Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > US Regional Forums > Northeast Region
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2001, 04:01 PM
Green96LSI

New to Me '96 Lsi

I got the '96 LSi about ten days ago from a Dealer in Southern New Jersey. It was very original (Not even cleaned yet!), but needed rear brake pads, and I wanted the Timing Belt and accessory belts replaced. The tires were original, and well worn. I bargained the pads, belts and an Alternator into the deal, and bought a set of Dunlop Sp5000s from EuroTire. All fresh fluids, and she is running very well.

Its my daily commuter, and is a nice change from the SUV I was driving before.
Old 08-11-2001, 10:17 AM
Jerseydriver

New to you

Unbeleivable that you found one with such low milage.

I highly recommend switching to synthetic transmission fluid.

The tranny holds about 11 quarts all together (which is alot), but well worth it. It keeps things running cooler overall and with the track record on this transmission type you should do everything possible to keep it going.

Do you live on the lake or up in the hills?

GCT
Old 08-11-2001, 12:35 PM
Green96LSI

In the Hills

I did all synthetic. The tranny got a full change with Castrol Syntec at Avis Lube, and I did the Redline in the Diffs, and Mobil One in the Engine, and Mobil Synthetic ATF in the PS.

I've got a vibration and rumble which states at 75 and ends at 85. Odd, sometimes it isn't there.
Old 08-12-2001, 12:44 PM
Jerseydriver

Rumble!

Sorry to say that I think that rumble is one of the wheel bearings.

Very common problem on these cars.

Just had my rear left replaced.

If you just bought it from a dealer that should have been taken care of already since it was issued as a service bulliten.

Have it checked out
Old 11-02-2001, 02:12 PM
Green96LSI

JerseyDriver - Your car in the shop now?

I just dropped my SVX over to Wayne subaru and I saw an identical Polo Green SVX in the server area. Was it yours? Mine is in for a replacement transmission!
Old 11-02-2001, 03:22 PM
Jerseydriver

Not mine @ Wayne - Yet!

I am actually bringing my car in to Wayne tomorrow. Power streering went, I don't know whats wrong.

What happened that you need a new tranny?
Old 11-05-2001, 07:39 AM
Green96LSI

Three Polo Green SVX in the Dealer

I had my '96 Polo Green LSi at the Wayne Dealer, and saw two other Polo Green SVXs in for Repair. I'm in for a Transmission replacement. The thing started slipping badly when cold, and on hills and curves. Factory original warranty is covering the replacement!

Who has the other two? There license tags started with:

LUA (Mine)
KSP
LAL

Do these below to anybody here???
Old 11-05-2001, 07:58 AM
Jerseydriver

KSP is mine

I saw your car on Saturday when I was there.

How is it that you have coverage under the factory warranty on a used car?

What is covered?

Re: Smokerise - you know the house on the lake that is across from the island on the horse farm side? Thats me.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:24 PM
Green96LSI

Warranty Repair on used SVX

I checked on this prior to purchasing my SVX. The factory drivetrain warranty is goood for the period of the warranty (5/60), regardless of ownership. The Full Warranty requires a $35 transfer, and is only transferable once. My Drivetrain Warranty expires in Jan 2002 / or at 60K miles, which ever comes first.

I know there is black SVX on Gravel Hill Road. I'm on the end of Green Hill. We should take this offline and compare notes on the SVX.
Old 11-10-2001, 08:33 PM
Ruglet

Unhappy Going offline

Why are you going off line? I was enjoying your chat. I'm Mobil One in the tranny and the engine. Is there a benefit in the PS fluid? I did not think that ran as hot and perceived the big benefit of synthetic as standing up longer to higher temperatures.
Old 11-13-2001, 08:46 PM
george miller

new member in Pa

I am a new member and have had the pleasure of owning my 92 SVX for 135k and 1 rebuilt transmission.
I recently added a 97 SVX 26k to my garage for weekends. The toyota dealer was nice enough to change the oil (only 5 quarts) and give me a full tank of gas (regular) that sent the car shuddering all the way home. I have really enjoyed some of the posts and appreciate all the work building this site must have taken.
Old 11-14-2001, 03:56 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: new member in Pa

Quote:
Originally posted by george miller
I am a new member and have had the pleasure of owning my 92 SVX for 135k and 1 rebuilt transmission.
I recently added a 97 SVX 26k to my garage for weekends. The toyota dealer was nice enough to change the oil (only 5 quarts) and give me a full tank of gas (regular) that sent the car shuddering all the way home. I have really enjoyed some of the posts and appreciate all the work building this site must have taken.
George, Glad to have you as a member. Sorry about the dopey dealer. We seem to have a few of those.

How far are you from the Reading (Morgantown)? Be sure to sign up for the Reading meet, and bring both of your cars. We're trying to break the previous record of 25 cars at a meet. Your two would put us over. It's April 5-7 in Morgantown, PA. We'll be doing a covered bridge tour this year, so, it should be really neat! Please, come join us.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 11-19-2001, 01:47 PM
Ray Garrison

I'm a new member, live in western Connecticut. Just found this site. Anyone else from Connecticut around here?
Old 11-19-2001, 03:16 PM
Ruglet

Quote:
Anyone else from Connecticut around here?

Ray, I've got you in brackets. NYC when I have to work and Fishers Island (ferry from New London, CT) when I don't.

Speaking of audio, I had to replace the right door speaker in the SVX, I guess I pumped too much bass through it over 10 years.