Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > MOD Mania > Body Modifications

Old 04-30-2009, 06:12 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX
Re: Finally some progress...

No sorry you won't.....lol...........and I want to see some damn pics already!
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-06-2009, 05:05 PM
Fighting with electricity

Send a message via AIM to SVX10 Send a message via Yahoo to SVX10

haha...I'm nervous to post them. Everybody's gonna be all judgemental like "Why'd you do that?"

It looks cool, but it's definitely different.
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

I don't care if Subaru says it's STI...it will always be STi to me
Old 05-06-2009, 05:31 PM
Collision Refinishing Tech

Registered SVX

You should have seen the first time I painted my car. It looked like chip guard from the doors up, and I even took it to Reading last year. It's all a learing process so show the pics and I could give you some pointers from looking at them.
Mods:AWD conversion/4.44 swap by Budfreak, Custom red interior lights, Custom Satin black dash, Power mode switch, Cold air intake, Permecool tranny filter,Sony xplode 10" sub, Sony xplode 1000w amp, Blitz in-line driver, DDM Tuning 6000k HID's, New paint job/body work by me, 97' Grill, QC shift kit, 17'' MB Motoring rims, 15&20 min mod, front & rear urethane swaybar bushings, Custom fiberglass sub box, Custom red led a/c control unit, perrin lightweight crank pulley, Black wrinkle finish powdercoated intake manifold w/ clear hoses , 02' outback heated/power black leather seats
Soon to come:Fiberglass hood, upholster ALL suede to black leather
Past subies:

92' Pearl White/black top LS-L-SOLD
96' Legacy Outback-TOTALED
99' Legacy Outback Limited 30th anniversary edition-TOTALED
98' Forester L -Totaled
Other toys:
99' Forester S -WRX brake upgrade, soon an 04 wrx motor swap
06' B9 Tribeca-Stock
1982' Yamaha xj650 Maxim
Mods:
work in progress
Old 05-06-2009, 05:46 PM

Well, the way it is right now you won't be able to see what I did wrong during the application because I've sanded it down. My guess, though, is that I put it on too thick, and used too much flat clear in my flat:regular clearcoat ratio. Biggest issue was probably too thick of a coat, though.

So, I ended up with the really white, hazy areas where the clear was too thick and the flattener really flattened it out. I tried 600grit sanding to get to a point where I could re-apply and not have any white, but that was taking FOREVER. The last thing I want to do at this point is re-sand the hood, front bumper, trunk lid, mirrors, and door handles.

With the 600 going too slow, I moved straight to 80 grit, and I sanded as though I were sanding filler. It knocked down the white spots very quickly and left a really cool crosshatch in the clearcoat...cool enough that I said to myself "hey...I just might leave it like this!" It has the appearance of distressed furniture, and i think it'll look really cool after I add the gold accents I'm planning to add after it's all painted black.

So, that's what the pics will show...a fresh paint job sanded down with an 80 grit crosshatch pattern.

The upside is that it'll be incredibly easy to make the rest of the car match when I paint it, and it'll be incredibly easy to touch up in the future. Plus, it won't show scratches.

Considering that it looks cool and has those advantages, I'm planning to just stick with it. I'll throw up some pics tonight.

If I ever do another job in the future, though, it's getting a gloss finish to show off all the prep work I did. That's my biggest regret...I did some really good prep work and it won't be anything anybody will be able to appreciate.

Mat
92 SVX LS-L - Ebony Pearl - 2002 WRX 5MT trans w/STi gearset (rebuilt & installed myself ) - BMW E46 HID retrofit - Kenwood Headunit - Phoenix Gold 75x4 RMS amp - Alpine Type R 6.5" front components - Alpine Type R 6x9 3way rear speakers - 18"x9" Rota G-Force wheels w/225/40ZR18 Toyo T1R's - Mychailo's custom springs - Urethane front & rear sway bar bushings - KC exhaust (2.5" dual magnaflow) - Escaine seat swap - Removed Spoiler

Old 05-07-2009, 12:07 AM

http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...netwright/SVX/

That link takes you from primer through prep through spray through curing through crosshatch sanding.

Old 11-08-2009, 10:24 PM

Well, I suppose perseverance and learning from mistakes yields good results!

More pics available here:
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...painted%20SVX/

Not sure what happened to make this time around a success vs. the miserable failure of last time. I modified the amount of flattening agent, which I'm sure helped alot, and I also used a 1.3mm tip for the clearcoat instead of 1.5mm.

Last edited by SVX10; 11-08-2009 at 10:27 PM.
Old 11-09-2009, 01:28 AM

Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post

Im not a fan of the satin/matt look but that looks pretty good
1973 1400 GSR Yelo 2 Door Coupe awaiting Restoration
Old 11-09-2009, 03:21 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVX10 View Post

More pics available here:
http://s206.photobucket.com/albums/b...painted%20SVX/

Not sure what happened to make this time around a success vs. the miserable failure of last time. I modified the amount of flattening agent, which I'm sure helped alot, and I also used a 1.3mm tip for the clearcoat instead of 1.5mm.
You have done a superb job, looks very well.

Like Subbie, I'm not really a fan of the flat or satin finishes but you have produced a lovely job here and congratulations.

Your Rota G's look stylish as well and they will stay looking good until you rub them off a few kerbs! For that problem it would be the Enkeis for me, every time.

Nice job man, nice job. Post pics when you have it assembled.

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 11-09-2009, 05:30 AM
Soon to own a fuctional SVX

Send a message via AIM to STeeL25T

I knew flat black would look awesome on these cars, it really shows off the amazing lines we have. Remind me of the Tumbler from Batman Begins haha.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist View Post
You have done a superb job, looks very well.

Like Subbie, I'm not really a fan of the flat or satin finishes but you have produced a lovely job here and congratulations.

Your Rota G's look stylish as well and they will stay looking good until you rub them off a few kerbs! For that problem it would be the Enkeis for me, every time.

Nice job man, nice job. Post pics when you have it assembled.

Joe
Thanks

The Rotas are going to be a bit of an issue. They're waaay too wide and rubbing pretty severely. I'm not sure if negative camber will be enough to fix it I may have to try to trade somebody for the same wheel in an 18x8.5 and larger offset.

Old 11-09-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

wow... looks soo good! I'm not usually a fan either but that looks way good, and with the flat look you could pull of vht nightshades without clear coat too to give it more of that solid black look. nice work!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:27 AM
95 Laguna Blue 5 Speed
Subaru Bronze Contributor

Send a message via AIM to jokethis89
Thumbs up Re: Finally some progress...

Wow that looks really awesome!

Wanna paint mine?

....in like 8 years...when I get it done?
Old 02-25-2011, 01:14 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Johnybeas Send a message via MSN to Johnybeas Send a message via Yahoo to Johnybeas Send a message via Skype™ to Johnybeas
Registered SVX

holy old thread bump batman! still a sick paint job!
Old 02-25-2011, 10:27 AM

lol...wanna just buy mine and save yourself the trouble? I love my SVX, but it just sits in the garage now. The E85 STi and various company cars handle the daily driving responsibilities these days.

Thanks for the compliments. I've since removed the tint (which was purple) and changed to silver wheels with less aggressive offset (had really bad rubbing).

Seriously, though...if I found a good home for it I'd probably sell it...