How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-12-2002, 05:02 PM
$VX

Technically....

Just outta curiousity... if you were to say LIMP your SVX witha bad tranny over to a parking lot somewhere, and a company towed it, you could blame THEM for the transmission failure right?

Just wondering.

http://www.ten-online.com/phpbb/imag...s/sasmokin.gif
Old 10-12-2002, 11:15 PM

Are you not supposed to tow an all wheel drive with the back wheels on the ground?
Even when my car's in park, I'm able to turn the back wheels by hand if it's jacked up. Given this, I'd assume the answer to you're question is no. But then again, I don't know s**t about cars.
Old 10-13-2002, 12:12 AM

Nevermind. I read the towed SVX post. But why would mu back wheels turn when in park?
Old 10-13-2002, 05:32 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Nevermind. I read the towed SVX post. But why would mu back wheels turn when in park?
The parking pawl acts on the transfer gears, to the front wheels. With the engine off, the transfer clutch is open, so no link to the back wheels.
This is only on the US model, the other version has the parking pawl acting on all wheels.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-13-2002, 10:43 PM

Thanks Harvey. If all SVXs were manufactured in Japan, I wonder why such a difference between European/Asian and US models exists. My first assumption would be that certain automotive standards are required in the particular country the car resides in.

Last edited by DavieGravy; 10-14-2002 at 12:40 AM.
Old 10-14-2002, 01:27 AM

Registered SVX
Curiousity ?$

Outta curIousity Ca$h is working on a prospective tranny insurance policy here in line with his declared social policy.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-14-2002, 09:48 AM
$VX

Just wondering in case my tranny ever goes out. >:D

- Ca$h
Old 10-14-2002, 05:53 PM
Subaru Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by DavieGravy
Thanks Harvey. If all SVXs were manufactured in Japan, I wonder why such a difference between European/Asian and US models exists. My first assumption would be that certain automotive standards are required in the particular country the car resides in.
Dave the way I see it is that in the early 90s the US being addicted to rear wheel drive cars, did not have four wheel dynos, like the rest of the world.

The center diff version can not be run on a two wheel dyno as you can not disconnect one half of the drive.

So in their wisdom, they decided to use a front wheel drive transmission and weld a multi plate clutch, to the back of the transfer gears to drive the back wheels. This way they can turn off the clutch with the fuse, to have only the front wheels driving.

That cured the problem, But at the loss of the real AWD action. The US model, when driving down the road has 90 % of the drive going to the front wheels, 10% to the back, if the front wheels slip then more torque is applied to the back till it reaches a 50/50 split. Basically a front wheel drive car with rear wheel assist.

The other version drives with 36% of the torque going to the front wheels and 64% going to the back wheels. If either front or rear wheels slip the torque is brought up to 50/50. Basically a rear wheel drive with front assist.

It is a shame that they took that course, as they removed the heart, from the sure footed handling of the car.

Harvey.

95 Lsi. Bordeaux Pearl, Aust. RHD.149,000Kls Subaru BBS wheels.
97 Liberty GX Auto sedan. 320,000Kls.
04 Liberty 30R Auto Premium. 92.000kls.
Old 10-14-2002, 07:03 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
Just wondering in case my tranny ever goes out. >

- Ca$h
You should not be in the SVX if you can not afford a tranny . Just my 2 cents for the night. It will save a lot more headaches later. And most tow-truck people will not tow your car. They will always charge you extra and flat-bed the subarus. They've learnt from mistakes.

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-14-2002, 07:14 PM
Hater

i've always requested a flat-bed whenever i needed a tow from AAA and it was no extra cost.

1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
1997 SVX LSi (Ebony) SOLD!
2005 Legacy GT (Silver) [Cobb Stg 2+] SOLD!
1987 928 S4 (Black) SOLD!
2005 Forester XT Premium (Crystal Gray Metallic) SOLD!
2008 Lancer Evolution X MR (Apex Silver) [Cobb Stg 1+]
2015 Outlander Sport 2.4GT AWD (Mercury Gray)
2013 G37xS (Obsidian Black)
Old 10-15-2002, 09:28 AM
$VX

I can afford another tranny. I just don't want to pay for one. :P But in any case, this one should last another 50-70k before it goes out.

- Ca$h
Old 10-15-2002, 10:00 AM
Got Dirt?

Quote:
Originally posted by $VX
I can afford another tranny. I just don't want to pay for one. :P But in any case, this one should last another 50-70k before it goes out.

- Ca$h
Well, if you don't want to pay for one, the proper thing to do would be to con an innocent company into paying to replace your already broken transmission. Great idea. You are a man of high integrity and I respect that.
1992 SVX LS-L (#645 - 04/91) 164K miles - sold.
Old 10-15-2002, 10:10 AM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by $VX

- Ca$h
I don't want to pay for my SVX right now and I don't want to pay for the VDC I am eyeing and 2 other SVXes I am looking at either. So how can I get them for free?
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 10-15-2002, 11:04 AM
$VX

Quote:
Originally posted by rally

Well, if you don't want to pay for one, the proper thing to do would be to con an innocent company into paying to replace your already broken transmission. Great idea. You are a man of high integrity and I respect that.
Madisons lovely towing company towed my neon this summer about..oh... 30 ft. Not even a block. Not even half a block. Just from one street corner to another. Why? Tree work. Cost to me? Over 150 dollars. Yes. 150 dollars for less than 30 ft.

f*ck towing companies.

- Ca$h

PS: Lwin-eh... i dunno.
Old 10-15-2002, 11:34 AM
Fight Eminent Domain Abuse!

Send a message via AIM to mohrds Send a message via Yahoo to mohrds
<<Madisons lovely towing company towed my neon this summer about..oh... 30 ft. Not even a block. Not even half a block. Just from one street corner to another. Why? Tree work. Cost to me? Over 150 dollars. Yes. 150 dollars for less than 30 ft.>>

Hmmm... that doesn't seem like a complete story. Unless Madison Dept of Public works runs things differently than they do in Milwaukee (or any other city I've lived in), there will be police no parking signs posted when tree trimming is planned minimum of twelve hours in advance. If you choose to park there, you are costing the taxpayers money in the tree crew waiting around for a tow truck to move your car, plus the tow company had to dispatch someone, fill out a butt-load of paperwork and physically hook up your car. $150 sounds like a deal to me. If I was in charge, I would have thrown in a $5,000 fine for not obeying police orders.

If it wasn't a scheduled trim, then it must have been an emergency situation in which case, you shouldn't have had to pay.

Around here, we get people who don't move their cars during snow emergency so they get towed. Last year Milwaukee Dept of Public Works towed over 2500 cars. The impound lot looks like an airport parking lot. They b*tch about being towed, but then they also b*tch about not having a clean street. They can't seem to figure out that if they have to wait until the street is towed clean to plow, less plowing gets done. I can't figure them out.

Doug
Black over Claret with 2.5" setback spoiler; 202,000 miles; Mods: B&M Cooler
1994 LSi (4/93)
Bordeaux Pearl; 198,000 miles; Mods: Weight reduction.

1969 Mustang GT Convertible
1970 Mustang Convertible
2000 Ford Excursion
Sola lingua bona est lingua mortua.

My Locker