How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 07-04-2001, 05:48 PM
Headed to Texas...

Question Racing Z24's?????

And the next question would be . . . WHY?

OK, so I was a young whippersnapper once, too . . . , but damn - I don't mean to sound like a snob - but ain't that kind of "beneath" us?
I mean, is it really going to make your night if you blow away a Z24? The SVX is NOT a "fast and furious" quarter mile drag car!

*sigh* . . . oh well, looks like it's past my bedtime . . .

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-04-2001, 07:43 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Re: Racing Z24's?????

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26

OK, so I was a young whippersnapper once, too . . . , but damn - I don't mean to sound like a snob - but ain't that kind of "beneath" us?
I mean, is it really going to make your night if you blow away a Z24? The SVX is NOT a "fast and furious" quarter mile drag car!

That's why I *try* not to post too much in the Mod section here. Seems like them guys want to turn a luxury touring car into a drag racer. It can probably be done, but it'd be very expensive and then you couldn't really enjoy the car for the purpose it was designed for. But if they have the money I guess it's up to them, but there are tons of cars that would be far less expensive to modify and get faster quarter mile times to boot.
Old 07-04-2001, 09:11 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10
Hobby

I bought this car because it is unique, luxurious, lower insurance than most other cars like it, and it gets good gas mileage...Plus, it has ALL WHEEL DRIVE for the snow. So, with that said...I'm not gonna change anything about any of that...I'm not gonna go rear wheel drive, I'm not gonna take out the leather seats to make it lighter, I'm not gonna supe it up so that it gets .5 MPG, but I'm also not gonna tell those who do that they're ruining the car. You may like a stock SVX, but I want an SVX with KC exhaust, cone intake, UR pulley, and all that. The reason I raced the Z24 was because "he started it" and I THOUGHT I'd kill him...put him in his place, show him how good our car is. But, It didn't work that way. Your'e right...I could buy a 1985 Plymouth Voyager Turbo and run the 1/4 in 11 seconds, but that's not what I'm after. So, please stop telling me that I'm ruining the car. When I come over to your garage and put s#!$ on your car that you don't want, then you can tell me that I'm ruining a luxury car, but untill then, I'm just having fun...it's my hobby. It's how I WANT to spend my money. And finally...I KNOW THE SVX. I have owned it for 2 years and I researched it for a year before that. I knew my tranny would probably fail, I knew my bearings might go bad, and I know that in the past I have mauled Camaros, Mustangs, Cavaliers, Maximas, Integras, Civics, and many others. I know that a rolling start is better in the SVX. I didn't come to y'all for help understanding the car, I came for suggestions on how to fix a somewhat obvious problem. I will humble myself here, though, I didn't realize that mid-grade could hurt my car like people are saying it will. SO, if you're gonna give me a lesson, give me a lesson on octane and combustion, not on the SVX. Hope I addressed everything. Oh...one more thing...Thanks for the suggestion, Sith. IT's nice to have somebody here telling me how to fix the actual fuel problem istead of telling me my problem is my attempt to modify the car.
Mat-1
P.S. I hope this post doesn't ruin my nice guy image, but I feel like an SVX kindergartener when I hear what I've been hearing.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 07-04-2001, 10:29 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
No comment

I do know what your car looks like. I even have pics of your car on my site. As long as you know the car, what can I say? You made a decision, it was a wrong one. SVX lost. I am sticking with Eddy's point on this one. There is not much you can change on the SVX.

If anyone want to change, why don't we just take the shell off and put it on a muscle car. Hack, it would still be an SVX on the outside ritght? Then go race.

I think I am having a bad day or guy version of PMS.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-04-2001, 10:38 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: No comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim
I think I am having a bad day or guy version of PMS.

Lwin

I think a little hormone therapy would do us all some good. Or maybe just some really good A/C.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 07-04-2001, 10:49 PM

Am I not gettin through

Quote:
You made a decision, it was a wrong one. SVX lost. I am sticking with Eddy's
That's what I'm getting at...it shouldn't have lost. The only reason, in my opinion, that it was the wrong choice, is because street racing is pretty dumb over all (even though I know this, I'm still dumb enough to do it occasionally). So, I think I'm gonna drop the whole race thing, cuz we just don't agree on that. About not being able to do anything with the SVX...I don't buy it. People want to have a kit for everything...not willing to investigate and be innovatvie (not everybody, but lots of us). I realize money is an issue, though. So, I guess it just depends upon your school of though. Like I already said (I think), I agree that slapping some muscle car engine in the SVX body is not the way to go, but I have made it a hobby to work on the SVX. Don't care what you think about that, cuz that's the way it is.
Mat-1
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 07-04-2001, 11:03 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: Racing Z24's?????

Quote:
Originally posted by svxxx26

Jerry, I know you're just a little older than I am ( ) so, I understand your "snobbishness." Actually, I'm not a "street racer," nor do I advocate trying to turn the SVX into a racer, but, I'll be damned if some Yah . . . . uh, creep is gonna rev their engine at me at a stoplight and not get what's coming to them, especially if they're stupid enough to do it in a Z24, or, even a Yugo for that matter. The other day, it was an RX7 convertible. The young fellow and I were casually going from stoplight to stoplight, when he made the mistake of squealing his tires off the line. He got ahead of me, but, then the power light "accidentally" came on. When I looked in my rearview, he was just smiling and shaking his head -- yes, it's fun sometimes, even for us old farts. No, I've given up on my true craziness, but, once in a great while, you just have to turn those ponies loose.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-04-2001, 11:18 PM

Smile So powerful

Man, aredub...you got a way with words that just soothes the soul I could picture the RX7, I could hear the tires squealin...it was beautiful
Mat-1

Old 07-05-2001, 12:43 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Re: Re: No comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

I think a little hormone therapy would do us all some good. Or maybe just some really good A/C.
Randy... I think the weather stripping would make it so nice right now.

I think i know why I am really bitter. I will post it on Eddy's forum later since it concerns the word master tech, although it has nothing to do with eddycat.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 07-05-2001, 05:59 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to LarryIII
Registered SVX
Everyone seems to be missing the point. It's not what you have in your SVX. It's what he had in the Cavalier. Unless you looked under his hood and inside his rear end (final drive ratio) you're just guessing. So stop beating up on yourself and the SVX.

Larry III
Old 07-05-2001, 08:29 AM
Lowered SVX

mat.....having a moment.....

if you knew all of the stuff i was posting (suggestions for your problem) then why in the hell didnt you stop me! you think i like posting tons of stuff experienced SVXers already know?? just kidding.....but you could have told me.

mat you will discover that there are some svx purists that just refuse to alter the svx. that is there business and i respect their opinions and perspectives. but it is a little annoying when they do not respect ours. i also know the svx is not an all out sports car. but it is fast and fun to drive, my mods are just enhancing those aspects of the car. i want it to handle a little better, i want it to be a little quicker, louder.....whatever. that doesnt mean i have to fundamentally alter what the svx is.....it just means i want to alter some components the svx has.

come on you older guys (excluding aredub), if guys back in the 50's had your attitude there would have been no street rods or even racing for that matter. the whole point is to take a car you really like and make it better or faster. no one that mods there svx wants a mustang, camaro, acura, or honda.....we love the svx! we want it to be faster and better.....get it?? not the fastest or the best just to raise its racing potential a little...what is the harm in that?

"rolling off ramped soapbox now, in a wheelchaired wheely"
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 07-05-2001, 08:46 AM

Registered SVX
Re: Re: Re: No comment

Quote:
Originally posted by Seraphim

Randy... I think the weather stripping would make it so nice right now.

I think i know why I am really bitter. I will post it on Eddy's forum later since it concerns the word master tech, although it has nothing to do with eddycat.

Lwin
'Nuff said Lwin. If that's the case, I'm glad you've been "holding back." I've dealt with "those" situations before and have not been half as nice. A little bitterness is understandable.

Meanwhile, I don't think my heart could take a weatherstripping install right now. Perhaps getting slapped in the face with a pair of dual hood scoops would invigorate me enough to prepare for that eventuality though.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 07-05-2001, 09:13 AM
Headed to Texas...

Re: mat.....having a moment.....

Quote:
Originally posted by 1994SubaruSVX

mat you will discover that there are some svx purists that just refuse to alter the svx. that is there business and i respect their opinions and perspectives. but it is a little annoying when they do not respect ours. i also know the svx is not an all out sports car. but it is fast and fun to drive, my mods are just enhancing those aspects of the car. i want it to handle a little better, i want it to be a little quicker, louder.....whatever. that doesnt mean i have to fundamentally alter what the svx is.....it just means i want to alter some components the svx has.

come on you older guys (excluding aredub), if guys back in the 50's had your attitude there would have been no street rods or even racing for that matter. the whole point is to take a car you really like and make it better or faster. no one that mods there svx wants a mustang, camaro, acura, or honda.....we love the svx! we want it to be faster and better.....get it?? not the fastest or the best just to raise its racing potential a little...what is the harm in that?

"rolling off ramped soapbox now, in a wheelchaired wheely"
Hey, I never said that I didn't respect your perspective on racing/modding the SVX. More power to you! And I would be lying if I said I never engaged in a stoplight dragrace from time to time!
"However" . . . the point that started all this was that Mat got beat by a Z24. Now to me, the Z24 is just a POS - that MIGHT be quicker than a particular SVX on a given day - and . . . so what?
It's still a POS!
The SVX seems to me like such a well balanced car - such a complete unit - that modding or enhancing one aspect will (to me) upset the balance and detract from the car as a whole. Faster does not always = better. Get it? You may be able to burn Z24's at will, but what do you give up in return? Louder car = headache to me!
But that's just me, just my opinion - and when I read posts about somebody blowing some other car in the weeds with their twin-turbo nitrous carbon-fiber hooded radically lowered SVX, I'm cheering!

(tripping unceremoniously off the soapbox)

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 07-05-2001, 10:20 AM
Ain't it the truth?

Send a message via Yahoo to SVXphile
Mods and Rods

<if guys back in the 50's had your attitude there would have been no street rods or even racing for that matter>

...an interesting point. Even today at car shows, you have the 1940 Ford that looks like it rolled off the showroom floor....and the 1940 Ford that has been chopped, channeled, lowered, etc. with a blown Hemi under the hood. The huge import racing trend is the 50's hot rod thing all over again, but it's overhead cams instead of overhead valves and FWD vs. RWD....

Since automobiles are extensions of our personalities, like at the car shows there will always be the "purists" and the "modifiers".
One may not always agree with the other, but it does provide variety.

P.S. Got passed by a "modified" Viper yesterday. I think it was a Hennessy (sp?). Bigger wing, HUGE fender extensions with tires to match, two huge silver stripes down the length. It absolutely THUNDERED as it went by....in the opposite direction unfortunately! Don
1 wife ("She, who must be obeyed..")

"One advantage of being disorderly is that one is constantly making exciting discoveries"
Old 07-05-2001, 11:38 AM
Lowered SVX

i bet the modded.....

viper was quite a site!! oh, by the way i love getting you older guys all worked up....you specifically randy!!

i agree on the z24 being a POS, there is no way even as bone stock svx should lose to that car.
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"