How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 06-13-2001, 04:18 PM
Green1995SVX

Question Why should i keep my SVX?

I've had my 1995 SVX-L since mid feb. and ive put quite a bit of money into it with repairs. Just about everything that we know goes wrong with the SVX has gone wrong with mine since i bought it. I think ive learned a lesson out of all this. I went to the subaru dealer to look at a legacy GT, and i saw this half windowed beauty sitting there and fell in love. I had to have THIS car. I couldnt wait till i could find an LSi. So now i have a car that I love, dont get me wrong. Its just not exactly what i wanted. Im really thinking about trading it on something more relaible. Basically what im looking for here is for you guys to help me justify keeping this car or maybe someone can make a suggestion as to what i can do.

PS- Anyone really like cloth interior? I'll trade

-
Mike
'95 SVX-L AWD
Old 06-13-2001, 04:24 PM
zsvx

Re: Why should i keep my SVX?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Basically what im looking for here is for you guys to help me justify keeping this car or maybe someone can make a suggestion as to what i can do.
The fact that its an SVX is reason enough for me. Unfortunately these cars have their fair share of problems so if money is tight owning an SVX is not always the best idea. I'm one of those people who would probably resort to selling drugs before giving up my SVX though

No offense to any drug dealers
Old 06-13-2001, 04:40 PM
I look like Gordon

Buy a beater and keep the SVX. I got a little 1.8 liter 95 Impreza that gets good mileage, is cheap to insure, and is actually way more fun to drive than a car so "acceleratively challenged" should be. Then you can keep the SVX all nice and shiny in the garage for those "special" occasions...like the high speed snowy-night beer run

Note: Rufus does not advocate driving fast, recklessly, etc. Nor does he condone drinking and driving, drinking period, or anything else naughty...

I like the way the cloth seats look (but don't want to trade), and if you don't have the sunroof, I love that overhead trim piece that extends into the back seat- very cool.
Old 06-13-2001, 05:43 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: Why should i keep my SVX?

Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
Basically what im looking for here is for you guys to help me justify keeping this car or maybe someone can make a suggestion as to what i can do.
Get your hands on a beater car. My SVX has proved to be VERY reliable, but I really do want a car I can commute with and use in winter (what bitter irony that the car I WANT to drive in the snow is the one I also want to preserve).

As for a beater, an Impreza is a good idea. I'm also really partial to the Camry. No, it's not an exciting car by ANY means, but you won't find a more reliable car.

Anyway, stick with it. The SVX is worth the trouble. Take care of it, don't thrash it and you'll enjoy long periods of trouble-free running.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 06-14-2001, 01:10 AM
Founder / Administrator

Send a message via ICQ to Chris
Same here

I am planning to get a beater car too for similar reasons. What I really plan on doin gid driving the beater as my daily driver for a bit while I restore my SVX. You know, new paint, rotors, rims, carpet, leather, new engine gaskets and such, etc....
Will probably be a year long project, but I will sure love it when its done and looking good again!

Chris
Old 06-14-2001, 01:30 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
"Food" for thought

I liken this situation to walking into one of *those* restaurants with no prices on the menu. You know what they say, "If you have to ask . . ."

(Actually, your reason to keep it was sustained in the look on your face and the excitement in your voice at the Reading meet, when we stopped at the park and you got out of the car, with your camera and said, "This is Heaven!" -- BTW, do you still have the 100MPH video clip? I lost mine in a HDD crash and would like to download it again. )
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI

Last edited by Aredubjay; 06-14-2001 at 01:33 AM.
Old 06-14-2001, 07:25 AM
Lowered SVX

the svx is reliable.

once you have either dealt with or addressed the problems with the svx it is reliable. i replaced the tranny, the rear wheel bearings, and the alternator. once all that was replaced i really have not had any other major problems. just minor stuff that any car would go through. add a tranny cooler, do the alternator mod, and instruct you mechanic on how to do the rear bearing install and everything should be good. i honestly thing that beyond the above mentioned problems the car is a rock. the tranny is a major component but i am sure the cooler will help and if i get another 70,000 - 100,000 miles out of my new tranny then i am a happy man. keep the car, how can you even think of getting rid of it!!!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-14-2001, 08:04 AM
Either committed, or should be

Send a message via ICQ to thumper_svx Send a message via Yahoo to thumper_svx
Registered SVX
Cool Funny...

