Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-20-2001, 04:24 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Lightbulb I need 50 Yahoo Members!!! PROJECT 23A

Ok...here goes the hard sell.

Facts:
1) We are die-hard SVX fanatics
2) The more extreme of US would buy ANYTHING connected with the SVX
3) We all like reading/collecting data on your (I can't say 'our' since I don't have one..agggggghhhhhh ) )SVX
4) Geocities has a web space and access/download limit
5) My site is veeeerrrrrrrry heavy on scanned articles ie: 4) causes problems
6) I have the S23A manual.

Idea
To those that visit my site (unashamed plug!) you will have no doubt encountered that diabolical "this site has exceeded its download limit" page......and since I have a ton of articles and catalogues that I want to upload over Xmas, space is at a premium.

But, I really want to upload the S23A manual so that we can all read it...the problem is that it is 200+ pages. At 100kb a page, the maths speaks for itself. I could not hope to host that and even if I did, the first 6 or so people to look at it all would use up the download limit and the site would be shut down by Geocities until the following month.

So.....
Since this is a network what I propose is this:
50 people use their Yahoo/geocities accounts to set up a webpage (its easy...I am preparing a word document to explain how to do it, linking, style etc). I will then send each person 4 pages which they upload....and link to the next person in the list and so on.

I will have an index at my site so that people essentially can use that as a springboard to the other pages (at other sites) and as a result, no one exceeds their limit; everyone can see the S23A manual; I can still have room to upload yummy S4 catalogues and 1989 Tokyo Motorshow images.

If people can or are willing to help, can they post their name here (as to create a list) and send me an email?? When I have enough people, I will begin allocating pages to each person and send a table to everyone showing what pages they will be receiving, what to call them, who they have to link to and who is linking to them....easy peasy!!!

It is well worth it.....and makes it a lot easier for everyone to see. As the introduction on my web site says, I have paid for a lot of stuff on ebay (eg the S23A manual set me back well over $200AU) but I don't care about letting people have it since I can't see the point of hiding it away....thats why I am in the process of uploading everything I can.

If you are still vascillating, think of it this way....remember when the R&T first emerged and we all wanted one??? What if someone then had sent you a link to one that had been scanned in???? You would have liked that eh!!!

Thanks and sorry about the length of the post.

Regards and Merry Xmas

James

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 12-20-2001, 04:52 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I'll help you out.

Are you planning to have a front-end page that will have links to / show thumbnails for every page?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 12-20-2001, 06:22 PM

Thanks Mr Pockets!

Then plan is to on my site index page, have S23A Manual. Clicking on that brings you to the S23A page where there will be a picture of the outside of the catalogue and then hyperlinks kind of like below (doing from memory since at work)

INTRODUCTION
Pages 1-20

CONCEPT
Pages 21-40

STYLING
Pages 41-50

etc

It would mirror the index that is in the front of the S23A manual.

Jamsvx

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 12-20-2001, 08:20 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
I have an idea

How about we just wait a bit longer until I get the new RAID array prepped and you can just host it here? It would be nice if we can get some small donations to allow up to upgrade the circuit to a slightly faster feed as well, but this also may be accomplished when the tar gets pulled out of the organization process. Just an idea. I know, the other method is free, but I HATE pop-up ads and crap that those free services tend to require. I have new drives (donated by qwk.net) and new drive boxes with power supplys and cables (donated by mohrds). All I need to aquire/buy now is two cables with the VHDCI (very high density centronics interface) plug on one end and a 68 pin wide SCSI plug on the other. If all goes well, I might have enough tips money to get this by January.

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 12-20-2001, 08:30 PM
joeaux

20Meg is nothing. Here's an idea. IRC. We/I create an IRC channel on DALNet (say called, oh #SVX). I set up my FServe (already serve serveral gigabytes a day on a different channel) to serve the thing. Problem solved. I keep mIRC with the Ed_K script going almost continuously now. It would be easy to serve this data for awhile (until Chris has the RAID up anyway). You would have to know how to use mIRC to do this, but it's the easy way to go. Here's another idea. I could setup an ftp server on one of my IRIX machines that would run on a port other than 21 and serve the thing round the clock for a week. That way everyone could get it. My upload limit (which is your download limit) would be about 50K or so, but even at that rate you could get it pretty quickly (with broadband anyway). Or we could just wait for the RAID.
-joe-
Old 12-20-2001, 10:58 PM
SVX Black Belt Master

Quote:
Originally posted by joeaux
20Meg is nothing. Here's an idea. IRC. We/I create an IRC channel on DALNet (say called, oh #SVX). I set up my FServe (already serve serveral gigabytes a day on a different channel) to serve the thing. Problem solved. I keep mIRC with the Ed_K script going almost continuously now. It would be easy to serve this data for awhile (until Chris has the RAID up anyway). You would have to know how to use mIRC to do this, but it's the easy way to go. Here's another idea. I could setup an ftp server on one of my IRIX machines that would run on a port other than 21 and serve the thing round the clock for a week. That way everyone could get it. My upload limit (which is your download limit) would be about 50K or so, but even at that rate you could get it pretty quickly (with broadband anyway). Or we could just wait for the RAID.
-joe-
Wuddidhesay?

Steve
'02 Black Sapphire Volvo V40, 133K - "Shadowfax"
'06 Triumph Tiger, 19K
'99 Suzuki DR350SE, 8.5K - "Geezer Killer"
<*}}}}>< ~ ~ ~
~ ~ ~ ~ ><{{{{*>
Old 12-21-2001, 08:01 AM
Lowered SVX

Angry damn it chris.....

what do you mean use your tip money?

if you need money to buy something for this site then you ask us. we will get you the money. i have $50 right now that i am willing to donate to buy the cables. we are a close group and if we can not get some money together to buy necessary equipment then we dont need to be here. (sorry for the double negative- go easy on me steve).

In closing, How much money do you need?
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 12-21-2001, 10:14 PM

Em......that technical talk flew over my head at about 35,000ft....if it means that everyone can see the S23A, access without a problem...then so be it!!!

Computer lingo is WAYYYYYYY beyond me but I rely on your expertise!!!

Thanks

James

Old 12-22-2001, 02:37 PM
joeaux

Ok, sorry. I get excited about the strangest things. Basically I can put the whole file up (in a zip, sit or whatever kinda archive) and make it available to anyone with an ftp client. I'll email the user/password to whoever wants to get the file. It'll be on one of my SGI machines here at the house. I can handle probably two people downloading it at a time (my upload speed it capped at about 56K, that would be your download speed). I do this all the time. It's easy. Do you know what ftp is? If so it's easy. If not, well, we can go from there. Or we can wait for the RAID.
-joe-
Old 12-23-2001, 03:39 AM

*the dawn breaks on James*

Ah..I see.

What I actually wanted to do was not have it as downloadable file but rather as a browsable web image (or series of pages - like the brochures that are already on my site).

The reason for that would be that it would be accessible by anyone, anywhere......and hopefully gather more interest from Japan so that some sort of East-West dialogue emerges.

If the RAID system would allow that, then perhaps best to wait but great to know that there is a FTP backup option if needed.

Thanks heaps

James

Old 12-23-2001, 02:13 PM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
We can make it a web home here after the needed work is done. My only concern is putting Subaru (C) information online so easlily seen. It could lead to a nasty letter from a legal department. Any ideas?

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 12-24-2001, 05:12 AM
joeaux

Oh, I see. Well I can't keep the SGI machines on the internet all the time. They are on all the time but I just don't have the bandwidth (cablemodem) to keep them on the internet all the time. However, if you want to make them available for download I can still put the file up every weekend on Sundays or something like that. Just let me know if you decide to do it.
-joe-
Old 12-24-2001, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chris
We can make it a web home here after the needed work is done. My only concern is putting Subaru (C) information online so easlily seen. It could lead to a nasty letter from a legal department. Any ideas?

Good point! It has been something that has been always in my mind when I am *cough* uploading *copyright infringement* articles and the like to my site. Within about 6 months I will able to give an informed answer (starting a Masters in Communication, Media and IT law in January) but until then, I suppose my attitude would be:
1) They don't sell the car anymore
2) I am here...they are there - *sticks out tounge*
3) It is a historical document in the public interest.....and it is a benefit to all of us who follow their product.

In all seriousness, I will have a think about it and see what I can come to.....the alternative is for people who may want a copy just to send me enough money to cover the photocopying (I will have to do it myself at Kinko's or something since a) I would not let anyone else touch it and b) they would not copy it (exceeds the 10% 'research' provision allowed under our copyright laws) and shipping and I will send it to them.

Merry Xmas

Jamsvx