How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-21-2003, 06:00 PM
wantaSVX

98k and original tranny ?

I finaly got ahold of the '92 LS-L seller. and i asked a bit about the car clean title ect. ect. only thing is that the tranny, rotors and everything elce is all original :P i know that the trans. had some problems with shifting after high miles. i havent be able to set up a test drive or have a mechanic check it out. but befor i do all that do you think i would end up having to replace to trans. after a year or somthing or should i just wait till after i test drive it to make my choice?
Old 05-21-2003, 08:52 PM
Gabriels_shadow

original parts...

First off I must say that dont let anything I say discourage you from looking into purchasing a copy of this fantastic car. I recently purchased a '92 lsl with 99k on the clock. Prior to purchase I was in contact with the previous owner and she was still in contact with the original owner. Both were older professionals that had taken emmaculate care of the vehicle. When I purchased the car it apppeared to be in good condition and drove nicely. Approx..2 months after I bought it the tranny went.
I recommend if possible you have the tranny looked at before purchase. My mechanic charges me about $300 for them to drop the tranny and take a look inside. You might be able to get away with just checking the fluid but either way it will be money well spent if they find something wrong before you buy it. Otherwise you could be loking at about $2500 to $3000 to replace the tranny soon after purchase.
Like I said dont get discouraged by what happened to me. There is no reason not to expect that tranny to last for a while after you by it. And if so you get yourself a one of kind automobile. Personally I dont regret buying mine at all even with the repairs I've done. It is an awesome car to have.
Old 05-21-2003, 09:51 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
I bought my SVX with 95k on the clock. The transmission lasted until 130k and the front rotors are still original.

So, if the car was cared for properly and not beaten on a daily basis, it should be fine. Make sure you don't just take the owner's word for it that the car was maintained - if they didn't have it serviced at a Subaru dealer (where you can have the history printed up), then make sure you see records. 'Oil changed every 3000 miles' isn't good enough.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE