MAY 17-20 (Third weekend in May 2 50.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-10-2017, 10:28 AM
Pristine Green Polo Machine
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Exclamation Re: Reading 18 dates

UPDATE

Preliminary plans indicate that Reading 18 will be Friday, August 17 - Sunday, August 19, 2018.

The Duryea Hill Climb will be held on Saturday, August 18/ Sunday,August 19

1996 Polo Green LSi #216...138,100 miles...

JFICX8659TH100216JF1CX8659TH100216........Mfg. Date: 11/1995......... Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine"

First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a COW March 4, 2016
2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited ...68,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the SVX

5th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .I..SVXNATION

Last edited by svxcess; 03-23-2018 at 08:57 AM.
Old 12-11-2017, 05:32 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Reading 18 dates

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
UPDATE

Preliminary plans indicate that Reading 18 will be Friday, August 17 - Sunday, August 19, 2018.

The Duryea Hill Climb will be held on Saturday, August 18/ Sunday, August 19
That's the same weekend as the Dragon Meet is usually on...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed
08 Impreza 2.5i 5_Speed
09 Forester X Premium
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
XT6 Site
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "59"

Last edited by svxcess; 04-30-2018 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-18-2017, 11:36 AM

Registered SVX

Yea what is the relationship of the Hill climb to the SVX. 1st week in May still might be a snowing commute. . Still looking for a passenger. And roommate . Unless the car is in the shop I will try to make it. Would be nice to have some activity planned.
Old 03-20-2018, 10:49 AM

Where is Reading? PA? Any more info would be great.
Old 03-21-2018, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrogan55 View Post
Where is Reading? PA? Any more info would be great.
I keep hoping it's going to be in Redding, California.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:02 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

As mentioned in a few posts, it was supposed to be June 22-24 but now, per the organizer in a Facebook posting, they are not even sure of those dates.

I have to admit, this will be the first Reading meet in 18 years to be organized at the last possible minute. Hopefully this meet will not fall by the wayside...

"Flossie" - 92 black over pearl LS-L (sold)
"Gorgeous George" - 98 Audi A8 (traded)
"Gorgeous Genny" - 02 Audi S8 (sold)
"Green Giant" - 00 Land Rover Disco II
"Grey Wülf" - 05 Volvo S60 R
"Silver Surfer" - 92 black over liquid silver LS-L

Last edited by svxcess; 03-23-2018 at 10:18 AM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:02 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvXit View Post
As mentioned in a few posts, it was supposed to be June 22-24 but now, per the organizer in a Facebook posting, they are not even sure of those dates. Have to admit, this will be the first Reading meet to be organized at the last possible minute. Hopefully this meet will not fall by the wayside...

Because of security concerns with the Pagoda, for us as a group, for the Reading Hill Climb weekend, it was decided that it would work much better to have our activities coordinated with the Duryea Hill Climb in August.

UPDATE

Reading 18 will be held in Reading, PA, Friday, August 17 - Sunday, August 19, 2018.

Reading has traditionally been between the first and third week in April in Morgantown (not Reading). I am sure how we should refer this new meet. Maybe a return to tradition next year? It’s still about the people, not the events.

JFICX8659TH100216JF1CX8659TH100216........Mfg. Date: 11/1995......... Service Date: January 2, 1997

First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, Raceconcepts dimpled/slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a COW March 4, 2016
2014 Hyundai Elantra Limited ...68,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the SVX

Last edited by svxcess; 03-23-2018 at 01:20 PM.
Old 03-23-2018, 09:09 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

So, if you're set on a June Meet, come on down to the Dragon Meet !

http://www.subaru-svx.net/forum/showthread.php?t=64520

Then do the Reading Meet in August!
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed
08 Impreza 2.5i 5_Speed
09 Forester X Premium
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
XT6 Site
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "59"
Old 03-23-2018, 09:43 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Reading 18 and the Duryea Hill Climb

A bit more about the Duryea Hill Climb

The Blue Mountain Region SCCA hosts the longest hill in the Pennsylvania Hillclimb Association (PHA) series. Named for the obscure automobile maker and following the same route that Charles Duryea used to test his cars. This is a 2.3 mile hill located above beautiful city park in downtown Reading, PA., with a history dating back to 1951.

Charles produced Duryea vehicles as late as 1917. Based in Reading, Pennsylvania, it was not uncommon for residents to see him motoring a brand new automobile from City Park out to Mount Penn, managing the switchback road as a final test of durability and refinement.

Possibly the most diverse and challenging hill in the Northeast, Duryea boasts 13 turns (most of which are negotiated in the first half of the course) coupled with some high speeds at the top.

Hillclimbing presents unique challenges that can only be experienced in this venue of motorsports. A perfect example can be found in turn 6 at Duryea. This turn has a nickname (OH – S*IT) that describes the exact thought of a driver as they discover they have hit the brake either too early or too late. The challenge faced here is the quintessential dilemma of hillclimbing: how long can you stay on the gas when entering the turn without causing the course workers to scramble into the woods?

Some drivers fight the urge to break early, only to find themselves too deep into the turn, thus causing an involuntary muttering of the turn’s nickname before proceeding into the hay bails. On the other hand, even veteran drivers will sometimes fall prey to the optical illusion that causes the braking point to look closer than it actually is. The result is premature breaking (ask your therapist).

In baseball terms, it’s like starting your slide into homeplate halfway between home and third base (very embarassing to say the least). Consequently, this is the most popular turn for spectators. But if using your right foot is the reason you race, then welcome to the top of Duryea. Your thoughts turn to horsepower and freedom as you downshift into second or first gear, trying to keep your momentum around the hairpin turn 10, knowing that what awaits around the bend is a long, steep straightaway. Radar guns have clocked some cars at 140mph on the way to the checkered flag. Then again, if your car handles better than it accelerates, we suggest you bring along a copy of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine to catch up on your reading and to help pass the time as your car chugs its way up to the finish line.

Shuttle buses are available on the course which will drop you off at well pruned, safe, and accessible viewing areas (some with bleachers) to improve spectator access and enjoyment.

TIME TRIALS START AT 8:00AM BOTH DAYS

Last edited by svxcess; 03-23-2018 at 10:00 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:57 AM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Because of security concerns with the Pagoda, for us as a group, for the Reading Hill Climb weekend, it was decided that it would work much better to have our activities coordinated with the Duryea Hill Climb in August.

UPDATE

Reading 18 will be held in Reading, PA, Friday, August 17 - Sunday, August 19, 2018.

Reading has traditionally been between the first and third week in April in Morgantown (not Reading). I am sure how we should refer this new meet. Maybe a return to tradition next year? It’s still about the people, not the events.
Thanks for posting this. Right in the middle of my tenth wedding anniversary, and I was so looking forward to attending my first Reading Meet with an SVX in more than ten years. Damned shame... Oh well, there is still the Boxerfest Meet here in Maryland on Sunday, June 3, and the Tail of the Dragon, so I guess all is not lost. Svxcess, I realize this is not your doing, still disappointing.

Last edited by SvXit; 03-24-2018 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 05:10 PM
Member Incognito

Registered SVX

Not sure how many people will see this, but I had a thought: Why can the Reading Meet not take place at its normal time and place and the hill climb simply be branded as a separate meet? In the early days of the Yahoo club, we had several meets a year all over the country, not just the Reading meet. There was a Washington, D.C. meet, Vermont Fall Foliage, et al. Just thinking out loud to see if anyone else may not want to simply carry on with Reading and throw it together quickly, say for the end of April. It would mean that there are two separate meets, spaced apart by four months. Again, just thinking aloud....

Old 03-29-2018, 11:09 AM
Alcyone Gold Contributor

From wtb:

For anyone mildly interested in the Pagoda hillclimb, it is a truly cool event:
  • No admission
  • Wander around the staging area gawking at cars.
  • Wander over to the starting line and watch the launch and first hairpin turn.
  • Wander up the hill and watch a few more hairpins.
  • Take shuttle up to the Oh S**t corner and find out why it’s called that.(shuttle may have a fee.)
  • Take the shuttle to the top of the hill and watch them cross the finish line flat-out.

Last edited by svxcess; 03-29-2018 at 11:23 AM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: