How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-31-2003, 06:12 AM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
Ny svxer in Maryland for the summer

Hey guys, iam officially down here in maryland for the summer. I was supposed to have my svx's transmission done by yesterday but it just didn't work out. will be done by next week, so then i'll be bringing the svx down.
It seems pretty nice down here. Alot of car enthusiasts it seems. I know we have a good amount of maryland area owners and just wanted to let you guys know i would be around if ever wanted to get together. Oh and iam living in catonsville.

Chris
Old 05-31-2003, 09:18 AM
I look like Gordon

Welcome, Chris! I don't know what kind of recreational activities you are in to, but if you need some recommendations on outdoor activities in the area, let me know. There are surprisingly good opportunities for kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing, and cycling around here.

You should try to make it down to the Mercedes Benz club autocross next Sunday (the 8th). There will be quite a few local SVX owners there, and it is a good time. It is right in Silver Spring, which is not a bad drive from Catonsville. Check out the Snowshoe thread in the Upcoming Meets section for details.

We also have a bit of a "car repair day" tradition in my driveway. It looks like we'll be having another in a few weeks, so I'll keep you posted.

-Mike
Old 05-31-2003, 10:00 AM
calmone

rufus is into those mainc-manly testoserone things. rock climbing!!!! my feeling is the rocks should be in the scotch. now, to keep your head in gear while here there are a number of good museums in balto., and you're only a short drive to dc with the smithsonian, national gallery, etc. get the svx down already so we can have a mini rally.
Old 05-31-2003, 11:54 AM

Hey guys cool to hear from you. Yeah rock climbing sounds awesome. Car repair day thing would sound really cool. Keep me posted. I'll pm you guys with my cell to get in touch.
chris
Old 05-31-2003, 07:37 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Thumbs up

Catonsville is home to UMBC. Are you taking some classes there?
John, SVXcess, works at the university. Ellicott City is 10 minutes down Frederick Road from C'ville & is a historic town full of antique shops, antique people (like me & calmone) & a cool chick or two (you'll like). We hope to see you this summer.

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 05-31-2003, 08:26 PM

Iam actually down here taking an internship for the summer. I start monday so it should be fun. Iam looking forward to it. but i definately want to get together with all of you, it would be really nice to have svx fanics so close haha.
Chris
Old 06-01-2003, 07:59 AM
calmone

the only bad thing is you'll have to put up with ron asking if the paint job on his svx REALLY looks good or are you just saying that. when he done gone and got this $5,000 paint job for the cost of a can of semi-gloss by conning some high school kids into believing that some grade in shop depended on how well they were able to paint a car. really though, his car looks as if it just came off the showroom floor. the rest of use have to drive a block behind him to hide our embarissment in how our's look.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:06 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
And then there are those of use who are still aspiring to have their cars look as nice as Ron's (at least now, due to help from Mike (Rufus), I'm willing to open the hood of my car in public!). Don't forget southern Maryland while you're in the state. Solomons Island at the tip of Calvert County has a lot to offer if you're into boating/drinking/fishing...it's about an hour or so south of Ellicott City.
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-01-2003, 09:52 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by SVXRide
And then there are those of use who are still aspiring to have their cars look as nice as Ron's (at least now, due to help from Mike (Rufus), I'm willing to open the hood of my car in public!). Don't forget southern Maryland while you're in the state. Solomons Island at the tip of Calvert County has a lot to offer if you're into boating/drinking/fishing...it's about an hour or so south of Ellicott City.
-Bill

Hey, Bill. What's the magic weekend for the annual Solomons Island Tiki Bar drunkfest 'n git nekkid celebration? Now THAT would be a meet
to beat!

Ron (not that I would condone such depravity).

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 06-01-2003, 09:57 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by calmone
the only bad thing is you'll have to put up with ron asking if the paint job on his svx REALLY looks good or are you just saying that. when he done gone and got this $5,000 paint job for the cost of a can of semi-gloss by conning some high school kids into believing that some grade in shop depended on how well they were able to paint a car. really though, his car looks as if it just came off the showroom floor. the rest of use have to drive a block behind him to hide our embarissment in how our's look.

Showroom no more, Bill. I found a sand grain sized chip on the spoiler.

Ron (in deep depression).

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
Old 06-02-2003, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Where in Catonsville are you going to live? I work at the Community College of Baltimore County and was born and raised here. Send me a PM or email and lets get together.

Between the autocrosses (ya gotta see newsvx tear up the course in his 97...), the "New Windsor Mini Meets" at Rufus' place and whatever crazy schemes the rest of us may concoct, be assured you won't be bored. There are a few good Subaru dealers with SVX Master Techs in very close proximity. One in Catonsville and one in Owings Mills.

Trying to coordinate an SVX Crab Meet/Feast for later in the summer

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 06-02-2003, 09:21 AM
Way over-the-hill Member

Welcome to Maryland.
FYI there is a 'touch free' car wash in beautiful downtown Elkridge. Take 195 towards BWI. Get off at the RT1 (Elkridge) exit, turn right (you will pass 'DANIEL'S') the Motorcycle Bar and go about one mile. It will be on your left.

Hey Ron, Now you know what the 'SPOILER' is for....To catch the rocks that our aerodynamic cars keep from hitting the windshield.

Clydesvx
Old 06-02-2003, 10:59 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Ron,
the magic weekend has come and gone -- was one of our wonderful rainy weekends, so the crowd was much smaller this year - a buddy of mine "ate" a couple of hundred dollars worth of "mardi gras" necklaces he was going to sell at the opening...
Great idea though!!!
Was actually able to cut the front 3 acres this weekend and today is one of those days I wish I could have stayed home as the sun is actually out, so... maybe the yard will actually dry out sometime soon
-Bill

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron Mummert

Hey, Bill. What's the magic weekend for the annual Solomons Island Tiki Bar drunkfest 'n git nekkid celebration? Now THAT would be a meet
to beat!

Ron (not that I would condone such depravity).

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 06-04-2003, 02:40 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
Welcome, Chris! I don't know what kind of recreational activities you are in to, but if you need some recommendations on outdoor activities in the area, let me know. There are surprisingly good opportunities for kayaking, backpacking, rock climbing, and cycling around here.

You should try to make it down to the Mercedes Benz club autocross next Sunday (the 8th). There will be quite a few local SVX owners there, and it is a good time. It is right in Silver Spring, which is not a bad drive from Catonsville. Check out the Snowshoe thread in the Upcoming Meets section for details.

We also have a bit of a "car repair day" tradition in my driveway. It looks like we'll be having another in a few weeks, so I'll keep you posted.

-Mike
Hey Mike, where will this autocross be taking place? I may actually be around (for a change), so I'll probably try to show up, especially if it's in Silver Spring.

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L
"9 of 7" - 97 bordeaux pearl, formerly with Earl Steele
Old 06-04-2003, 07:39 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by SvXit

Hey Mike, where will this autocross be taking place? I may actually be around (for a change), so I'll probably try to show up, especially if it's in Silver Spring.

I'm not Mike today, Olu, but you can use my directions anyway.
Turn on Industrial Drive which is off of Rt. 29 about a mile north of New Hampshire Ave. Go to the end of Industrial Drive. There's a gate & a sign that says something like "Mulch Facility" & in tiny letters, obscured by a bush, WSSC. Turn right, drive along the building, then left & follow road to the end where you'll see Mike signing autographs for the envious WRX drivers.
See you there. Ron.

'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K