Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > Down Under

Old 09-09-2002, 08:45 PM
The Road Less Traveled

O/T - What's OZ like?

I'd like some feedback from those of you down under.

I'm contemplating a move from Toronto to Melbourne. Nothing serious yet, but I would like to find out things regarding cost of living, such as food, housing, internet access (how else would I visit this board?), and anything else related to day-to-day living costs.

I'd also like to get a feel of what the job market is like in Melbourne, relating to the IT industry. Or Sydney, as that would be my second choice.

Any feedback appreciated.

Thx mates!

VK
Old 09-09-2002, 09:55 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Sydney as second choice??

Melbourne as first choice??? You are a lost cause!!!

Its excellent! The weather, in Sydney, is brilliant, the cost of living is not too bad except houses cost a FORTUNE (but bubble is set to burst though) and jobs...well, IT took a major hit so I imagine that it would depend on skills.

We were originally contemplating to emigrate to Canada from Ireland but Sydney came up and have never regretted it...save for the 20 hour flights to the rest of the world!!

PS: there is a rivalry between Sydney and Melbourne

Oh....and you can get all manner of Japanese import turbo wondercars here!!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 09-09-2002, 10:56 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Now now, don't knock Melbourne. I was BORN there.

I've been informed of the rivalry...

The IT market is dead-ish here, everyone's hanging on to their jobs for dear life, and very few new opportunities are coming up. There's such a glut of people within the industry from the dot.bomb that there's such an excess of people. I would've thought that Australia might have fared better. As an example, one of my clients hired a DB programmer in the $60k+CDN range two years ago. This summer, he just hired a DB guy that's more qualified at $41kCDN.

What do you think a modest income would be, one that a person can survive on with a semi-shoestring budget? What's public transportation like in Sydney or Melbourne? I keep hearing the cost of living in Sydney is significantly higher than Melbourne, but the wages aren't proportional. Is it true?

It'll be nice to see all the "banned-from-North-America" cars. But seeing is one thing, being able to afford is another.

I guess I'm prospecting Oz at this point, and see whether it's viable or not. For me, it's been too comfortable here, with a nice safety net (i.e. Parents) that I feel I need to step away from in order to mature and be more responsible.

Decisions, decisions.

VK
Oi? Eh? Identity Crisis?
Old 09-10-2002, 09:25 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Premature exasperation

Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam

with a nice safety net (i.e. Parents) that I feel I need to step away from in order to mature and be more responsible.

Decisions, decisions.

VK
Oi? Eh? Identity Crisis?
Don't rush into anything VK. Being immature protects us car nuts for the vasec....vascill...viscer.... troubles life can throw up at times.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-10-2002, 11:24 AM
The Road Less Traveled

Oh, I'm in no rush... No one is ever in a rush when they are comfortable. Except when you have to go pee.

I guess the way I see it is that I can't be a real responsible person if every time I fail or run into problems the safety net kicks in. Success just won't be as sweet or valued. I have to learn to get out of my own troubles, and right now I just don't have the discipline to refuse help, because it's so easily available.

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents dearly, and am forever grateful for affording the opportunities that I have had. But I think there comes a time when one needs to move on and away, if only for a period of time.

VK
Old 09-10-2002, 03:48 PM
Financial Contributing Supporter
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Hi there VK,

Just one of the SVX owners in Sydney (Blake is my name).

Noticed you were interested in exploring the possibility of moving to Australia.

Things you could look at on the web to give you a better idea are

1/ a jobs web site www.monster.com.au and
2/ a property web site (homes for sale) at www.property.com.au

To work out these big things in life these site are very big and should give you a brought insight.

Re the job market, the Australian economy is quite robust and a suspect the IT market might be a bit stronger here. Just a guess thought (not being a programmer).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 04:22 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by vkykam
Oh, I'm in no rush... No one is ever in a rush when they are comfortable. Except when you have to go pee.

I guess the way I see it is that I can't be a real responsible person if every time I fail or run into problems the safety net kicks in. Success just won't be as sweet or valued. I have to learn to get out of my own troubles, and right now I just don't have the discipline to refuse help, because it's so easily available.

Don't get me wrong, I love my parents dearly, and am forever grateful for affording the opportunities that I have had. But I think there comes a time when one needs to move on and away, if only for a period of time.

VK
You are making an emotional decision here, as opposed to a logical or an economic one. IMO, you are doing the right thing. Your parents will respect you for this, even if they will dread to see you move.

More importantly, you will gain from the self reliance and confidence you will build. Go for it. When you get older like me, your options will close in a lot.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-10-2002, 04:26 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Another SVXer comes out!

Quote:
Originally posted by moyadon
Hi there VK,

Just one of the SVX owners in Sydney (Blake is my name).

Noticed you were interested in exploring the possibility of moving to Australia.

Things you could look at on the web to give you a better idea are

1/ a jobs web site www.monster.com.au and
2/ a property web site (homes for sale) at www.property.com.au

To work out these big things in life these site are very big and should give you a brought insight.

Re the job market, the Australian economy is quite robust and a suspect the IT market might be a bit stronger here. Just a guess thought (not being a programmer).

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Blake
Hiya Blake.

First post!! Welcome to the Forum. James and the guys will be glad to see a new name. I am from Up Over myself, but Sydney is on my list of must see, although I hope to visit US first in 2003, please God.

What year and colour is your car?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 09-10-2002, 04:31 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Blake,

Thx for the suggestions. I will definitely check those web sites out. Right now, I've just gone thru seek.com.au for jobs. I think it's a long-shot that I would get responses back from the employers when they see I'm residing in Canada right now, but I won't know if I don't try, would I?

Joe,

Thx for your support. I suppose it is an emotional decision mainly, but somehow the logic in me tells me I'm doomed longterm if I don't force myself to light a fire under my end. I don't think my parents "dread" as much as they are "concerned" about surviving and making ends meet in an unfamiliar land.

Besides, it'll be a good excuse to add a member to the Down Under membership list, even if I'll be SVX-less if I move.

VK
Old 09-10-2002, 04:42 PM

Hi there Joe,

I have been watching the posts from time to time on this site. I sort of got lost when we migrated from the Yahoo clubs format a while a go (I used the Australian Yahoo site a fair bit).

I have actually registered (with a photo) in this club under moyadon.

I know James quite well (we have met up quite a few times now) geographically he is near by, about 20 minutes by car).

My car is a 1992 SVX, I bought it new, and the colour Is a version of the burgundy. I have 88,000 Km on it (about 55,000 miles). I still have the original transmission too ! Have an oil cooler fitted.

I visited your country back in oct. 2000 and went around the California and Arizona areas (my brother lives just north of L.A.) and visited a friend I studied with in Raleigh N.C. You will find Australia very easy to get used to coming from the US (if you visit).

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 04:48 PM

Hi there again VK,

I just thought you could see what the pay rates would be compared to the housing prices so you could weigh it up. If you could apply for a job before you arrive I suppose that would be a bonus.

I haven't been to Canada, but my father has. I rememmber him saying that Toronto was a lot like Sydney... But is you are looking at Melbourne, I suppose that Melbourne must be more like Canada.

Re Melbourne being more affordable (housing). I was alot cheaper, but in the recent price movements (last 18 months) Melbourne has closed the gap a bit (still cheaper though)

Thanks for the chat...

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 04:49 PM

8:49 am Wednesday sept 11 here now
Old 09-10-2002, 04:53 PM
The Road Less Traveled

Blake,

I've actually done a bit of research into pay rates and such. I've looked at Melbourne staticstics, and a computer service geek such as myself averages $750-$850/week.

I think my concern is how far that $750/week goes. I have an idea of rental costs, but I really don't know what day-to-day stuff costs.

VK
Old 09-10-2002, 05:02 PM

Hi again VK,

Re sundy costs of living...

Food costs are fine. We are the lucky country here. Insurance costs are ok. Imported manufactures are a little more expensive relative to our pay. Designer stuff we pay more for reflecting the week Australian dollar. Very important... we do not received a tax deduction for our mortgage payments. The family suffers compared to the US treatment (I don't know about Canada tax treatment). Catipal gains on your occupied home are tax free. Silly businessy things to mention. But we are quite different in these areas. Health costs are cheaper too.

Anything in particular you might want to know of ?

Regards,

Blake
Old 09-10-2002, 05:18 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Sept 11

Quote:
Originally posted by moyadon
8:49 am Wednesday sept 11 here now
Hi Blake

It's just 10 minutes or so into the day here.

I confused you a bit with my Up Over description. I am Irish, like James.

In fact, not like James. I only got mad about SVXs AFTER buying one
[couldn't resist it James]

Mine is one of possibly three SVXs in Ireland. There is another Claret in Dublin, but I have never met him/her. Also, two guys in Cork have one, they were featured on a recent Cannonball run.

So I get a lot of strange looks. This is good, now I can blame them on the car. I used to get them before I bought it.

Have you the full blown 4 WS?

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: