How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-09-2002, 04:56 PM
Green1995SVX

Radiator Install

Can someone give me a How-to or some tips in replacing the radiator in a 92? Chris and I will be doing his this weekend, and neither of us have any idea what we're getting into.

Mike
Old 10-09-2002, 05:03 PM

It's been a while, but all I remember was take off the coolant hoses and tranny cooler hoses, pull the wires to the fans, undo the two bolts on top and pull up. make sure you have something to catch all the mess (water/antifreeze) and ATF.
Old 10-09-2002, 05:32 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yes, its that simple. I only add that you put new hoses on when you change it and also before you change it flush all the junk out of the system while the old one is in. You can do this a couple ways - buy a kit to splice a T-fitting into a heater core hose and attach a garden hose and flush away (prestone makes these and you can find them at walmart or auto parts stores), or drain radiator, fill with water, run car, drain radiator, fill up again, run car. They also sell little jugs of some kind of flushing chemical but I have never tried one. Maybe someone else can offer advice there. It would be a good idea to do it before you put in a nice new radiator and fill it with 10 years of old sludge buildup.

If you are still using the stock tranny heater make sure you label the hoses before taking them off.

Refilling the new radiator - I usually get an empty gallon jug and put water in it about 2/3 full (or whatever you need for your cold as hell town - maybe 50/50 mix) and fill the rest with antifreeze then use that to fill the radiator - makes it easy to get the correct water to coolant ratio

It will take a while filling it as all the air has to escape from the system. Put a rag around the filler neck so you don't spill green gunk all over your shiny new radiator.

You will need to run the car up to operating temp and then run the heat full blast and then let it cool down again and top off the radiator to get all of the air out of the system.
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-09-2002, 07:47 PM

Send a message via AIM to SVXMAN2001
so immortal suby affter I drain the the old radiator I should fill it back up with water? and flush it out? do I turn the car on with the old radiator full of water? And where exaclty am I putting this water in the coolant reservior or the actual radiator? What about when putting the fluid in the new radiator? Do I put all in the radiator itself or divide it between the radiator and the coolant reservoir. Thanks in advance, chris

chris
Old 10-10-2002, 10:24 AM
Green1995SVX

anyone?
Old 10-10-2002, 11:58 AM

Talking

I guess I don't understand the questions about the old radiator???

After installing the new radiator fill the radiator all the way with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water. Fill the resevoir to the appropriate amount and start the car. Turn the climate control to max temp and keep a close eye on the radiator level. Top it off as needed with your 50/50 mix. Make sure you add at least as much antifreeze as came out....if you can't get it all in you may have air in the system. I can't remember without looking but there may be a bleeder in the system....????getting old, cant remember.

When the car is fully warmed and the level is topped off, then you are done!

Hope this helps.

I feel a lot more like I do now then I did before.

92 SVX 5spd, (sold),92 SVX Teal, 67 Mustang 351C 5spd, 00 Galant.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:33 PM
Have a poncho I can borrow?

Old radiator

I'm guessing its cracked up top? What'cha gonna do with it? If your gonna trash it I'll take it. Maybe I can come up with a crack solution.
Old 10-10-2002, 01:35 PM
$VX

A solution for crack? Its called rehab. :P

- Ca$h
Old 10-10-2002, 02:20 PM

Just a comment regarding the proper solution procedure. If the cooling system is flushed with a kit and water, disconnecting the bottom radiator hose will not drain all the water. At least that has been my experience with other cars. I usually found out what the system capacity is, calculated what 60% of that is, and poured that amount of antifreeze into it. After connecting all the hoses that is.

I then topped off with water and added 60% mixture to the reservoir.
98 Outback 180k
98 Dodge Durango 120k Ski Bus
A multitude of skis to feed my need to go faster, faster until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:13 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by SVXMAN2001
so immortal suby affter I drain the the old radiator I should fill it back up with water? and flush it out?
>>Yes
do I turn the car on with the old radiator full of water?
>>Yes
And where exaclty am I putting this water in the coolant reservior or the actual radiator?
>>The radiator
What about when putting the fluid in the new radiator? Do I put all in the radiator itself or divide it between the radiator and the coolant reservoir. Thanks in advance, chris
Both - like Auto Tchr describes.
chris
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-10-2002, 04:36 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Old radiator

Quote:
Originally posted by benebob
I'm guessing its cracked up top? What'cha gonna do with it? If your gonna trash it I'll take it. Maybe I can come up with a crack solution.
Ben, if Chris is trashing it, I'll just bring it back with me and give it to you when im home for thanksgiving.

Mike