I used to own a green 1995 SVX L as well... coincidence? Yeah, probably! Anyway... yes the cars DO have problems... but realistically no more than any other car of the same era. The only issue I've bought to-date with it is that parts and repairs are often needlessly expensive.

I'll join the crowd here and say "BUY A BEATER!" I just recently bought a 1985 Pontiac Fiero (though the VIN says it's an '84... I think it's a mutt) as my beater car. It's not as pretty as the SVX... it doesn't ride as nice as the SVX... but it's a great little vehicle for work, especially in those tight underground parking lots at office buildings. Being a consultant I have to park in those a LOT and despite the tight turning radius of the SVX I HATE driving it in those things! Plus I figure the Fiero will be a good little project car; the engine has recently been rebuilt (V6), so it's good for a while... the AC doesn't work (yet) and it has its fair share of 'quirks' but parts are cheap and 90% of the work I can do myself. Simple, fun and effective.

Yeah, I kinda seem to support the underdog a lot don't I?
Old 06-14-2001, 09:10 AM
I look like Gordon

I test drove one of the last generation Fiero GTs, with the redesigned suspension. It was a blast to drive, and for my personal tastes, probably the closest thing to a real sports car ever made by the Big Three (at least during my lifetime). That car with the high output Quad 4 or maybe even the 24 valve 6 would have been something...
Old 06-14-2001, 10:58 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by rufus
I test drove one of the last generation Fiero GTs, with the redesigned suspension. It was a blast to drive, and for my personal tastes, probably the closest thing to a real sports car ever made by the Big Three (at least during my lifetime). That car with the high output Quad 4 or maybe even the 24 valve 6 would have been something...
Sorry to butt in here guys...but having worked at a pontiac dealership in the good old Fiero days....bwahhhaaahaaa. They were the absolute biggest fiasco I've ever seen! (sorry, I realize you bought one as a beater, and that's just what they were) They had so many recalls one tech could do recalls on them for days and stay busy! The final blow came when they contacted all the people that had bought them new and offered them huge, and I mean *HUGE* incentives to trade them back in! You don't have to worry about lemon laws with used cars. Our parts manager bought one and he got that offer and got a trans am for less money than he paid for the fiero...he was a happy camper!
Old 06-14-2001, 11:05 AM
Vern!

Like any exotic/near exotic, when properly maintained the car will be dreamy.

If the previous owner ignored maintenance, then watch out-- it will take buckets of money to undo the damage that years of neglect have done.

I'm especially suspicious of SVXs that are put up for sale right around the 60,000 mile mark-- if they are too cheap to do a simple timing belt/plug change, what are the odds the oil/transmission fluid was changed on a regular basis?
Old 06-14-2001, 12:07 PM
Multiple Suby Owner

Smile Lucked out

I must have got real lucky with my 92. Other than a few small things, I have not had any problems. I know now that with that statement, things will start going wrong. I am sure
it all has to do with how the car was taken care of by the previous owner. If you have already fixed most of your problems,why not stick it out a little longer. Maybe the worst is behind you.
Old 06-14-2001, 12:10 PM
Lowered SVX

you nailed it vern.

you know if everything that typical goes wrong with svxes does actually go wrong you are really only going to be out somewhere around $5000 at the most. then you basically got a new car again. i figure most people pay between $8000-15000 for an svx depending on the year. hell that is $13000-20000 for a bad ass car that is rock solid and will last you years to come! go try and buy any other sports car with the allure of the svx for that kind of money. well worth it to me.....but i love my svx!
1994 SVX, true dual Magnaflow exhaust, K&N filter, 17" Enkei RS6 wheels, Bridgestone Potenza RE730 225/45/17 rubber, zinc plated cross-drilled rotors with yellow painted brake calipers. B&M tranny cooler rated at 19,000 GVW. GC springs and Koni strut inserts installed and the car is lowered two inches all the way around!!
"Too much fun to drive!"
Old 06-14-2001, 01:27 PM
Green1995SVX

The 100mph vid is available in windows media streaming at my website. http://www.harmonyinmotion.com

If anyones interested i captured the SVX scene out of loaded weapon. theres an mpeg of it http://members.aol.com/emeraldsvxtc/svxscene.mpg

ok happy viewing

-Mike
Old 06-14-2001, 01:35 PM
Lowered SVX

just my luck.....

i got the video but apparently my computer hear at work is not equipped with sound! oh well it was a nice clip.
"Too much fun to drive!"