How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 10-17-2002, 08:11 AM
"high" in Colorado

Thumbs up OT: First to open....

Loveland Ski Area, located high on the continental divide, will be the first to open in the country, this morning at 9:00 am.

It has been dry, and cold at night, allowing for good snowmaking...

81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 10-17-2002, 08:19 AM

I am green with envy. I hope that you plan on taking advantage of the situation. I have never skied there but drove by it a number of times on the way back from A-Basin.

I did once start the ski season mid October on the east coast at Killington. But they only had one trail open at the top and we had to take the lift down from mid station.

Have a great season and "break a leg".

Matt
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 10-17-2002, 11:00 AM
"high" in Colorado

Loveland....

Some "boarder dudes" camped out over night in 18 degree temperature for the right to be the first chair....Naw, Matt. I can wait...after all I'm spoiled...I live here...

If you like A-Basin, you would love Loveland....I learned to ski there years ago.... No lines, no tourists, no attitudes....plenty, and varied terrain, 9 chairs with the highest quad in the world (with a view from the top of the divide).....Then there is the Rathskeller bar....Loveland is a funky, and laid back place, a Colorado "Gem".

I have skied all over the west, but never back east....I would like to ski at Stowe or Killington sometime...

Do you plan to come to Colorado this season? How about a day at Loveland?
81 280ZX
91 Legacy wagon
86 Pontiac Parisenne (55k)
86 Kawasaki ZG 1000 Concours
81 KZ 1000 LTD (shaft)
Old 10-17-2002, 11:36 AM

Tom, still, there is nothing like the first day of the season, getting out the old rock skis and confirming that you have not fogotten how to turn them. Especially if it is the opening day in the USA.

I usually start the season at Hunter Mountain which is 3 hrs from my house. Friday after Thanksgiving is a tradition with my college buddies but the crowd is getting smaller every year. Lately it has just been Scotty and I but the tradition continues.

I do not get out to Colorado much. My employer frequently sends me to Texas on week long business trips and I always try to "save the company $$$ on airfare" by adding a weekend ski trip. Any sacrifice for the company, you know.

The best connecting flights seem to be into Salt Lake City and the airport is so close to the ski areas that I can maximize my time on snow, and besides, the snow in Utah is much, much better than colorado. Seriously, I do meet a lot of people on the chair ride who are from Colorado but skiing in Utah for the snow.

You will be seriously disappointed if you come to ski to the east coast, especially Killington. Nothing out here compares to the west except maybe Jay Peak which is in northern NY, almost on the Canadian border. They do get tons of snow and actually encourage out of bounds skiing. They get influenced by the skiers from Canada who are much less suit happy and responsible for their actions.

Have you ever skied in Lake Tahoe? I spent a whole winter there after college (1979) collecting unemployment from NJ and skiing every day. Except of course when I was looking for work.

I did ski Colorado a few years ago when my Texas trip was in June and A-Basin whas the only option for skiing. Hit a cloudless day. Dressed in shorts and T-shirt of course, hiked up to the Continental Divide, had lunch with some ladies from Australia, shot the chutes, and peeled layers of skin from my face and legs for the next week! It doesn't get much better than that.

Have a great winter, and I will take you up on your offer if I do get out to Colorado soon.

Matt
98 Outback 180k
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.

Last edited by mattski; 10-17-2002 at 11:40 AM.
Old 10-18-2002, 11:59 AM
NickF

Man, I always rent skis until at least the end of December, especially with the poor snow here in Colorado over the past few years. Let the rocks chew up somebody else's hardware!

Nick
Old 10-18-2002, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by NickF
Man, I always rent skis until at least the end of December, especially with the poor snow here in Colorado over the past few years. Let the rocks chew up somebody else's hardware!

Nick
Saving daily ski rental fees by using ones old "rock skis" - $20 beer credit.

Watching sparks coming from under the skier in front of you who just purchased the $800 "latest and greatest" skis - Priceless

MattSKI
98 Outback 180k
Old 10-18-2002, 12:22 PM
Green1995SVX

I put my ski rack on last saturday, somehow I believe i signaled the entire town to put theirs on at the same time. We're startin early this year.

Mike
Old 10-18-2002, 12:22 PM
NickF

Here's the trick. Don't rent them daily. I rent a set for the season, then return them when the rocks get covered up. Or else I'll keep them and use them in april when the rocks reappear.
Old 10-18-2002, 12:30 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Skiing

Can we please stop talking skiing. I'm getting really depressed sitting here at work . If this keeps up I'm not gonna be able to wait until my lonely hill Ski Roundtop opens. I haven't paid to ski in 7 years now and won't get free skiing until they open. PLEASE have a heart!
Old 10-18-2002, 12:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Ben-

My parents owned a ski resort for about 20 years. They sold it last year, and I still cant get used to having to 'buy' my lift ticket. We even used to have a reserved parking spot right by the lift... now i know what its like to have to walk across a muddy parking lot in ski boots trying to carry 2 pair of skis!

Mike
Old 10-18-2002, 01:10 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Skiing

Oh yeah, what'd they own? Just wanna know if I helped with the Fix Mike's bearings fund?
Old 10-18-2002, 09:15 PM
Green1995SVX

Ski Sawmill... small hill in north central PA.

Mike
Old 10-19-2002, 02:01 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Re: OT: First to open....

Quote:
Originally posted by subymtnguy
Loveland Ski Area, located high on the continental divide, will be the first to open in the country, this morning at 9:00 am.

It has been dry, and cold at night, allowing for good snowmaking...

Snow? What's that?

Andy