Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Wanted or For Sale > SVX's and SVX Parts For Sale > SVX Parts For Sale

Old 10-16-2011, 11:55 AM
Subaru Silver Contributor

Registered SVX
Blue and Bronze tint windshields for sale w/molding intact

I have 2 windshields in great shape with the moldings/seals intact. (1 has a spot where the wire cut in slightly)

Blue

Bronze

Taking offers on these. I can deliver all over the east coast (midwest, northeast, southeast) within the next 4 months and west coast next summer. I can hold onto them ONLY if a non refundable deposit is put down on them. (terms, etc can be figured out via PM)
Old 10-17-2011, 06:00 PM

Re: Blue and Bronze tint windshields for sale w/molding intact

Would you mind sharing your technique for removal-- maybe on the technical forum? Is it a 1-person or 2-person job? I've attempted to remove a couple at the junkyard using various methods and always end up breaking them.

davew833@yahoo.com

Former 6-time SVX owner
Old 10-17-2011, 07:27 PM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by davew833 View Post
Would you mind sharing your technique for removal-- maybe on the technical forum? Is it a 1-person or 2-person job? I've attempted to remove a couple at the junkyard using various methods and always end up breaking them.

I've been using glass cutout wire. I get it for about $4 shipped for a 75ft roll and have learned it's best not to worry about using too much and ordered 3 rolls last time. I have done it by myself with one, but it is easier with 2 people. I've never had an issue of even thinking the glass could have a chance at breaking/cracking doing it this way. A cold knife is better for one person but I've heard of a lot of people breaking/cracking windshields with them, especially unexperienced people such as myself. I literally d how to do it, bought wire and started trying it. I've pulled many side fixed windows from parts cars, 3 back glasses from parts cars and 2 windshields from junkyards with this method. Never one crack, and can fairly easily ensure the molding does not get damaged.
I start on both sides (at the same time with one person on each side) with the wire between the a-pillar and glass(Typically use a pocket knife or steak knife to "cut" through the glue to make room to slide the wire in), inside the car and between the other A pillar and glass. Work it up somewhat close to the top, then back down to the bottom, then start working it around one corner at a time at the bottom (can do both corners on a very sunny/warm day) and eventually get the bottom clean cut. Then I work at the top with one end inside the car and the other outside the car. I start at either A pillar and slowly and carefully work around the corner. Once up to the top, it becomes a piece of cake. I usually keep a knife or screwdriver between the wire and the molding where it meets the roof to prevent any cutting or wear on that molding.

It isn't the fastest way, but it's the way I feel the most comfortable doing. I may have to ask a couple people I know that were formally in the windshield business for some tricks and faster ways.
Old 10-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Registered SVX

I'd like to add that more than likely, if these do not have a deposit on them by mid-Nov, I will probably end up keeping them. I'm looking to raise some money at the moment. If you are able to pay in full within the next 2 weeks, I would let them go at a lower price than what I'd normally demand for them.(this includes the couple of people who PMed me about them) We can go about doing a sales invoice through paypal, or any other type of invoice if you are somewhere where I will be traveling but not for a few months so that you have receipt in case you are afraid I won't follow through for some reason.

(I'd rather not ship them as there is just too large a chance of damage and feel more comfortable with delivering them in person)
Old 10-18-2011, 03:40 PM

Registered SVX

Piano wire, vise grips on one end of the spool, wood dowel on the other end. Wire gets very hot, and worn out with cutting, so keep using new section of wire to prevent breaking wire due to heat, pull new through using vice grips, then re roll the wood dowel.

2 people is necessary.

be careful to not cut through the headliner, the angle of wire can catch easy if you are not paying attention.

cake.
wear gloves and safety glasses. gloves to keep sharp metal from the piano wire to get you

glass at most junkyards cost between 40-60 bucks. cheap replacement, then all you need is new windshield sealant rope to install.
97 SVX Lsi 70k
2003 s2000
91 RT4WD 166K

Last edited by bheinen74; 10-18-2011 at 03:44 PM.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 PM
subaru4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1986nate View Post
I have 2 windshields in great shape with the moldings/seals intact. (1 has a spot where the wire cut in slightly)

Blue

Bronze

Taking offers on these. I can deliver all over the east coast (midwest, northeast, southeast) within the next 4 months and west coast next summer. I can hold onto them ONLY if a non refundable deposit is put down on them. (terms, etc can be figured out via PM)

hi, am very interested. Im looking for the bronz color if you still have it. Please PM me with a estimate of what you would want to ship to 06790 as well. have cash and am paypale ready. Thanx Nick
Old 11-15-2011, 02:09 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by unparallel AWD View Post
hi, am very interested. Im looking for the bronz color if you still have it. Please PM me with a estimate of what you would want to ship to 06790 as well. have cash and am paypale ready. Thanx Nick
I will send you a PM as soon as I clear out my inbox.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:00 PM
Still rebuilding my block...
Alcyone Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to cozykat Send a message via MSN to cozykat Send a message via Yahoo to cozykat
Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Please let me know if another bronze finds its way to you. Need one badly.

'93 LSL Anniversary Edition - 02/93 - 150,998 Daily Driver - Forged EG33 (long block), 6MT swap, and re-upholstered interior
'92 Pearl - 100k Side restoration project
Locker | Old Locker | Shutterfly | ReadingIX | Facebook | Instagram

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: