SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-02-2004, 09:47 PM
Now with Colder Air!

Send a message via AIM to Amazonparrot Send a message via MSN to Amazonparrot
Angry Difficult to explain

Something unnerving happened today while i was driving home from my g/f's house. there has been a consistant whining for the last 3 days, kinda sounded like a supercharger, but then all of a sudden tonight, there was a loud "ca-chunk" and the car jolted but kept going. Then, as soon as, and every time as I let off the gas, there is an AWFUL grinding from under the car, as well as while turning at low speeds SOMETIMES. I thought it was the tranny, but i did a straight line acceleration test, and all 4 gears worked great? Sure enough though, every time I took my foot off the gas and coasted, an awful grinding sound, even when in "N".
what could be the cause of my woes?

-Andrew
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).
Charlottesville, VA Represent! (voted #1 place in America to live!)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?Amazonparrot
Old 03-02-2004, 10:12 PM
Maniac modifier

Registered SVX Classic SVX
all but too common problem lately. i get the feeling i started a trend by burning up my front diff. bring it to a tranny shop and they will more than likely tell you, you burned up your bearings and gears by now. You probobly broke some teeth off your ring and pinion, and the meshing of the gears is causing the clunking. that whine you heard is the diff burning up and now that it has finally kicked the bucket u need to get it fixed asap. get back to me with a needed parts list i might have some for u
Old 03-02-2004, 11:32 PM
Maniac modifier

similar problem check this one out
http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=16906
Old 03-02-2004, 11:52 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Your diff is gone.

Simple. Your gears are now screwed up and if you keep doing it, it will chew up the old parts and you can even crack the housing (something you dont want to do)
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 03-03-2004, 12:35 PM
No front plate on My SVX

Send a message via MSN to CDG
If you're lucky, it could be an axle shaft. Cross your fingers.

Current Ride, 1985 Honda Aero 80, stock 3024 klms
Old 03-03-2004, 01:38 PM

Send a message via AIM to want-a-fast-svx
I just pulled the tranny out yesterday to do a 5spd swap b/c i blew the front diff so bad that the whole driver side by where the axle goes in completely blew open and apart. i"ve got some pic\s i'lll upload here in a few days.
Old 03-03-2004, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by want-a-fast-svx
I just pulled the tranny out yesterday to do a 5spd swap b/c i blew the front diff so bad that the whole driver side by where the axle goes in completely blew open and apart. i"ve got some pic\s i'lll upload here in a few days.

Mine was like that too but that's because the morons at the shop decided to "test the car" Was I pissed.
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Old 03-04-2004, 05:22 PM
Maniac modifier

if you do end up needing a new case, i have one w/ speedo gear in it already all you would need is the top half of the sensor. I also have a carrier, no ring or bearings. to completely fix it you would need a ring gear pinion and new bearings and the carrier depending of how bad it is. If you need the case or carrier pm me.
Old 03-05-2004, 08:09 AM
Paxton71

ka-chunk under exceleration?

Was the ka-chunk under throttle, maybe going around a corner? If so, I'm going to guess you broke the clutch hub off the gear as several of us have done lately.

See if you still have AWD.

Really easy if you can get all 4 safely off the ground. Just start it up and put it in drive.

wheels spin front and back? OK. Wheels spin back but not front? better check that front diff. No backs? I bet it is the thing in the posts below.

I DOUBT it is a CV joint on an axle shaft. They just don't "whine" The supercharger sound leans me to the front diff. Hopefully it isn't that.

Keep us posted!

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=16684

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...threadid=16163
Old 03-08-2004, 08:39 AM
Now with Colder Air!

Thank you for all your input, I think this is the most help ive gotten from this board. If it is the front diff., what kind of repair bill should I be looking at? The car is laid up in the shop right now, and I need to be well informed so that I dont get ripped off (student with no money). Thanks agaiN!

-Andrew
1992 Subaru SVX LS-L Ebony Mica: Custom Cold Air Intake, Smallcar Shift Kit, ECUtune Stage 1v4, Flowmaster Exhaust, UR underdrive pulley, 4.11 gears, iRotors Drilled and Slotted rotors, Axxis Brake Pads, 18" Enkei Wheels w/Pirelli Pzero Nero M+S, 20% Window Tinting, K&N Panel Filter, Rockford Fosgate Sound System w/XM Radio, Removed Intake Resonator *SOLD*

2003 Subaru WRX: 2003 Impreza WRX (Aspen White); Vishnu Stage II; IHI VF-34 Turbo; Walbro fuel pump, STi Injectors, Vishnu Up-pipe, Down-pipe and Signature 3" Cat-back; Samco Intercooler hoses; JIC Coilovers; STi A-arms; Whiteline swarbar bushings; Stoptech 13" rotors w/4-piston calipers; Braided Steel brake lines; 17" Rota Wheels with 225/45/17 Falken Azenis (R-Comp).

Old 03-08-2004, 09:01 AM

You are looking at around 8-1500 for the rebuilt.
Old 03-10-2004, 04:22 PM
Now with Colder Air!

GRRRR!

So I just got the estimate back from my mechanic, who said that yes, it was the front diff, and my transmission was fine, but I would have to replace both TC, FD, and Tranny as a whole unit for 2900$ in parts alone. BS! He says no one has the tools to take care of the pieces separately, it all has to be fixed at once. Please someone give me some options before i have to send my car off to the junkyard.

Old 03-10-2004, 04:40 PM

Re: GRRRR!

Quote:
Originally posted by Amazonparrot
So I just got the estimate back from my mechanic, who said that yes, it was the front diff, and my transmission was fine, but I would have to replace both TC, FD, and Tranny as a whole unit for 2900$ in parts alone. BS! He says no one has the tools to take care of the pieces separately, it all has to be fixed at once. Please someone give me some options before i have to send my car off to the junkyard.

It is true. You can not make a piece of diff here and there and combine them. They are made and match and paired for life. The gears have to be done/paired together and it's not a short process.

Check subaruparts and see if you can get a diff. Otherwise, there is supposed to be car in UT junkyard. See if you can get a diff from there if it is still good.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:00 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: GRRRR!

Quote:
Originally posted by Amazonparrot
The front diff can be replaced on its own. The TC and Tranny does not have to be done at the same time. Look at the Mods section, where they are replacing the front diff with a lower ratio diff, without replacing ever thing else.

That said, you also have a problem with the AWD section at the back of the transmission. This is why the diff has broken in the first place. Both can be fixed, only takes money.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 03-10-2004, 05:37 PM

What Harvey said.

You can replace the front diff alone. I did just that (well, swapped out). If your tranny is running, make sure THEY don't touch it. I have to threaten them (with a lawyer -- nice to have friends). They'll drain your tranny though but they will not have to touch the tranny at all.

Make sure they replace the main front seal.