How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 08-03-2003, 02:36 AM
Ever Vigilant He Never Sleeps.

re: svx

so what happens when you rent a buick, travel 2800 miles, through 6 states in 2 days (includes leaving home and coming back home for the start and end of the trip) by a dishonest ebay seller?

a nice 34k miles 1992 claret svx that's near perfect.

thanks to mike at kerven subaru for his help in getting this all setup. i almost lost this svx to a nice lady who arrived 15 minutes after i did ready to buy .

feels good to be back in such a great car.

also for the ebay buyers, there is an 1996 black svx with 151k miles in richmond, virginia that's for sale. under the description and pictures on ebay, it states that the car is near perfect blah, blah, blah. i won the auction (this was what inspired the 'road'trip) and went to conclude the deal. fortunately the car was in bad shape which made me walk away from the deal (glad i didn't have to put money down on the car or i would have gone to jail for beating someone). that svx was fairly trashed inside, had some damage to the front of the vehicle (i.e. grill was broken, bumper, and some of the plastic housing near the engine was cracked.), a warped looking tranny cooler, obvious oil leaks, stench of gasoline when opening the hood, and fully rusted rotors from probably just sitting there, mismatched tires, non consistant gaps from where the trunk meets the body, drilled holes on roof to put a 'wind' guard for the sunroof, and a quarter sized hole in the nasty leather on the driver side seat.

a lot of inconsistencies with what the seller told me on the phone and in person. what gets me is that if someone was driving up 8.5 hours to pickup the car, i would be punctual and meet at the time agreed, not 1 hour late and probably would not have kept the appointment if i didn't call a few times after i arrived in their subdivision in richmond at 8:45am (meeting time was 9:00am). i also would not have advertised that this 'immaculate' car if it wasn't in hopes to swindle someone into buying it and waste their time 8.5 hours per trip and spending $150 a day on a rental car from hertz for out of state drop off access knowing all the problems with the car. guy's father eventually came out and was like 'i can't believe it's still here.' and when confronted with all the problems that they conviently 'didn't know' existed and that the car wasn't worth the money, he stated 'kelly blue book says the car's worth $7k. if i'm not mistaken kelly doesn't value any car that's in extremely poor shape. apparently the 'gas' smell from the engine was from the engine degreaser that they used to try to remove the oil leak residue. the grill was screwed back into place with dry wall screws destroying the holes that were supposed to hold it in. i touched the grill and it fell off. i mean they tried to make it look like nothing was wrong with it, but you would have to be blind to not see any of the problems.

i have the vin in my car, and if someone needs to check, i'll get it and post it so they won't get stuck with a bad (in my opinion) car. i mean one man's garbage, is another man's gold. so others may think it's a good car.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:27 AM

Well, maybe the karma factor was such that you had to make the bad trip in order to get the good - J/K.

Glad it turned out in the end. 34K miles huh? unbelievably nice.
Old 08-03-2003, 05:55 AM
Green1995SVX

I'm glad to see you made it home Harry. I hope you're enjoying your new SVX.

Mike
Old 08-03-2003, 09:29 AM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Great news Harry - If I had known you were doing it I'd have gone with you and helped drive - that's a long trip. Hope to see the new car soon.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:16 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

New SVX

Hi Harry, I was starting to get worried that you would not find another nice SVX. Glad to see you came up with one. Now as the saying goes . Just keep the shiny side up and the greasy side down. I think you have already done it the other way. Take care, BOBB
Old 08-03-2003, 01:59 PM

re: thanks guys

hey thanks guys, i'm really happy with this new svx. heading up to the shop tomorrow to get the exhaust and all the other goodies put in. all in all it also was a great road trip. went through some nice scenic roads to get to PA and saw a few wrx's and RS's tear up and down through some nice curvy mountain ways. hardest part was driving back to atlanta from pittsburgh.

the funniest thing was that pittsburgh did not have an wachovia so i had to stop at the community bank to pull out about $4k cash in $600 increments, the line was piling up as they probably though i was robbing the atm. with a thich stack of 20's that was probably the size of a shoe, i'm surprised i didn't get robbed. in atlanta i probably would have :P.

i'll post pics after i'm done washing & waxing. a really beautiful car.

thanks again mike
Old 08-03-2003, 03:19 PM
FifthElement

Who are these fools that attempted to swindle you? Post their information.
Old 08-04-2003, 12:14 PM

re: here's the vin

here's the info:

JF1CX8651TH100758
1996 LS-l
151k miles
black
richmond, viginia area

just for the members of the board, if you see this car for sale, i'd advise REALLY checking it out before you buy. it hasn't shown up on ebay yet, but i don't know if they are going to trade it in, sell it autotrader, or auction, but there's the vin for you to check on. carfax says it's never been in an accident and that it's clean, but carfax doesn't detail much short of burning the car with napalm. another car i had the frame straightened out but it doesn't show on carfax. i found a ticket/reciept that showed $4k worth of damage from the dealer, was never documented on carfax.

i'm not trying to be an ass by telling people about the car, i mean i understand these people want to sell it, but at least they could give the facts out versus flat out BS about the car.

'the car is in perfect condition' the sellers say.....maybe for a blind person, but blind people can't drive a car can they?
Old 08-05-2003, 10:36 AM
snakeeyes232

Again?

Could this be the same one.....?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2426751799
Old 08-05-2003, 12:41 PM

re: that would be the one.

that would be the one. it appears he finally put it back up. absolutely no change to his description. what a freaking scumbag. the car is actually driven by the kid who is about 20 years old so that family crap does not apply. the grill is broken, the alternator is pushed up against the engine block, you can see part of the front bracket that is near the radiator is pushed in but that picture is not of the car being sold. actually i examined the pictures in more detail and i think that the car is not the same one as he was selling. look at the background for the exterior pictures they are different. i was in his subdivision, it does not look like that. i wouldn't be surprised if he got those pics from other sites or boards or svx's for sale.

there is a windguard in front of the sunroof. holes were drilled to attach the guard, which is not shown in the pictures. also the interior is pretty trashy, instead of the seats being beige, it has a nasty black tint to the seats. the small hole is a quarter size hole that you can put your thumb though. the steering wheel looks like it's been bleached because the color is sickly pale. the suede looks pretty bad as well worn down and looks like someone rubbed motor oil on it. deep stains in the carpet and floor mats. a deep stench of gasoline can be noticed when popping the hood, and i believe it leaks oil through the two gaskets on both sides of the engine. the plastic housing near the alternator is also broken. car's been sitting there for a while because there was a lot of rust built up upon the rotors. also he started it up to warm it up before i got there, makes you wonder....

good luck guys, but that would be the one.