Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 12-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Registered SVX
if you read the stats you will use abs to avoid an accident approx every 3-6 months as sometimes it functions silently behind the scenes
question : do you like airbags? I personally HATE them, I dont like the idea of a loaded shotgun shell pointed at my face all the time. the point is airbags come standard on most all ( if not all cars) today WHY??? the odds favor that you will not use an airbag for most of your life but the person who's life is saved by one will normally swear by them, I feel its a personal decision, disconnect the fuse if you dont like it ( I however dont reccommend this ) the weight of this car allows abs to be used in controlling the stops safely with a MUCH shorter stopping distance or while using the brakes on a turn or turning a corner or to swerve to miss a person /dog/deer/etc .
so in my opinion , yes something else to break , however abs is a absolute MUST on a car I buy. ( airbags I can live without)
Old 12-11-2007, 06:12 PM
Yugo aficionado

Honestly, every car I've owned with ABS it's been nothing but problems. Seems like some sensor or solenoid is always crapin out on me, not to mention the ridiculous price for parts/repairs.. As far as stopping better in snow, I say bull. I have been driving in Wisconsin winters for 14 years now, and I've lost count of how many times I've slid, er, rolled part way through intersections due to the abs kicking in, all while knowing a non abs car would have stopped in plenty of time. On curves, I'll do everything I can to avoid using the brakes in snow or ice, up to, and including hittin the ditch(hey a tow bill is cheaper than the insurance hike after a crash) Some might say the "added" weight of the SVX is my problem, but coming from an 88 Lincon Towncar, and a 69 Olds Cutlass, I thinks not lol! Come spring, this electronic nanny crap is gone!
4:11 trans
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
Viper 550 HF Alarm/Remote Start
18" Enkei Evo5's
Old 12-11-2007, 08:32 PM

Registered SVX
do what you feel you must, just having an accident in it it WILL cause you ALOT OF CASH if it is found out you tampered with the car. yes it is yours and people mod their cars all the time , they just normally dont mod backwards. and how does a car at full lockup( w/o abs) stop faster with steerability than a said same vehicle with abs skid pad says differently
Old 12-11-2007, 09:25 PM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
In snow, a competent driver can out stop ABS. That is a fact, made even more true with the bulk of our cars still being Auto Trans. If ABS is invoked, in gear, above the threshold speed of about 3mph, on slick snow, the car will resolutely refuse to stop. The car will keep travelling at idle speed, until you let off the brake for 3/4 sec, then reapply below the threshold speed, whereupon the brakes will lock.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:56 PM
Yugo aficionado

I agree that it can be a big help in panic situations, and on icy roads it will prove shorter stopping distances, given a driver that simply mashes the pedal to the floor as most people will do in a panic. Unfortunatly, a large number of drivers these days only know how to react to potential crashes by stomping the brakes hard and closing their eyes. It's lots of fun when someone misses a stop sign, sees you coming and stops dead in the middle of an intersection, leaving you nowhere to go but into them, when hitting the gas could have resulted in a near miss... I chalk it up to poor drivers ed, but thats a whole different topic So back on topic here.. A skilled driver, with standard brakes can and is just as effective by controlling wheel lock up. Ask any auto crosser who used to drive Nissan Sentras with 1st gen abs how much they liked hitting an apex hard on the brakes, having the inside rear tire lift, and all the sudden the outside front brake lets go when the abs kicks in! I'll tell you it's not fun.(and requires clean shorts) Also I'm hard pressed to come up with any motorsports that use abs, WRC, Indy, F1, and NASCAR don't to the best of my knowledge. But beyond all that, I simply don't like the way abs works for my driving style. Not to mention when something goes wrong with an abs system. Try stopping a full size van in the rain when the abs pump fails, leaving you with only rear brakes, and the day I get in a Benz with electronic brakes.. Yeah right, what happens to them if there's an electrical failure?(serious question here, I don't know, but the thought scares me) But hey, we all have our own opinions, and I'm not trying to be rude, or discount your opinion, just offer a different perspective. Oh yeah, as far as tampering, as long as the brake system is operating properly after removing the abs, and there is an accident it's a non issue. Brakes are brakes, abs or not, they either work or they don't. Now if I change out the abs, the brakes fail, and I cause an accident thats another story.
4:11 trans
Lightweight crank pulley
Redline Shockproof
Trans Cooler
Viper 550 HF Alarm/Remote Start
18" Enkei Evo5's

Last edited by Psychosis5150; 12-11-2007 at 10:03 PM.