How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-21-2008, 07:10 PM

Send a message via AIM to JLHollowX13
Suspension help needed

i think i might need some new suspension components. what would everyone recommend i get and where would i get it? one thing i notice about my car is that if i go over small bumps the drivers side will kind of vibrate after i am through the bumps. actually its more like i hear a rattling sound, i dont actually feel any vibrations i dont think, its more rattling. i jacked the car up and everything feels tight, nothing loose or missing bolts or anything. i just want some stiffer suspension and to get rid of the rattling. any help would be appreciated. i dont have tons of money to spend but i do want a difference in the way it drives.
Old 03-22-2008, 12:32 AM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

don't think this will fix your rattling problem, but here's what i was working on this week.http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43870
Old 03-22-2008, 03:08 AM

actually i looked at that thread yesterday. im thinking about putting in the spring booster blocks, i could definitely use some extra travel and tighter suspension! would i just go to the auto parts store and ask for spring booster blocks or do they go by a certain name or what? im not worried about the alignment thing, as i need one anyway, i could just hold off until i do this. it seems like itll benefit me pretty well, i live on a very curvy road into town, it sounds like itll help with that and in addition to the 15 min and 20 min mods im hoping to get sometime soon i think itll be a nice combo. as for feeling more bumps on the road, the dirt roads around here that i drive on daily arent very nice, but i dont drive very fast on them anyway, i take my time. i just think the stiffer suspension and higher travel will do wonders for me. if i knew of a cheap way to lift the svx a little bit and put some rally car suspension on it i would haha. anyway, what do i have to do to put the spacers in? im pretty good about being able to do just about anything to my car as long as i have a guide and i know exactly what im doing. if you could give me some pointers and help with installation i could be doing this this weekend!
Old 03-22-2008, 11:42 AM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

i got them at a local auto store, they are just called spring booster blocks. they come in rubber or aluminum(which i got) and large or small(i went with small) as for putting them in i jacked up the car and wedged them in by hand, once the car is set back down they are pinched solid in place by the compression of the spring. i added a pic to my other thread.
Old 03-22-2008, 07:34 PM

Send a message via AIM to Suby Fan Send a message via MSN to Suby Fan Send a message via Yahoo to Suby Fan
i wouldn't recommend these they mess up your alignment angles and put unnecessary stress on your springs
need work done? Have tools will travel
Old 03-23-2008, 07:05 AM

i might try them anyway, and i might go with the larger ones (im assuming they will raise the car even further?) im not worried about the alignment, i still need to get one anyway since ive gotten my new tires so once thats done it should be back to normal right? and the unnecessary strain on the springs..... the reason im doing this is because i think my springs are saggy as it is, my car seems too bouncy, i think this will help tighten up the suspension. i think ill just try it, see how it goes, and i can always take them out if need be.
Old 03-23-2008, 07:33 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Your best bet is to actually replace the springs all around. I just switched over to Ground Control coil overs (you must already have the Koni inserts or do them at the same time), which are the ultimate in terms of spring rate and ability to vary the ride height. An alternative is going with Mychailo's higher rate springs that will work with the stock struts. They make a big, big difference over the stock springs and actually lower the car by ~.75 inches. I've been running them for a couple of years and they're great! Since the GCs replaced them, they are available for purchase
-Bill

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-23-2008, 08:32 AM

i may still get the inserts, just to see what theyll do, but how much are you asking for those springs? if the price is right you may have a buyer!
Old 03-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Official AutoX Part Breaker
Subaru Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHollowX13 View Post
i may still get the inserts, just to see what theyll do, but how much are you asking for those springs? if the price is right you may have a buyer!
PM responded to!
-Bill
p.s. what's your zip code?

Most famous NASA "Child" - OSIRIS-REx delivered samples from asteroid BENNU to Earth in Sept. 2023

Center Network Member #989

'92 Fully caged, 5 speed, waiting for its fully built EG33
'92 "Test Mule", 4:44 Auto, JDM 4:44 Rear Diff with Mech LSD, Tuned headers, Full one-off suspension
'92(?) Laguna, 6 spd and other stuff (still at OT's place)
My Locker
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 AM

zip is 80814