How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 04-07-2003, 08:28 PM
StaceyVX

I Need A Picture ASAP!!!

Can someone send me a picture of what the trans cooler looks like? I'm going to go look at a SVX tomorrow and the guy doesn't know if he has one or not. He got a brand new trans from Subaru and doesn't know if they put that in as well. I doubt it, but he's going to check it out for me. Thanks.
Old 04-07-2003, 08:45 PM
Meow!

Send a message via ICQ to Earthworm Send a message via AIM to Earthworm Send a message via MSN to Earthworm Send a message via Yahoo to Earthworm Send a message via Skype™ to Earthworm
If you're talking about the stock trans cooler then I will remind you it is built in to the radiator. There was no external tranny cooler unless you go aftermarket.
Old 04-07-2003, 09:01 PM
StaceyVX

Honestly, I have no clue what I'm talking about. When I was looking at another SVX, people were asking if he had a cooler installed...
Old 04-07-2003, 09:44 PM

Send a message via AIM to kuoh
There are two small hose fittings at the bottom of the radiator where two black rubber hoses from the tranny connects to. Those are the inlet and outlet of the stock cooler, which is built-in to the radiator. An external cooler generally looks like a smaller version of a radiator and is usually silver or black. Basically, if you see hoses on the stock cooler going directly into the tranny, then it does not have an external cooler. It may be easier to determine whether it has just a stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler if the car is up on a rack with the bottom cover removed.

KuoH
Old 04-08-2003, 05:08 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Stacey,

If you do not put in an auxillary trans cooler (an aftermarket modification, not a Subaru part), please have your mechanic backflush the original ATF cooler which is lcated in the bottom of the radiator. Also, make sure he puts the ATF filter kit on the hose leading to this stock cooler in the bottom of the radiator. There are many, many posts on this.

Good Luck.
'07 Gray Diamond Pearl Outback XT Ltd..."AH SO"
'05 White Pearl & Silver BAJA Turbo..."AH HA"
'97 Bordeaux Pearl SVX LSi..."SUBYDOO"
'94 White Pearl SVX LSi..."PEARLY"
'92 White Pearl SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."SVXY"
'92 Teal SVX LSL w/touring pkg..."ALCYONE"
'96 Polo Green LSi ... "MIDORI"
'00 Black Dodge VIPER RT-10... "VINNIE"

Engineers do it with precision.
English teachers are novel lovers.

Home: larrysingeriii@comcast.net

SVX FEVER, CATCH IT AT A MEET NEAR YOU !!

Last edited by LarryIII; 04-08-2003 at 05:10 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:42 AM
StaceyVX

Thanks for the advice. I just found out it doesn't have the aftermarket cooler...I'm about to make a post saying all the stuff the guy told me as I need more advice (as usual). Also, do you suggest I get the aftermarket cooler? How much is it?

Last edited by StaceyVX; 04-08-2003 at 07:45 AM.
Old 04-08-2003, 08:45 AM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Tranny cooler

Hey Stacy,
Glad you made it over here from the USMB (I'm the one who sent you the link). This new car you're looking at does sound better. The exhaust noise shouldn't be a big deal (should just be a bad resonator which you can have a piece of pipe welded in there for about $100 or less). The tranny cooler costs between $40-80 and then figure on an hour or two labor to install it. Its a good time to change your fluids (which I would recommend you do with any new car i.e. brake, oil, front and rear dif., coolant and ATF). For all of this stuff you'd probably be looking at $350 or so unless you can get Dennis do do most of it!!! The B&M 3/4" cooler either 16,000gvw or 19,000gvw seems to be the cooler of choice for most although there are some other worthy coolers out there. Some have put it in front of the radiator others in front of the ac condensor.

I would ask him to take it to a garage or a subie dealer. Chances are he should let ya take it yourself if you leave your car there and the value is about equal or ask him if he'll drive it to a dealer and you can drop him back off. Expect to pay about $100 for a good once over.
Old 04-08-2003, 02:05 PM
StaceyVX

THANKS!!!

Benebob, thanks so much for telling me about this site. Every person that I've talked to is super nice and has helped me a lot. And thanks for the info you just gave me. I really appreciate it.

What do you think about the CE light?
Old 04-08-2003, 02:40 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Check engine light

If there aren't any codes in the system I like to assume there isn't a problem. It could just be that a sensor has problems or something of that nature. For the longest time my SVX's check eng light would come on under these circumstances.
1. Drive and warm the car up.
2. Stop and let the car sit for at least 5 but not more than 15 minutes.
3. Drive the car up a hill without gunning the engine.

Did it maybe 30-40 times always under these conditions. The dealer didn't have a clue b/c it didn't hold any codes and of course they couldn't replicate the problem. I started using a fuel injector cleaner every 3rd fill up and the problem hasn't been back. Not saying it was the cleaner but who knows. I'd take it to the dealer and let them tell you what they think.