Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Transmission and Drivetrain
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2009, 05:35 AM

Re: Wiring for manual gearbox on Oz, JDM & European Cars.

i know that my speedo is working in my AU car with a jdm auto box fitted, its working on the rear sensor that picks up on the output for the tailshaft and is external

regards cam
Old 05-18-2009, 04:40 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
i know that my speedo is working in my AU car with a jdm auto box fitted, its working on the rear sensor that picks up on the output for the tailshaft and is external

regards cam
Cam

In the Oz box both sensors are of the same type, so SS1[at the back] and SS2[inside the box] both output the same type of signal.

In the case of your original Oz auto box your speedo would have been reading off SS2, which in the Australian case is inside the gearbox with the signal wire exiting from left hand loom going forward.

In the case of the JDM box you installed, the SS2 signal would originally have been from the two wires coming out of the front diff, and would be the Hall Effect type. Your Oz speedo would not recognise that signal, so whoever put in your gearbox fed the rear external SS1 signal to it, and that is the same range as your OZ speedo expects and can display.

For the chap in Germany changing to a manual gearbox, he needs to feed his speedo the Hall Effect type signal, at least I think he does if the information we have is correct. He would have to check if the SS2 signal feeding the speedometer on his German auto gearbox is fed from inside and coming up the left loom like your Oz type, or fed from the two wires coming off the front diff, like the JDM and USA types.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Last edited by svxistentialist; 05-18-2009 at 04:52 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 06:09 AM

Cam there are two speedo sensors to control the diff, only one of yours is working. Guys the OZ problem is one of ratio as we run a different diff so are signal is feed to the TCU to reclac then to the ECU. The type of singal as far as I have found is the same on all Subaru,s and that is the it pulls the ECU or speedo low on pulse. Have had 5 speed and 6 speed and they have all been the same. Bye for now I am going bush.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 05-18-2009, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
Cam

In the Oz box both sensors are of the same type, so SS1[at the back] and SS2[inside the box] both output the same type of signal.

In the case of your original Oz auto box your speedo would have been reading off SS2, which in the Australian case is inside the gearbox with the signal wire exiting from left hand loom going forward.

In the case of the JDM box you installed, the SS2 signal would originally have been from the two wires coming out of the front diff, and would be the Hall Effect type. Your Oz speedo would not recognise that signal, so whoever put in your gearbox fed the rear external SS1 signal to it, and that is the same range as your OZ speedo expects and can display.

For the chap in Germany changing to a manual gearbox, he needs to feed his speedo the Hall Effect type signal, at least I think he does if the information we have is correct. He would have to check if the SS2 signal feeding the speedometer on his German auto gearbox is fed from inside and coming up the left loom like your Oz type, or fed from the two wires coming off the front diff, like the JDM and USA types.

Joe
I know mine was a plug and play they didnt change any wiring they just plugged in the harness's and the speedo still worked i do have a duty solenoid issue(disconnected/manual switch) because the front sensor isnt hooked up

cam
Old 05-18-2009, 08:00 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacyau View Post
I know mine was a plug and play they didnt change any wiring they just plugged in the harness's and the speedo still worked i do have a duty solenoid issue(disconnected/manual switch) because the front sensor isnt hooked up

cam
That's nice to know cam. It means the speedo can read the road speed from the rear sensor as a backup.

If yours has no connection for the front speed sensor [SS2] then the TCU would have no way of comparing front vs rear axle speeds so as to re-apportion traction.

Did you ever think of wiring in a Japanese TCU in place of the original OZ one you have? That might cure the problem.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-18-2009, 01:28 PM

yes i have thought of that and i even have a jdm tcu but i'm thinking it will be manual first
Old 05-24-2009, 05:42 PM

Hi guys,

I had done the wiring under the dash and engine bay. But the speedo dont work. I tried all combinations of the 3pin speedo. When i connect the speedo while ignition is on, the speedo gauge sometimes deflects, so the wiring is ok I think.

Is the legacy turbo speedo bad, or does it have the wrong signal?

greetings
Old 06-27-2009, 07:59 PM
Endangered Species

Send a message via MSN to -JJ-

I'm back in the saddle, 5 speed is now back in with a new thrust race, ready to go for the wiring now, Tony, the box i have has the speed sensor in the front diff, just be hind the bell housing. Let me know what is next?

removed intake silencer, k&N pannel filter, trans cooler, 94 JDM 4eat, Noltec front swaybar mounts, Motorsport D&S disks with EBC Greenstuff pads
Old 08-23-2009, 02:39 AM

Just a quick update we have got fluo's speedo working. We also go the cruise going as well. The catch was that he had wired the starter direct form the switch so the engine wouldn't start properly took a while so we connected the orignal wire to the starter circuit. Now the car starts but the cruise stopped working.
To get around this problem we need to undo the passenger side of the dash and pull the diode so the cruise can't check the starter is connected to the starter wire.
The way to fix it is to open the passenger side of the dash just enough to get to the diode holder and pull out the diode that has the RedBlack & BlackWhite wires connecting it. Would be good if a member had a dash apart to show what it looks like.
Tony
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 09-01-2009, 06:31 AM

Hi,

at first a big thank you to all who helped me with the wiring . Now , almost everything is working well. Only the cruise control is disabled.

Is it possible, if i install a switch on the neutral safety switch for the starter wiring. So only when i turn the switch on, i can start the car. When the car is running, i turn it off and the cruise control will work? I can hide the switch in the car, so you can only start the car, if you know where the switch is .

Greetings