Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Supercharged Projects

Old 09-11-2012, 08:20 PM

Supercharged Timing Maps

Was just wondering if anyone has the supercharged timing map out of LAN's setup? Also the stock timing map would be good. Doing some research for Tony's supercharger setup and would like to get an idea of what's been done and what the start base was.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:31 PM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Supercharged Timing Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazza View Post
Was just wondering if anyone has the supercharged timing map out of LAN's setup? Also the stock timing map would be good. Doing some research for Tony's supercharger setup and would like to get an idea of what's been done and what the start base was.
Ummm, it's crap. There's a reason why YT went with the Hydra. IIRC, he gained something like 75 whp when he ditched the Ecutune and went with a basic street tune on the hydra.

Also, I don't believe anyone other than Mike CG actually has run the Ecutune software beyond testing. I believe there were 6 kits made/sold.
Desertrunner-not installed
YT-sold to letitsnow, then Somethingelse-running Hydra
Sicksubie-car parted and supercharger setup sold-build engine running Hydra
jsvxstyle-Had it installed with ecutune software, currently for sale without the eprom which seems he may be staying forced induction since he is keeping the ecu...
MikeCG-ecutune software and installed but hasn't done almost anything with it since initial testing. Since then, he moved and hasn't done anything with it. He was looking to sell the car about a year ago
LAN/Mike-installed and obviously running ecutune software. I can't remember if he sold the kit or still has it. He's probably the only one who knows the maps.

Sorry for not being technical like you're looking for. Just giving the info that I can

Last edited by 1986nate; 09-11-2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 10:38 PM

Interesting, DesertRunner (Tony) is the one I was talking about above and that will be installed one day soon. Anyone even got a supercharged dyno chart handy?

Or even what the stock ECU runs timing wise from WOT, 3500 - redline?
Old 09-11-2012, 10:54 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Interesting, DesertRunner (Tony) is the one I was talking about above and that will be installed one day soon. Anyone even got a supercharged dyno chart handy?

Or even what the stock ECU runs timing wise from WOT, 3500 - redline?
Yes, I knew you were referring to Tony

I'll try to dig back through to find the charts from the initial dyno pulls. IIRC, only YT's and MikeCG's cars were every run on a dyno. I think the best one using the ecutune program was 276whp.

I'll come back and edit this post once I find it. (Shouldn't take too long)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mikecg|39873

If I remember right, the 12psi sheets are from YT's car (before hydra) and the 9psi sheets were from Mike CG's car. YT was hitting detonation at 12psi. Also, Tom blew a couple of engines running 12psi. Ringlands on #5 are the first to go

Last edited by 1986nate; 09-11-2012 at 11:18 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
Yes, I knew you were referring to Tony

I'll try to dig back through to find the charts from the initial dyno pulls. IIRC, only YT's and MikeCG's cars were every run on a dyno. I think the best one using the ecutune program was 276whp.

I'll come back and edit this post once I find it. (Shouldn't take too long)

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?mikecg|39873

If I remember right, the 12psi sheets are from YT's car (before hydra) and the 9psi sheets were from Mike CG's car. YT's exhaust was restrictive at the time of the dynos I believe. Also, it was found that 12psi on a stock block was too much and Tom blew a couple of engines.
When the engine blew - big end or piston ring? Thanks for the info mate

Tony, this is why I said turbo's are a far better option powerwise - although ease of install for turbo sucks!! For interest sake, 12psi GT35R turbo is about 400 hp atw up top, supercharger seems to be about 250 hp atw. At 2500 rpm they're at 130 hp @ 3-4 psi... 30 horses more than the supercharger. I don't have a dyno showing anything under 2500 rpm - maybe this is where the supercharger might be better?!

Last edited by bazza; 09-11-2012 at 11:27 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:35 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
When the engine blew - big end or piston ring? Thanks for the info mate

Tony, this is why I said turbo's are a far better option powerwise - although ease of install for turbo sucks!! For interest sake, 12psi GT35R turbo is about 400 hp atw up top, supercharger seems to be about 250 hp atw. At 2500 rpm they're at 130 hp @ 3-4 psi... 30 horses more than the supercharger. I don't have a dyno showing anything under 2500 rpm - maybe this is where the supercharger might be better?!
I edited my previous post another time. Ringlands on #5 were the problem. A lot of it had to do with the tune however 12psi did prove to be the limits of a stock engine. Tom's car was able to do a 1/4 mile in 12.99 on 9psi on the hydra. He never dyno'd the car after switching to the hydra. This was on a stock 200k+mile engine as were the other engines he "blew up". After that, he went to the 12psi pulley with meth injection as well as making his own custom manifold. The Ecutune manifold is nice for the fact that it can (barely) fit under the stock hood, and keeps everything else (minus the alternator) in stock locations. But I know that Tom's ecutune manifold "leaked" and the design is definitely not the best for proper air flow.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:44 PM

Registered SVX

ecutune run

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vI6y...02612B99657C62

hydra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wMeD...02612B99657C62
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I edited my previous post another time. Ringlands on #5 were the problem. A lot of it had to do with the tune however 12psi did prove to be the limits of a stock engine. Tom's car was able to do a 1/4 mile in 12.99 on 9psi on the hydra. He never dyno'd the car after switching to the hydra. This was on a stock 200k+mile engine as were the other engines he "blew up". After that, he went to the 12psi pulley with meth injection as well as making his own custom manifold. The Ecutune manifold is nice for the fact that it can (barely) fit under the stock hood, and keeps everything else (minus the alternator) in stock locations. But I know that Tom's ecutune manifold "leaked" and the design is definitely not the best for proper air flow.
Ringlands - interesting. I'm really keen to see the turbo map vs the super map. I know my timing is about half the stock NA EZ30D type timing.

You don't know car weight and mph? Can use that to determine peak power quite easily.
Old 09-11-2012, 11:52 PM

Ah nice.

So 106 mph with 3750 lbs (am I close?) = 340 bhp or 255 hp atw. Is that close to what he expected to dyno?
Old 09-11-2012, 11:55 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Ringlands - interesting. I'm really keen to see the turbo map vs the super map. I know my timing is about half the stock NA EZ30D type timing.

You don't know car weight and mph? Can use that to determine peak power quite easily.
The car was mostly stock as far as interior and anything else. So your guess of 3750 lbs is probably pretty close. I may be wrong, but he was expecting it to be fairly close to 300hp on the 9psi and over the 300whp mark on the 12psi w/meth injection. Hopefully he'll come on here and take notice and give more insight. I'll try to direct him over here.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:43 AM

Registered SVX

Stock maps (zip files) can be down loaded from Phils' page (all markets):

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/download.html

Tapani
Old 09-12-2012, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tapani View Post
Stock maps (zip files) can be down loaded from Phils' page (all markets):

http://www.alcyone.org.uk/ssm/download.html

Tapani
Thanks mate - awesome link. Quick one, what is WOT full load? Ie what do you guys see? 41? 44? 48?

Now a question for maybe those in the know -if supercharger bolted on you'd be hitting the last column of load - 64. Say 3200 rpm, 18+6 = 24. For turbocharged at the same point... I'd want to see about 10-12 degrees removed (12-14 max as the torque comes on) even with E85. Is that about the timing Mike removed in his tunes and or did he scale his load columns accordingly for the new max load the super charger would give? Very interesting stuff though - thanks all thus far.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: