SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-28-2001, 10:49 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
Met a "bought it new in 92" SVX Owner

Hello all,

I was out shopping last week for a last minute gift and as I was getting out of my car, an older gentleman said "what year is your SVX?" I told him and we started talking. His name is Donald, he lives in Milwaukee and he bought his car in January of 1992 from the same dealership I bought mine from. He purchased it when he retired and has only clocked 24,000 miles on it!

I looked over his all black beauty and it looked showroom new. I told him about the world network and about the 10th anniversary meet and he's going to pop his head in here if he can get his wife to show him how to turn on the computer.

It was an enjoyable break from a frantic day.

Hope everyone's holiday was spectacular.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 12-28-2001, 11:34 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Doug,

I bought my "97 new. Maybe Don & I should start a new forum for buyers of new SVX's or maybe we should take a pool to see who bought their cars 'new'.

Larry III
Old 12-28-2001, 12:38 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryIII
Doug,

I bought my "97 new. Maybe Don & I should start a new forum for buyers of new SVX's or maybe we should take a pool to see who bought their cars 'new'.

Larry III

First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 12-28-2001, 01:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Sheeeesh, I get no respect.

Larry

Last edited by LarryIII; 12-28-2001 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-28-2001, 01:10 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
I bought mine new in '92...

...but I sold it in '96. Kinda got worried about what would happen out of warranty. $$ Now look at me, wanting to buy a used one. Oh well, like I said, it was the best car I ever owned (and that's been a few...)

Beav
Old 12-28-2001, 09:02 PM
george miller

new in 92

I bought my new SVX in December of 92. 139,000 miles and a rebuilt transmission later it is no longer safe to drive without a lot of work. Just bought a green 97 SVX with only 26 k, what a sweet ride it is!
Old 12-28-2001, 09:13 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Question

Quote:
I bought my new SVX in December of 92. 139,000 miles and a rebuilt transmission later it is no longer safe to drive without a lot of work.
Would you care to elaborate on that? It may be that what's expensive for one isn't so bad for another...

Beav
Old 12-28-2001, 10:54 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Question New - uhm - sorta . . .

We got our '95 *new* (not priviously titled) in '97, with around 3k miles on it. We later found it had been dented and repaired (a good job - but . . . would've been nice to know). We did, however, save over 8 grand off list, and got a car that I thought I'd never be able to afford (and never want to lose - though it's showing it's age).

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 12-29-2001, 09:32 PM
Original Owner 1992-2008

Send a message via AIM to MoreIBNR
Bought my '92 new in March '92. Now has 138,000 miles.

Have had my share of problems - many fixed and re-fixed by Subaru under adjustments except for the more recent ones. It seems after a certain time or mileage, they won't make adjustments even for known problems like wheel bearings or transmissions.
Old 12-30-2001, 02:09 AM
One teal and One yellow

definitely not me...

when i came to this country, SVX was already stopped its production for a few years. i didn't know what the s+v+x was until i met this car. i'm still happy to be an svxer today. but you never know, one day, there'd be a new car that beats out SVX's luxury/performance and its kinds of styles. i'd be the new owner.

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 12-30-2001, 07:59 PM
george miller

Would you care to elaborate on that? It may be that what's expensive for one isn't so

Hi Beav; shocks need replacing, left rear quarter-panel is trashed (broad-sided a cop in the snow with my michelin 7000 ss tires, never had a problem in blizzards with bridgestone tires), front axle needs to be replaced as well as the bearings.
Old 12-31-2001, 01:12 AM
SVXPlanes

Cool

Bought my '92 with 7 miles on it in '93. Have 34,000 now (she's pampered...) Wasn't quite as reliable as the Prelude she replaced, but it's such an incredible car I can't ever see parting with her.

I was out shopping last week for a last minute gift and as I was getting out of my car, an older gentleman said "what year is your SVX?" I told him and we started talking. His name is Donald, he lives in Milwaukee and he bought his car in January of 1992 from the same dealership I bought mine from. He purchased it when he retired and has only clocked 24,000 miles on it!

Interesting to note how the SVX seems to be an 'old man's car' I remember seeing in the "Motor Trend" Owners Survey in '93 that something like 70% of the owners were over 50. I was down in the 10% somewhere...
Old 12-31-2001, 10:06 AM
zollinw

It sounds like I'm in the same boat as George. I purchased my 92 in 10/92 and it now has 98K miles and is in need of major maintainence. I love the car and have no plans to sell it, but by my guesstimate the car now needs 4 new tires, brake pads and rotors all around, new struts all around, there is some clunking going on in the driveline that could be tranny or cv joints or somthing else (the right front hub may be slightly out of round as the wheel is hard to remove probably secondary to previous cv joint work there), and the AWD doesn't work, only front wheel drive. Is it logical to fix all this? I plan to get a complete rundown on what is needed when I find a shop to work on it. Somewhat difficult because of where I live. When the repairs cost more then the car is worth on the market what should a person do? Bill
Old 12-31-2001, 11:18 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Put the $$ into it

I just put $6,000 into my 1992 SVX. Junk yard engine, struts, Power steering, alternator, etc. I paid $14,000 for it in 1995 with 55,000 on the ticker. I've put my share of wheel bearings transmissions, etc into it. My baby runs like new after the work just completed. It now has 197,000 on the ticker and I don't think there is a safer car (other than maybe a Checker Marathon) on the road.
The key is finding someone who knows Subaru's to do the work, that is, if you can't do it yourself.
Clydesvx
Old 12-31-2001, 08:52 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up Re: Put the $$ into it

Quote:
Originally posted by Clydesvx
I just put $6,000 into my 1992 SVX. Junk yard engine, struts, Power steering, alternator, etc. I paid $14,000 for it in 1995 with 55,000 on the ticker. I've put my share of wheel bearings transmissions, etc into it. My baby runs like new after the work just completed. It now has 197,000 on the ticker and I don't think there is a safer car (other than maybe a Checker Marathon) on the road.
The key is finding someone who knows Subaru's to do the work, that is, if you can't do it yourself.
Clydesvx
I agree with Clyde. For 6K he got a new luxury coupe with genuine funny windows. The alternative might be a Lexus coupe for 40K, but the windows are normal (boring). This should be a no brainer.
Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.