Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 12-30-2001, 07:42 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
OT: VMware

Oh my goodness. This is like the coolest things to come around since.... Uhh.. Hard drives?? I duuno, but this just absolutly rocks. I started playing with a 30 day demo if VMware. For those interested but dont know, that stands for Virtual Machine hard/sodtware. Its basically a machine emulator. So, your saying, whats that good for?! Well for me, I am running a virtual Linux box ON my Windows 2000 instalation. This is going to come in handy as a development machine. I can "play" with new ideas and settings on aonther Linux server/instalation that is NOT live to see how weel they work and look BEFORE I make the same changes here on the LIVE server. I like this. And I dont have to reboot the box in oder to use one or the other OS. I can do everything right from Windows 2000. Jim (another one of our backend administrators) on the other hand uses VMware on his macihne at work to run a Virtual Windows 2000 machine on his Linux box. The software is a bit pricey, but is worth it to have two different OS'es availible to you on one machine without having to reboot between OS'es or having a second computer and KVM. I know that for some of you out there this is all jibberish and or doesnt sound like much, but for some of us developers, it ROCKS. I suggest it to anyone who has to deal with multiple OS'es. Website has the software you can download (full version) with a 30 day key for trial. You can check it out at http://www.vmware.com
Also I will attach a picture of my Windows 2000 desktop with Linux running on it as well.

Cool stuff, I give it a 9 rating! Just needs to be a bit cheaper. Easy to use though.

Note: Picture is 1024x768 (156K)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vm_screen.jpg (152.9 KB, 121 views)

ECU Tune (stage 1), PWR (prototype aluminum radiator)
Amateur Radio - General Class - K7SVX
#1 92 Teal LSl 246k (Dedicated SVX Race Car, now with 4.44 speed)
#2 92 Teal LSl 125k (Retired, car rescued from a field of weeds)
2007 Impreza 2.5i Special Edition, Obsidian Black Pearl (Daily driver)
2001 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab, Cummins turbo diesel 4x4 (race car & RV hauler)
1985 Honda VF500 Interceptor (fair weather fun commuter)

Going on 11 years of NHRA bracket racing
NHRA Div 6 Car/Driver # T654 (site being rebuilt, new name is www.teamsvxracing.com)
2000 1st Place Club Challenge Series
2002 3rd Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 4th Place Season Track Champion, Import Racing (Firebird Raceway)
2003 1st Place NW Regional Import Shootout (July 5th)
2004 1st Place Club Challenge #1 (Firebird Raceway)
2004 1st Place NHRA "King of the Track" race
2004 NHRA Gold Cup 2nd place season win
2004 Import/Sport Compact 3rd place season win
2004 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Race of Champions finalist competitor (Mission, BC)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #3
2007 1st Place Track Champion Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2007 1st Place Import Survival #5
2008 Club season 1st place win, Club Champion
2008 2nd Place Season Import Final.
2008 Division 6 Summit/ET NHRA Import Finals (Woodburn, Or)
2009 2nd Place Import Summer Jam (Wild Street Class)
2010 1st Place Club race #2 - 1st place Sport Compact race #1 & #2
Old 12-30-2001, 11:09 AM
sith

ya! vmware rocks... they used to offer a really nice student discount, but dont' seem to anymore

How about Virtual PC running win98, looking at your screenshot of linux running on win2k, all running on top of Mac OSX?

mmmm

:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg screenshot.jpg (238.9 KB, 109 views)
Old 12-31-2001, 02:12 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Quote:
Originally posted by sith
ya! vmware rocks... they used to offer a really nice student discount, but dont' seem to anymore

How about Virtual PC running win98, looking at your screenshot of linux running on win2k, all running on top of Mac OSX?

mmmm

:
Just out of curiosity, what's the performance of that like? What is your setup?

Macintosh - the SVX of the OS world, except its transmission doesn't break so often.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 12-31-2001, 04:15 PM
sith

OSX is the first thing that's had me excited about computing in a number of years. I'm running it on a second hand g3 powerbook, and performance is pretty good. Bumping the ram to 512mb (~$40) made it entirely usable. I've been using it as my only computer for the last two weeks, and it's just amazing. Virtual PC itself doesn't run that well yet, since 5.0 is their first try at an OSX port and it's essentially totally unoptimized.

I'd say that in another 6 months most of the major software apps will be ported to it and optimized, at which point things could get very interesting in the computing field... highly worth checking out if you can get to an Apple store. Plus all their hardware is so svelte...

Keep in mind, this is coming from a kid who bashed Mac's for as long as I can remember...
Old 12-31-2001, 10:59 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
Mac bashing

Yeah, I was pretty down on them when they brought out the first Macintosh. But then I used one, and the rest, as they say, is history. Right now, I'm using a Compaq Windowbox ay home, and a Dell at work, and I have come to throughly hate, despise, and loathe all things Microsoft. I used to just dislike them. Next machine I buy will be a G3 tower. By then, they should have Virtual PC pretty well tamed.

Bottom line is, it just works better, and is a lot easier to use. At least for my money.

Thanks for the info.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.