How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 11-19-2008, 09:36 AM

Drove my 97 for the first time

Hello Gang,

I believe I must hold the record for the longest dragged on purchase on record. I first heard about my SVX on this forum in Dec 2007 and finally got in contact with the hard to reach owner in Feb 2008. Negotiations, storage, life delays, more storage, travel, and finally transport to the Canadian boarder and then another 28 days of storage before boarder crossing.

Well yesterday, Nov 18th I drove the car home from the US/Canadian border, a 45 mins drive from Champlain, NY to Montreal, Canada.

First drive impressions are not all that fair as the car has mostly sat from Feb 2008 till now. It was exercised every month to keep things healthy. It felt a little stuffy from being closed up for so long. The tires were in need of some air and I could not find a gas with a working pump station till I got close to home and by that point I just decided to do it at home since I did not have a gauge with me. The front wheels are of coarse on backwards. I will need to restore or change the front lights (I will change for new ones). The driver door window switch cluster is loose and presses in some when pressure is applied to the most top window-lock button. One rear passenger speaker sounds fuzzy, rest of sound system is perfect. All glass and panels are great inside and out. Got two original keys with original SVX remotes. Got OEM cup holders Got a new set of spare beige mats still in the original package/plastic aside from the ones already in the car . A new battery last month. New full service done March 2008 by previous owner with complete breaks and rear bearings plus all fluids changed.

So my first drive...
It drove nice but I think it could have been nice since it was needing air in the tires. No they were not dangerously low as I would not have driven it but it was visible to me. It was the first time I have been in an SVX since late 1991 (my friends father bought one of the first 92 model Pearly back then) yet alone drove one. I think the window with in a window black trim will take some getting used to. I also did not like the steering wheel position. I adjust the telescopic part but the tilt seems to only have two positions, up to get out and down which blocks my view of the speedo. If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it.
I know I need to change the spark plugs as the originals are still on the car and yes I know its a pain to do.

I will follow up with more on it after I get it past through Canada inspections so that I can plate and insure it. At that point I will have it detailed and rust proofed for the season.

Regards

Max
Old 11-19-2008, 09:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to mikecg Send a message via Yahoo to mikecg
Re: Drove my 97 for the first time

Mine was probubly the quickest sale. At least for the dealership. I bought mine used. I paid what they gave the guy for a trade in. I was test driving it as he was leaving with the New Jaguar that he traded it on. I left with the car about an hour and a half later. I just happened to show up when they brought the car over to there used car lot. It was parked in the customer parking area right beside my POA. I was getting in my car to leave when a dealer approached me and asked if I saw anything I like. I said "just that red car sitting beside mine, shame it isn't forsale". He replied, " Actually it just got traded in so if you really are interested lets take it for a drive." As we were pulling out for the test drive he points over to a blue Jag leaving and says, " see that car leaving, that's the guy that just traded it in." It was early summer 2002. The SVX was a 1994 FWD L model with only 12,000 miles on it. The dealership didnt even have to detail it. It even still had the factory tires. The owner claimed it had only been driven on sunny days. I got home and it rain for a week straight.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:09 AM
Electronic Counter Measures ON

Send a message via ICQ to Sov13t Send a message via AIM to Sov13t Send a message via MSN to Sov13t

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxg765 View Post
I adjust the telescopic part but the tilt seems to only have two positions, up to get out and down which blocks my view of the speedo. If anyone can confirm this I'd appreciate it.
Max,

You should check this out: http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/show...8&postcount=18

There is a third lever that adjusts the height of the wheel, which should resolve that issue.

Congratulations on finally driving your car home!
-Sov13t.
Old 11-19-2008, 10:20 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX

This is from the SVX drivers manual. - Ed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tilt.jpg (786.4 KB, 193 views)
Old 11-19-2008, 10:31 AM

Hey,

Thanks, Sov13t and ZMan for the info on the tilt adjustment. I did not know there was a third switch. I also just learned about the switch for the winter mode on of the wipers. I wonder what other secrets this car may hold. The wheel tilt will make a big difference for me as it was set to what I believe is the near lowest point and I found it not to my taste. As well the "get out" quick release was obviously too high and bus like. It was something that really bothered me on that 45 mins first drive. Between that and adding air to the tires I expect the second drive to be much more pleasant.

Regards

Max
Old 11-19-2008, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikecg View Post
Mine was probubly the quickest sale. At least for the dealership. I bought mine used. I paid what they gave the guy for a trade in. I was test driving it as he was leaving with the New Jaguar that he traded it on. I left with the car about an hour and a half later. I just happened to show up when they brought the car over to there used car lot. It was parked in the customer parking area right beside my POA. I was getting in my car to leave when a dealer approached me and asked if I saw anything I like. I said "just that red car sitting beside mine, shame it isn't forsale". He replied, " Actually it just got traded in so if you really are interested lets take it for a drive." As we were pulling out for the test drive he points over to a blue Jag leaving and says, " see that car leaving, that's the guy that just traded it in." It was early summer 2002. The SVX was a 1994 FWD L model with only 12,000 miles on it. The dealership didnt even have to detail it. It even still had the factory tires. The owner claimed it had only been driven on sunny days. I got home and it rain for a week straight.
Thats a finny story. Yup, I would have to agree and say that it is prob one of the quickest used car sales ever.

I kind of did that with my 2005 Volvo XC90 except it was new at the time. Went in to my Volvo dealer on my way home from work to get a quote on a new windshield for my 02 Volvo S60, it had chipped/cracked the day before due to a huge flying stone. While waiting there was new 05 White XC90 truck in the glass delivery room off the show room. I always look there because the cars are at there best just having been prepped for delivery and never yet on the road. While waiting and eying the XC90 the salesman walks over to me and says ..."nice huh?". I agreed and said yup too bad its sold. He said funny thing was that the buyer sitting just over there has just backed out even though he had left a non refundable $5000 before taxes deposit as a down payment. It was not refundable because the truck was a special order. Ordered without premium package but with the NAVIGATION, Seven Seats, Sun Roof, Big Tires, and Leather which were all added manually at the same cost of what it would have been to have the premium package. The premium would have added all those plus in addition the wood trim, integrated garage opener home link, an upgraded stereo, and tinted glass as a whole package. The dealer new that they could not sell a car with most the options but not have actual premium package with the wood trim, Garage opener, upgraded sound system and tinted glass for near the same retail cost. The salesman said in a joking manner, "the next guy will be happy as the dealer ship owner just wants the car gone and is willing to pass on the $5000 savings on the the next buyer plus knock off another $500. I said sold, signed and waited the 1 hour for the paper work to go through and drove it home that same night. I actually prefer not to have the black rear tinted glass anyway as I hate heavy dark tints at night. To top it all off Volvo had the loyalty program at the time giving another $750 off plus 2% lower interest rates on lease or finance to existing Volvo owners while letting them out of their current Volvo leases if within the last 18 months and more than half the term had passed. My rate ended up being 0.9%. I scored a total of $6250 off the already lowered from sticker price that the previous buyer had negotiated, I just couldn't pass it up. On top of that they took back my current 2002 leased car without me having to replace the windshield which would have cost me another $800 so really some $7050 in savings. The wife was a little confused with the windshield turning into a whole new car idea.....

Anyways...

Regards

Max
Old 11-20-2008, 12:25 AM
Betcha can't buy just one!
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via ICQ to ensteele Send a message via Yahoo to ensteele Send a message via Skype™ to ensteele
Registered SVX Classic SVX

I am still trying to get a car home after 1 1/2 years or more. I won't go into all of the problems.

Subaru Ambassador

[COLOR=”silver”]1992 Tri Color L[/COLOR] ~45K (06/91) #2430
1992 Dark Teal LS-L ~184K (05/91) #0739
1992 Claret LS-L ~196K (05/91) #0831
1992 Pearl LS-L ~103K (06/91) #1680
1992 Pearl LS-L ~151K (06/91) #2229
1992 Dark Teal LS ~150K (07/91) #3098 (parts car)
1992 White LS-L ~139K (08/92) #6913
1993 25th AE ~98K (02/93) #164
1993 25th AE ~58K (02/93) #176
1993 25th AE ~107K (02/93) #215
1993 25th AE ~162K (02/93) #223
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~124K (1/94) #2408
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~144K (10/93) #1484
1994 Laguna Blue Pearl LSi ~68K (10/93) #1525
1994 Barcelona Red LSi ~46K (02/94) #2624
1994 Pearl LSi ~41K (12/93) #1961
1995 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~70K (02/95) #855
1996 Polo Green LSi ~95K (03/96) #872
1997 Bordeaux Pearl LSi ~55K (08/96) #097
2003 Brilliant Red LS1 Convertible ~29K (04/03) #8951
1999 Magnetic Red LS1 Coupe ~33K (04/99) #6420

My Email | Old Locker | New Locker | Picture of 15 of the 19
Old 11-20-2008, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ensteele View Post
I am still trying to get a car home after 1 1/2 years or more.
...and you with nothing else to drive. tsk.
Old 11-21-2008, 11:11 AM

Send a message via MSN to IceBlade

Congrats on the purchase Have any pictures? Perhaps I'll see you around
Old 11-26-2008, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceBlade View Post
Congrats on the purchase Have any pictures? Perhaps I'll see you around

Wow another Montrealer. Great. I had some pictures posted from the before I bought the car but I will have some new ones up soon (I hope).

So where abouts in Mtl are you? Where do you service your car. The only two Subi dealers I know is the Auto Center on St Catherine downtown or the one in the South Shore on Taschereau. I had never used the South Shore one but had been to the Downtown one before having bought a new 97 Legacy GT back in 1997. I was not too impressed and they were unreasonable when my dash lights burnt out after 31/2 years and charged me some $200 to replace. The car had on 50000KMS on it at the time.

Anyway nice to see there is another. I have seen one bordeaux car driving around that past few months on Cote St Luc Road and a Green one in the South Shore that was for sale. Aside from that I have never seen another fro some 8 years now.

Best regards

Max