Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 01-14-2010, 01:35 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Re: SVX LED Taillights

Excellent work. But I recommend you keep the same height/row pattern of the leds from the ambre part to the red part...

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:12 PM

Good thinking. I'll adjust the turn signal pattern. When I went to make the turn signals, I just wanted to try and fit as many as I could in there, and forgot about turn signal to marker light alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSpear View Post
Excellent work. But I recommend you keep the same height/row pattern of the leds from the ambre part to the red part...

Last edited by apkarian100; 01-14-2010 at 02:16 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:15 PM

Ah yes, sequential turn signals. Because the turn signals are so small though, I don't think the output would be that noticeable. In my opinion, it's not the worth it for being such little turn signals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnybeas View Post
as far as integrating a sort of fade from inside to outside for the turn signals like on some bullet bikes... possible?? yes no?? I'd be super interested in that!
Old 01-14-2010, 04:38 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkarian100 View Post
Good thinking. I'll adjust the turn signal pattern. When I went to make the turn signals, I just wanted to try and fit as many as I could in there, and forgot about turn signal to marker light alignment.
Maybe something like this. Not having the LEDs fill the entire tail/ brake light.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg LED tail.jpg (194.1 KB, 1749 views)
File Type: jpg LED Tail 2.jpg (295.7 KB, 4229 views)

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 01-14-2010 at 05:45 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:56 PM

I wish I had the money for a set of these... I love LED tech, it just makes a lot of sense.

I like SVXcess's idea... but I would add something.

Where he has the upper and lower black stripes to crop the tail/brake segment down...

I wonder if a line of red LEDs, or even a light-pipe style arrangement could extend across the top and bottom, above and below the amber turn signal area, as well, and use that as the tail lights, and the array between the upper and lower lines as the bright brake lights.

I have wanted to try making a custom LED light-pipe using clear acrylic rod, like a venetian blind adjuster, or a transparent plastic clothes hanger, or some other source of transparent solid plastic stock... some etching to diffuse the light, and some heat to bend it into shape... and clear epoxy to glue LEDs to each end... Maybe a line of forward firing LEDs behind the light-pipe, firing through it, to go really bright like a brake light.

I've always liked the way BMW does the light pipe tail lights. Lincoln MKX had them, and the new Saab 9-5 was supposed to, as well... It is a slick look. SVX would look right at home with that sort of treatment.

One could extend the LED upper and lower tail light elements across the whole tail-bar, from the left , center, and right pieces, with brake light arrays where the current bulb reflectors are. Maybe a little tail light refraction onto the SVX logo in the center of the trunk bar.

Then to finish off the treatment, put the same line array or light-pipe type thing into the side marker housings, with a sideways "Y" shape that tapers the upper and lower tail light lines together into a single line pointing toward the front of the car, or some other finishing touch to the tail light line theme.

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-14-2010 at 05:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:38 PM

You are halfway right on the idea. The parking/brake lights are still going to have six rows, but the turn signals will have 4 rows. Please note that i am still trying to fill out the whole taillight. The reflectors will diffused the LED lights to the point where you won't even see the individual LEDs until you look at the taillights very closely.
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxcess View Post
Maybe something like this. Not having the LEDs fill the entire tail/ brake light.

Last edited by apkarian100; 01-14-2010 at 05:42 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 05:42 PM

The problem with adding light rods across the whole taillight is that different portions of the taillight are not flat on the underside, meaning if I stick a whole light bar across the taillight, you'll notice when the tailight lens splits that the light tube wont spread light evenly.
Old 01-14-2010, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX

Bump from my previous post

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Old 01-14-2010, 10:22 PM

Yeah, they'd be split at the seams of the lights... but I don't think that would be all that horrible. but you may be right about the mounting issues inside the housings...

These cars seem to pull it off ok.

Even a bike tail light... kinda cool...

------------

1992 Claret SVX. Rescued from certain destruction, and still on the road, where it belongs. Waiting for a bit of a makeover, when I can afford it.
2005 Garnet Red Pearl Legacy GT Limited 5-speed. - The late great Subaru sport touring sedan.
1999 Classic Red Miata, Preferred equipment package 5-speed. Fun, fun, fun, in the Sun, sun, sun.

Last edited by BoxerFanatic; 01-14-2010 at 10:28 PM.
Old 01-15-2010, 12:39 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX

I am still not convinced by the rectangular designs displayed for the SVX.

I think it take a lot more than that to make the SVX look good. I will post a picture of what I think the design should look like later today.

EDIT: Here is a rough ppt picture that I see the SVX in. Of course the edges should be perfectly round...

1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.

Last edited by SilverSpear; 01-15-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:50 AM

A reverse lights mock-up for you guys:

Old 01-16-2010, 10:59 AM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX

Quote:
I am still not convinced by the rectangular designs displayed for the SVX.

I think it take a lot more than that to make the SVX look good. I will post a picture of what I think the design should look like later today.

EDIT: Here is a rough ppt picture that I see the SVX in. Of course the edges should be perfectly round...

Great input, as usual, Danny!!! Chuckling as I sit at my Father-in-Laws place in San Luis Obispo!! Just checking out this thread for the 1st time. Nice progress, but I think Danny makes a valid point as far as what it would take to continue the SVX's unique styling themes, blended with the step forward in tech. Not quite there yet imo.

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 01-16-2010, 11:15 AM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Thanks Glenn, I even have a better idea than this, but it requires some skills and time to perform. Something related to holes which illuminate at the bottom... like the +2006 Nissan 350z taillights (with larger leds).

Old 01-16-2010, 11:47 AM

I will admit, I like your ideas, but I'm afraid if I implement these ideas, the LED taillight kit will become less of an easy DIY application. I might try this later but right now I just want to make a universal outline for everyone, just to get an idea of how this will be to install. If more and more ask for a more custom application, I can try it, but it will require the DIY kit to be more costly.

I can possibly offer your style as a variation, if enough are interested.
Quote:
Thanks Glenn, I even have a better idea than this, but it requires some skills and time to perform. Something related to holes which illuminate at the bottom... like the +2006 Nissan 350z taillights (with larger leds).
Old 01-16-2010, 12:19 PM
Still 1.7K to go...

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by apkarian100 View Post
I will admit, I like your ideas, but I'm afraid if I implement these ideas, the LED taillight kit will become less of an easy DIY application. I might try this later but right now I just want to make a universal outline for everyone, just to get an idea of how this will be to install. If more and more ask for a more custom application, I can try it, but it will require the DIY kit to be more costly.

I can possibly offer your style as a variation, if enough are interested.
Thanks bro. Can you please do me a favor and take the measurements of those highlighted in red? I need to know the exact space available to insert leds... I am not stepping on your toes here, I just need to know if my idea can be done...