MikeInd

Rewound alternators

Hey, Has anyone had good luck with rewound alternators? If so,
who did the work and where?

Thanks
Old 02-29-2004, 09:50 PM
CGLathrop

One Source

I had E-Mailed Chuys auto about getting my alternator re-built. They said to re-build to stock was $70, modified would run $170. This was back in Nov of 2002, so prices may have gone up. Here is there email address:

info@chuysautoelectric.com

And a phone number

(323)-264-1704

I never did get mine done, figured I would wait till after I got back from my assignment to Turkey, then take care of it. Let me know if you get any other info.

Chris
Old 03-01-2004, 04:49 PM
Tim-H

not sure about rewinding the old one, but i got a rebuilt one put in and went through 4 or 5 before i got one that finally worked. All replaced under warranty of the first one luckily.
Old 03-01-2004, 07:55 PM
slacker

Re: Alternator Repair

Usually it's the voltage rectifier ~ regulator assembly in the rear of alternator that goes bad, or the bearings.

Haven't encountered one with bad field windings (yet).

Just replaced a rebuilt one, that although functional, did not fit right (perpendicular) and would have soon taken out the front bearing.

Some of the rebuilt ones are pretty chessey, and bear a very close look.

When I called the shop in Chicago (that sold and installed the rebuilt one for the previous owner) they knew what I was talking about and told me to take a hack saw and modifiy it. A good example of what to watch out for.

If you can find a good used one (Subaru# 23700AA190) with good bearings and a return guarantee you may be better off. This is the route I took.

Be sure not to overtighten the serpentine belt this will cause premature bearing failure.
Old 03-02-2004, 01:27 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Wiz Send a message via AIM to Wiz Send a message via Yahoo to Wiz
I just got mine rebuilt a few days ago because one of the 8 diodes blew. It runs so much better now. No dimmer lights when the car is ideling etc. As a matter of fact the whole car seems to work much better now. I donno if thats because of the alternator rebuild or because I was without it for a week and got used to my moms slow 2.2L wagon. The rebuild ran me $78.40 and I got it done by Bonded Auto in Ellsworth, Maine. They did one heck of a good job. Sandblasted the case and everything.

Last edited by Wiz; 03-02-2004 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-02-2004, 07:53 PM
slacker

Re: Alternator Maintenance

For those inclined, before installing a used alternator (or those highly motivated to do preventive maintenance), it's a good idea to clean the rectifier heat sink assembly partially visible in the rear cut out There are two separate heat sink assemblies, one red and one black (for the negative and positive connections).

I clean the entire alternator, starting with a sash brush, then compressed air, then gunk, then soap and water, rinse good and more compressed air to remove the water, then let it dry for a bit.

If you really want to get fancy, you can use a Dremel tool with a wire brush and polish the housing.

Grease and dirt accumulate on the heat sink and reduce the cooling of the rectifiers. Sustaned excess heat causes thermal runaway and kills the rectifiers. The ambient temperature under the hood (when driving) is rather hot, add a heavy electrical load and the rectifiers generate additional heat for the heat sink assemblies to dissipate.

Besides, with the alternator off you can clean the area beneath it, including the two electrical connections.