Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-28-2002, 02:19 PM
alacrity024

(I'm in a) Sketchy Situation.. help...

So early last October, about three weeks after I had bought the SVX, I found a buyer for my old beat-up '89 RX Turbo. After awhile, he finally came out to give me the money and take the car. That morning, I had searched the house high and low for the title to the RX, and come up empty handed. I actually didn't remember ever RECIEVING a title in the mail, so I figured that the car must've been old enough to not need to be titled any longer..

So I wrote him a bill of sale and we parted.. I got a little misty seeing my RX drive off..

He calls me up today--a year later--to ask me for the title. Turns out that he's just let the car sit for a year, and he's finally trying to register it now.

If I DID have the title last year, it's long gone by now. I really don't think I was ever mailed the title when I bought the car in '99 though.. I can apply for a duplicate title from the NH RMV, but he's leaving for colorado on Thursday and needs everything asap.

I want to help him out, but at the same time I really don't think it's my responsibility anymore. Anybody have any advice?

Anybody?

-Adam
Old 10-28-2002, 02:39 PM
$VX

Tell him you don't have it or know where it is. >shrug<

- Ca$h
Old 10-28-2002, 02:41 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Legally? In the states I'm familiar with, it's the seller's responsibility to get the title to the buyer. I don't think that responsibility ever lapses. Most states also have laws specifying a time period by which a buyer must title the car in the buyer's name, and it's usually much less time than this guy took (like 30 to 90 days).

Morally? I think you do need to get him a title, because he's got to have one to assume ownership of the car. However, I don't think you necessarily have to do it on his schedule. He took a year to ask for it, and now he wants it overnight?

If I were you, I'd apply for a duplicate NH title and send it to him priority mail when I got it, whenever that was. Realistically, what else can you do?

Just my 2¢.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-28-2002, 02:42 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Legally, I don't know how much responsibility you have to own up to, here. But, as far as I'm concerned, anything you do to help the guy out now is charity. If you have to go to a DMV to apply for a new title, I recommend that you have the guy meet you there. Cripes, he waited an entire year to register the car???

I mean, sure, I never actually registered my GL in MI, and I got it more than a year ago. But the thing was only on the road for a couple weeks at a time in between the radiator and carburetor and head gasket. Besides that, I got it from a cousin and the plates were still good. :P

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-28-2002, 02:44 PM
Yeah, it's a poodle - so what?

Re: (I'm in a) Sketchy Situation.. help...

Quote:
Originally posted by alacrity024
If I DID have the title last year, it's long gone by now. I really don't think I was ever mailed the title when I bought the car in '99 though.. -Adam
And just out of curiosity - how the heck did you register it in your name without having the title? I didn't think there were any states that allowed that any more.
2001 Outback Sport
Old 10-28-2002, 02:51 PM
Brian Steel

In Washington State, you have to go to the State Capital and get what they call a "super title". This is what is generally needed in another state. They produce this document while you wait.
Old 10-28-2002, 02:58 PM

Send a message via Skype™ to CigarJohnny
I'd have to agree with Dick on this one. Legally he can do nothing with the car until you sign the title over to him. I can't believe he actually took the car without going to a Notary and transferring the title first. Usually until that happens, the point of sale has not technically happened. A sales receipt say's he gave you money and you accepted it, but the sale is not legal until you have transferred title to him.

Check with your notary about getting a duplicate title issued to you. You should be able to notarize your part after that at the notary then mail him the title for him to complete from his end. Then all should be good. It might cost you a small bit of coin but I believe it your responsibility to cough up a title for the man.

Ebony Mica '92 LS 80K Oct 2002 - Dec 2004: Victim of theft. She served me well.

You can tell the lack of craftsmanship by the wrinkles in the duct tape.
Old 10-28-2002, 05:16 PM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Just file for a lost title at your DMV and then sign it over to him when it comes.
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"
Old 10-28-2002, 06:27 PM
I_Alcyone_I

I had lost the title to my topaz when i sold it, all i did was go to the DMV and apply for a lost title, I think it was somewhere around 15 dollars. Not a hassle at all.
Old 10-28-2002, 08:33 PM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I agree with getting a duplicate and sending it priority mail when he gets it.

two things to remember when dealing with cars:

1. If he gets into an accident or flees the scene, the police will come to you and you will end up in hot water and possibly even responsible if it actually goes to court. Any parking tickets incurred are your responsibility as long as the state thinks the car is still yours regardless if you have a bill of sale or not.

2. Once you get the replacement title, there is a waiting period before it can be transferred. The buyer will take the title to his new state and they will make him use temp plates or issue new registration with the first 60 days or so as probationary and not send him a title until it clears. They do this so I can't walk in with your VIN, get a address change and a replacement title, then steal your car and sell it for cash. It gives the police theft reports time to sync up with the DMV databases.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker