Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 09-07-2002, 10:38 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Clickity, Clackity, Click.

No, I don't tap dance.

For those with the clicking hydraulic valve lash adjusters (mohrds), I discovered something interesting since the last oil change.

I was running 10W40 Amsoil before, and it would be noisy when the engine's cold until I drive it for a couple of minutes. The reason i ran 10W40 was to "minimize" the seepage around my leaking areas.

Well, the last oil change, I put in 5W30 Amsoil instead. And the clicking has just about disappeared. Now, the lighter weight oil probably helped flow, which is likely why the noise has gone away, but for now, life is good. Whether the problem will return once the temperature drops, we'll have to wait and see.

But seeing Doug was about to change his oil pump to try to alleviate the problem, the question is, what weight oil are you running?

VK
Old 09-07-2002, 10:54 PM
Not as old as Randy

Significant Technical Input
Have you tried Rislone, Lifter Medic (my fav), or Marvel Hi-Rev? They're all engine flushes and do well for clearing lifters and rings. I usually recommend three applications at 1,000 mile intervals. Follow the directions exactly! I've unclogged lifters and stopped some engines from smoking (stuck oil rings.)

If a reduction of oil weight helped, you probably have a varnish build-up. A couple oil changes is a heckuva lot cheaper and easier. And fix those leaks so you can use 10w30. If you're set on using synthetics, have you considered half and half? Many times that will give you better oil control without resorting to heavier oil.
Old 09-09-2002, 02:51 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Beav,

The 5W30 is to prepare it for winter... Won't be driving the car much after this month.

A quart every 1500 miles isn't too much for me to handle at this point, and the car only smokes at full throttle, and only very little.

I was using the Amsoil engine flushes, two bottles so far. I might try the products you recommend, and run dino oil between those flushes.

VK