Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 01-23-2011, 06:05 AM

Tranny cooler

ok i will start off be saying this
i have a 1994 subaru svx FWD type L
should i get a tranny cooler for it? and does fwd put as much stress on the tranny as a AWD?

and if i do get a tranny cooler...
what one?
how hard is it to install?
how to install tranny temp gauge?

Thank you
Old 01-23-2011, 06:21 AM
51 Club

Registered SVX
Re: Tranny cooler

Yes you should get a cooler. It's the same tranny as AWD basically and they are prone to failure from heat. They're very easy to install and many brands work well.
Do a search and you'll find a ton of info on this forum.
Old 01-23-2011, 06:46 AM

Thank you very much
I was thinking of going with making it AWD but then again i might just keep it stock
Later buy a AWD svx

What other things should i do to make the tranny last as long as possible?
Old 01-23-2011, 08:39 AM
Uses the ignore feature

Registered SVX

There is a recent long thread on this subject. Tranny cooler is nice but why is under debate. Many people believe the biggest benefit is the reduced flow resistance relative to the internal radiator based cooler. If that is true and heat is more a symptom than a cause, one doesn't need a high capacity cooler. The radiator cooler is probably in the area of 2000-4000 GVW. In fact, if you go too high, your torque converter will be slow to lock up. Also, a high capacity cooler will have a large footprint which, I believe, to be undesirable since most people place it in front of the radiator. Everything restricts airflow, even if just a little. So I went with a 10,000 GVW cooler from flex-a lite. It has low flow resistance and a small footprint. It is larger than the stock cooler but not as high capacity of some of the monster coolers other have used.

Other nice items are:

1. Synthetic fluids in the tranny AND differentials is a great idea. I like Redline because it is ester based and esters are wetting agents that improve heat transfer. Tom like BG which also make nice products. Mike likes Subaru dino ATF with Lubegard in the red bottle. Lubegard is a great additive which is based on esters.
2. Mike's TCU upgrade. He can describe the advantages better than I can.
3. Mike's valve body upgrade.
4. A cheap alternative to #2 is to increase the dropping resistor's resistance slightly. From my understanding, it helps a little but not as much as #2.
5. Some people have argued that driving in 3rd gear around town helps. The main arguments have been that the car does not hunt between 3rd and 4th, the strain on the tranny's parts is reduced and the fluid pumps harder/faster. The last point is the one that is most debated based on the pump design.

1996 Polo Green Subaru SVX LSi, 168,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF, Redline 75W90 gear oil, K&N HP-4001 Oil Filter, Mobil 1 5W50 FS (3qt) and 5W30 High Mileage (4qt) Oil Blend, Motul RBF600 Brake Fluid, AC Delco A975C Air Filter, NGK BKR6EIX-11 plugs, Centric Rotors, Power Stop Evolution Carbon Fiber Ceramic Brake Pads
2005 Gray Acura RL, 165,XXX miles, Redline D4 ATF with Lubegard Platinum Protectant, Mobil 1 5W20 High Mileage Extended Performance Oil
2009 Red Toyota Venza, 123,XXX, Mobil 1 5W30 High Mileage Oil
1992 Red Ferrari 348 ts, 82,XXX, Redline everything
Old 01-24-2011, 12:18 PM

Did a search on lubegard, 1st mentioned in 2001, ten years later still mentioned posittively must be some OK stuff..................G
94legacywagon"whinny"
84Brat"huey"
92svx"samantha".pearl
92svx"sabastian"4.44 silver
92svx"sabrina".ebony
05legacy gt limited "Moon" blue.
06 Subaru legacy gt limited.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:37 PM
There's a storm coming.

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huskymaniac View Post
There is a recent long thread on this subject. Tranny cooler is nice but why is under debate. Many people believe the biggest benefit is the reduced flow resistance relative to the internal radiator based cooler. If that is true and heat is more a symptom than a cause, one doesn't need a high capacity cooler. The radiator cooler is probably in the area of 2000-4000 GVW. In fact, if you go too high, your torque converter will be slow to lock up. Also, a high capacity cooler will have a large footprint which, I believe, to be undesirable since most people place it in front of the radiator. Everything restricts airflow, even if just a little. So I went with a 10,000 GVW cooler from flex-a lite. It has low flow resistance and a small footprint. It is larger than the stock cooler but not as high capacity of some of the monster coolers other have used.

Other nice items are:

1. Synthetic fluids in the tranny AND differentials is a great idea. I like Redline because it is ester based and esters are wetting agents that improve heat transfer. Tom likes BG Products which also make nice products. Mike likes Subaru dino ATF with Lubegard in the red bottle. Lubegard is a great additive which is based on esters.
2. Mike's TCU upgrade. He can describe the advantages better than I can.
3. Mike's valve body upgrade.
4. A cheap alternative to #2 is to increase the dropping resistor's resistance slightly. From my understanding, it helps a little but not as much as #2.
5. Some people have argued that driving in 3rd gear around town helps. The main arguments have been that the car does not hunt between 3rd and 4th, the strain on the tranny's parts is reduced and the fluid pumps harder/faster. The last point is the one that is most debated based on the pump design.

I had to take a long drive today in 24-26°f weather, driving a
1)4.44 SVX with
2)a huge transmission cooler,
3)no external filter,
4)factory trans cooler bypassed, and
5)BG Products synthetic fluid in it.
All five of these changes lower the transmission temperature.
The highest trans temperature that I saw was 140°f even though I was driving at 3000rpm, about72 mph.
When the temp dropped to 138°f, it would unlock the torque converter.
The cooler in this SVX is a 15,7/8"total width, and 7,1/2" tall.
It is a Hayden/Imperial #242016 that has six passes.
For a summer car, or a Southern States car its might still be a little on the big side.
the first equal length headers,
the first phenolic spacers,
the first Class Glass fiberglass hood,
the first with 4, 4.44s in his driveway

Fiberglass Hood thread
My locker
4.44 Swap link