhesive vynil. They can program any cut shape with their software which should allow me to get the correct sized rings to better mask the gauges. I may even have them cut thin rings in silver to see how that looks to make the rings just a bit larger (like the 2004 Sti Guage faces)

I'll post my next test as soon as I'm finished.

Sti Guage Faces

Last edited by gsodonis; 12-17-2004 at 04:40 AM.
Old 12-17-2004, 05:04 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Silver Trim Rings

Quote:

SilverSpear,

You are correct that the lines aren't perfect circles. Remember that this is my experimental dash; I'm not finished with it just yet. I tried cutting tape in a circle, but that proved to be just as hard as painting it perfectly (drawing them is easy; cutting them perfectly is the problem).

Howvere, your reply has given me another thought. I will call one of the companys that makes signs today to ask them to cut me the correct sized circles in adhesive vynil. They can program any cut shape with their software which should allow me to get the correct sized rings to better mask the gauges. I may even have them cut thin rings in silver to see how that looks to make the rings just a bit larger (like the 2004 Sti Guage faces)

I'll post my next test as soon as I'm finished.

Sti Guage Faces
man you don't need that!! just bring a lousy compass, draw the circles on a piece of something like glue paper (same as the sticking part of the post-its) and do the thing with the marker... the cheapest and reliable way... (no $$$ paid !!!)

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:26 AM
From POST-***** to LURKER

Re: SVX Guages - new look

Quote:
Here are a couple of pics of a work in process:

I'm playing around with a spare set of Gauges until I get the look I want. Then I'll duplicate the good parts on my stock set.

Ultimately, I'm going to install white reverse glow overlays, but will keep the silver rings. I'm also making white overlays for the two oft ignored ones: the upper left and right lights that depict the side view (FWD, ASR, & AT OIL TEMP lights) and top view (door ajar and seat belt indicators) of the SVX. Since I have a 5-speed, I'm also tired of looking at the transmission position indicator lights, so those will be conered up as well. I'll take picture along the way and probably make this a HOW-TO.
I really REALLY like the silver trim around the gauges... Great job!!

** SOLD **1998 Subaru Legacy 2.5GT Wagon - MOST RELIABLE car I've ever owned
** SOLD **2006Subaru WRXSTi (Former "Boxer4Racing.com / Continential Tire" STi) - Built EJ22t block / EJ207 JDM STi "big port heads" - 9,000rpm MONEY PIT!!!
** SOLD ** 1995 "Tree-Hugger Green" SVX L AWD(5 MT) --- "Gumby" 130K miles #399 in MY95, my original love...
Old 12-17-2004, 08:05 AM
OMGWTFBBQ!!1!11!LMAOROFLC OPTER

Yeah those rings look sweet!

2006 Subaru Impreza 2.5i....5spd - My daily driver

2006 Subaru Legacy 2.5i -7k miles..Mom's daily driver

2,543 Member of the SVX World Network
Old 12-17-2004, 08:21 AM
Poor College Racer

Send a message via AIM to drivemusicnow
Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Trim Rings

Quote:
Originally posted by SilverSpear

man you don't need that!! just bring a lousy compass, draw the circles on a piece of something like glue paper (same as the sticking part of the post-its) and do the thing with the marker... the cheapest and reliable way... (no $$$ paid !!!)
like he said.. the compass/drawing is easy. its cutting that shape out that would be almost impossible to do without screwing something up... at least for me it would be

97 Red SVX LSi clean
96 Black SVX LSi beater
90 Red Eclipse GSX track ho
99 Ford F250 work horse
My Locker
Old 12-17-2004, 08:30 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Silver Trim Rings

Quote:
Originally posted by drivemusicnow

like he said.. the compass/drawing is easy. its cutting that shape out that would be almost impossible to do without screwing something up... at least for me it would be
come on!!! you are not doing the job with an electrical saw !!! it wouldn't be that hard !
Default risk= max 3%

Old 12-17-2004, 08:45 AM

No bickering, please.

Cutting it out straight is the hard part (if you try it by hand).
I'm going to attach an exacto knife blade to the tip of a compass and cut the masking ring out as I rotate the compass. Instead od drawing a nearly perfect circle only to mess it up cutting it by hand, I'll cut a near perfect circle with a compass. Problem solved.

All of this written (verbal) exchange helped develop the process, so thanks to all for the feedback and the ideas.
Old 12-17-2004, 10:15 AM
Word to Yo Motha

Send a message via AIM to SVXer95
You know, I was thinking. (gotta stop doing that) The SVX speedo and tach can't be much different from other cars. There has got to be some standard, right? I bet there is one or two companies out there that makes most of the actual gauge faces....

Anyway, my point being, for the two main gauges, premanufactured chrome trim should work. I was looking, the sizes seem pretty similar to other jap cars. I may get some and see if they will work. I'll keep you updated.

Also, can you get exact dimensions of the circular gauges? I really like what you have done, but painting looks awfully hard to do. I don't have much of a steady hand.

1995 L AWD
Locker

1987 Porsche 944 turbo
80k miles. MBC + Chips. Relatively Stock
Old 12-17-2004, 02:57 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
Another option would be to go to a sign store and have them cut you a circle the correct size to use as a stencil.