Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 08-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
LH Fan fuse blowing/ A/C blowing HOT

OK, it's only 95 degrees here today, but my '97 has again started blowing hot after working flawlessly for weeks. A bit of background:

Heading South to NeedForSpeed Ron's house in early July for a mini-maintenance meet and at about the 70 mile mark stopped to fuel up, temp in Stockton, 104 degrees. Shortly after departure A/C started blowing warm, in about 5 minute cycles, then cold(ish) then warm, etc. Meanwhile temp gauge started spiking, just below HOT, then cooling, but not normal reading. The wife and I toughed it out til about the 115 mile mark, and pulled off to contemplate our course of action, outside temp now 108. Cooling off at the Andersen's bar in Santa Nella with a couple of cold ones while Blackberry cooled outside in the shade, we decided to abandon trip and head home, rather than brave another 200+ miles of this behavior, and possible breakdown. After enduring more of the same , to at least cooling outside temps, we arrived safely, sweatily home. When I checked the car I found the LH fan fuse blown. Replaced the fuse, and all has been well since, but car has only been driven sporadically in the ensuing weeks.

Today we took it up to Auburn to take Mom to lunch, and all was well blowing cold on trip up, and ride to the eating establishment. Starting off from there we had repeat performance of blowing hot and temp gauge moving up. Promptly shut off the A/C and drove to Mom's place. I pulled the LH fan fuse to again find it popped. Replaced it and headed home, A/C humming along cold until sitting through a couple long signal lights and temp started rising on A/C output, and temp gauge rising just slightly. As soon as we cleared the lights and were able to maintain about 25mph the A/C again blew cold til arriving home. Checked LH fan fuse to find it OK, but wished to test a theory concocted on the way home. I turned on the A/C (AUTO) and shut the car off, then restarted it, and as theorized blew the fuse. I then shut off the A/C, and after replacing the fuse, and restarting the car did not blow the fuse.

Anyone else had similar experience? I have a feeling one of the LH fan relays (there are 2, LH Fan 2 and LH fan 3) is sticking, allowing the starter action to somehow blow this fuse if Auto is engaged at startup. Second problem is the reduced cold output and heating slightly when in traffic and stopped. Any suggestions?

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Re: LH Fan fuse blowing/ A/C blowing HOT

Not sure what's causing the fuse to blow, but the 2nd problem is because the fan stops. The AC compressor switches off when the coolant reaches a certain temp.