Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-22-2002, 10:43 AM
sans SVX

Send a message via AIM to mbtoloczko
fixing body rust on an SVX...

Well, I must be the only person with an SVX that has body rust. :-( I just picked up an SVX from the PA area over the weekend, and when I got home and started washing the car, I found some body rust in the crease line on both the doors! So now I'm wondering how I should deal with it. The two options that readily come to mind are to either replace the doors (probably horribly expensive) or try to repair the damaged areas. Any thoughts from people?

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-22-2002, 11:49 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
I have rust too.

Which crease are you talking about? Where the lower panel attaches to the door?

The best way to fix rust (surface only, not holes) is to sandblast the area until all rust is gone, tap it down slightly with a pick hammer, coat it well with epoxy primer, fill divits with filler or good primer if mild enough, then seal it with another coat of epoxy, then paint.

Post a close up of the spots and I can tell you what the best way to deal with it is.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker
Old 10-22-2002, 12:08 PM
sans SVX

Yes, its in the crease area where the lower panel contacts contacts the door. On both doors there is a section about 1.5 inches in length where the paint is bubbling up in the crease. I'll post some pictures in my locker this evening. (Digital cameras are great!) Thanks!

Visit my locker

SVX Mods: ND iridium spark plugs, Impreza RS fpr, afr tuned to 13.2:1 using a custom MAF bypass, custom exhaust, WRX 5MT w/ STi RA 1st-4th gear & stock WRX 5th gear, Exedy 13 lb flywheel & Sport Clutch, STi Group N tranny & engine mounts, urethane spacers in rear subframe, rear diff mounts, and pitch stopper, SVX Sport Strut Springs (185f/150r), custom 19 mm rear swaybar, urethane swaybar mounts, Rota Torque 17x8", 225/45-17 Proxes 4 tires, Axxis Deluxe Plus organic brake pads.
Old 10-22-2002, 12:38 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: fixing body rust on an SVX...

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko
Well, I must be the only person with an SVX that has body rust. :-( I just picked up an SVX from the PA area over the weekend, and when I got home and started washing the car, I found some body rust in the crease line on both the doors! So now I'm wondering how I should deal with it. The two options that readily come to mind are to either replace the doors (probably horribly expensive) or try to repair the damaged areas. Any thoughts from people?
You're not the only one, but pretty close. I have a little bit of rust on the right quarter panel. The paint is just bubbling up. But I know that the previous owner had a few accidents, so that's likely what compromised the rustproofing.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 10-22-2002, 07:49 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mohrds
I have rust too.

Post a close up of the spots and I can tell you what the best way to deal with it is.

Doug
A few pictures are now in my personal locker. Thanks!

Visit my locker

Old 10-22-2002, 08:04 PM
Green1995SVX

That's really weird. I would bet that theres quite a bit more rust under that cladding.

Mike
Old 10-22-2002, 08:05 PM
Green1995SVX

Glad to see you got the car OK. How was your stay in Pittsburgh? Sorry I couldnt meet up with you.

Mike
Old 10-22-2002, 08:33 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Glad to see you got the car OK. How was your stay in Pittsburgh? Sorry I couldnt meet up with you.

Mike
I thought Pittsburgh was a great place. I got a quick tour from my friend's parents who live out there, and I was very impressed with the variety of restaurants, shopping, and architecture in the town. On the drive back to WA, I listened to "The Killer Angels" in book on CD format. If I'd had more time and thought about the fact that I would be listening to it, I would have made a detour to check out Gettysburg before heading home.

Visit my locker

Old 10-22-2002, 08:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by mbtoloczko

I thought Pittsburgh was a great place. I got a quick tour from my friend's parents who live out there, and I was very impressed with the variety of restaurants, shopping, and architecture in the town. On the drive back to WA, I listened to "The Killer Angels" in book on CD format. If I'd had more time and thought about the fact that I would be listening to it, I would have made a detour to check out Gettysburg before heading home.
Pittsburgh is a really neat place to live. It's a very artsy, clean city with fabulous dining and shopping (as you mentioned).

Gettysburg is a really great place to tour. Especially at this time of year. Lots of interesting history there.

Mike
Old 10-24-2002, 08:57 AM

Registered SVX
That's really weird. But I suspect that the car has been repainted - if I remember correctly, Laguna Blue wasn't a metallic color.

Anybody?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-24-2002, 10:23 AM
Green1995SVX

It is a metallic color... it's actually called 'laguna pearl'

Mike
Old 10-24-2002, 02:00 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
It is a metallic color... it's actually called 'laguna pearl'

Mike
Okay. Maybe the laguna blues I've seen were all just really dirty.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback

END OF LINE
Old 10-24-2002, 05:43 PM
sans SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Pockets
That's really weird. But I suspect that the car has been repainted - if I remember correctly, Laguna Blue wasn't a metallic color.

Anybody?
If its been repainted, they stripped off everything before doing it; there's no evidence of the paint stopping at the rubber trim. And its the same color blue everywhere including in the door jam, on hinges, etc.

Visit my locker