IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM
SVXtreme

check your transmission codes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
Hi Trevor,

Tranny seems fine but I am getting 16 flashes when I start the car and Tom suggested checking the resistor.

Greg
Old 03-01-2008, 07:28 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hop View Post
Hi Trevor,

Tranny seems fine but I am getting 16 flashes when I start the car and Tom suggested checking the resistor.

Greg
Hi Greg,

Now I have the picture and Tom gave you good advice.

Early models of the shift kit add on thing cause the light to flash. Get rid of it ,is my advice.

It is very strange that you do not have a resistor fitted, as this is required as part and parcel of the operation of the shift kit, which should be connected to it. You will do no harm driving the car for a short while until you sort things out.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-02-2008, 02:32 AM
Registered Loser

Hopefully I don't have the same thing going on with my car when I decide to pull out my resistor, which I hope is there...

Meanwhile back in Aus, somehow, I find it logical to pull out the resistor and check it instead of pulling out transmission codes, I don't know why.
And if I test the resistor or see that the resistor is in good condition, I'll be completely lost. I'm doing the resistor change tomorrow with this resistor...

http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/b...0&cacheID=auie

It looks pretty promising, (fingers crossed) and I will take some pictures and post everything with results.

Jordan.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:24 AM
Registered Loser

hopefully this link works

http://www.rsaustralia.com/cgi-bin/b...0&cacheID=auie
Old 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuRbZ View Post
Hey guys, has anyone from Australia properly done the resistor swap with good results????

The largest wirewound resistor I can get my hands on is a 17w 15ohm

or an aluminium clad resistor which needs cooling and a heatsink which is 25w and 15ohm

So has anyone fixed up their resistor and what did you use.

Thanks, Jordan.
Hi Jordan,

I am not sure what you are getting at by referring to "the resistor swap", as this thread applies to replacing a faulty resistor, rather than a modification.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 03-02-2008, 04:36 PM
Registered Loser

Basically, I'm replacing the faulty resistor that sits next to the battery, mounted on the wall. There is a how-to specifying a replacement 25Watt 15Ohm resistor... the link that I gave you guys didn't work but I've ordered an aluminium heatsinked wirewound resistor that's a 100Watt 15Ohm. Hopefully I'm in the right thread but if anyone has any objections about the resistor that I will be using please tell me now because I'm an amateur and the resistor will be most likely replaced today... by me!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:17 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Basically, I'm replacing the faulty resistor that sits next to the battery, mounted on the wall. There is a how-to specifying a replacement 25Watt 15Ohm resistor... the link that I gave you guys didn't work but I've ordered an aluminium heatsinked wirewound resistor that's a 100Watt 15Ohm. Hopefully I'm in the right thread but if anyone has any objections about the resistor that I will be using please tell me now because I'm an amateur and the resistor will be most likely replaced today... by me!
The 100 watt will be better than the original which tends to run hot. It may be physically too large for the original enclosure, but with its aluminium heat sink, you may be able to mount it as is and use a couple of screw connectors.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered Loser

SWEET!

yeah im going to have to improvise a little, i dont plan on keeping the other housing, only the connector piece

Since the link that I've been sending doesn't seem to be working, check it out at

http://www.rsaustralia.com/

and up the top of the website it says "Find" type in 188-138 (next to find) and use the drop down tab to select "RS Stock Number" and smash the "Find" button.

I think it's a neat little resistor BUT I'm also scared about short circuiting things especially the TCU, hopefully I don't run into trouble and if someone thinks I will, please tell me now.

Jordan.
Old 03-02-2008, 08:19 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
SWEET!

yeah im going to have to improvise a little, i dont plan on keeping the other housing, only the connector piece

Since the link that I've been sending doesn't seem to be working, check it out at

http://www.rsaustralia.com/

and up the top of the website it says "Find" type in 188-138 (next to find) and use the drop down tab to select "RS Stock Number" and smash the "Find" button.

I think it's a neat little resistor BUT I'm also scared about short circuiting things especially the TCU, hopefully I don't run into trouble and if someone thinks I will, please tell me now.

Jordan.
Good one, we have Radio Spares over here. Expensive but sure have a range of stuff. That resistor is far superior to the original in every way except that you will have keep mechanical load off the terminals.

Don't panic regarding it being a connection to electronic stuff. A robust solenoid switching circuit is involved and with the ignition switch off you can do no harm.