How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-30-2007, 02:16 AM

Send a message via AIM to subru92svx
Question Quick tire question

I have a quick tire question and figured I'd get a few people opinions before I decide what I am going to do to fix the problem. I have 18" rims and 225/40/18 Nitto NT-555 tires on my SVX and I noticed my back left tire had a slow leak to it. Every couple of days I would have to put more air in it to match the other tires which I keep at 42psi. Well it took me a few days, but I finally found time to get my car into Discount tire Co. where I bought them. After about 15 minutes I get the bad news that there is a nail in the sidewall of the tire and it can't be fixed. I'm figuring that I'm going to have to buy 4 new tires, but the guy at Discount Tires said that since there is less than 2/32 tread difference between the tread of the new Nitto NT-555 tire and the tread of my used Nitto NT-555 tires that I could replace just one tire no problem. I informed him many times that my car was AWD and I do not want to damage it with different size tires. The worker insisted that he already knew that my car was AWD and that it won't hurt the car at all. I really don't want to buy 4 new tires since my tires still have about 80% tread left, but I don't like the idea of putting on just one new tire either. I figured I'd replace at least two tires minimum. Then maybe replace the other two when I get my next pay check. New tires will be in on Friday. Any better ideas, warnings, etc?
Old 10-30-2007, 04:08 AM

Its not a problem the guy is right I often get stuck (in the desert) and you have to take what ever tire you can get. The two spare I carry with me are both totally worn and I never have trouble. You need to remember that the spare is really small and I have had to drive 400 Kilometers on it one time and never hurt the gear box or diff. That was with the auto and it had 300,000 on it. In these trips I can be on tar as well.
1995 - SVX 700,000 K Mine, DMS Struts to lift car 2in. Tyres Wrangler Silent Armor 235/70R16, PBR Radiator. 6 speed with DCCD and R180 rer diff, Heavy duty top strut mounts front and rear. Speedo correction box fitted. New stero (gave up on the old one). Back seat removed and 2 spare tyres fitted for desert driving. ECUTune SC sitting in the box for the next SVX.
1992 - SVX 255 K Wife (Want to stay Married so not allowed to fit SC)
1992 - SVX Pearl with black roof race car roll cauge etc ready to race. Ex Tasman Targa car.
1995 - SVX Green low k mint condiation.
1995 - SVX Rally car, ex Matts car. Now to be used on track.
1992 - SVX red & Black being converted to Mid Engine.
1995 - SVX Red 143,000 bit rough.
Owned 5 others Subaru back to a 1974 1400 GSR.
Old 10-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Banned

Exclamation anal. retentive

so just order the tire shaved from edgeracing.com
Quote:
Originally Posted by subru92svx View Post
I have a quick tire question and figured I'd get a few people opinions before I decide what I am going to do to fix the problem. I have 18" rims and 225/40/18 Nitto NT-555 tires on my SVX and I noticed my back left tire had a slow leak to it. Every couple of days I would have to put more air in it to match the other tires which I keep at 42psi. Well it took me a few days, but I finally found time to get my car into Discount tire Co. where I bought them. After about 15 minutes I get the bad news that there is a nail in the sidewall of the tire and it can't be fixed. I'm figuring that I'm going to have to buy 4 new tires, but the guy at Discount Tires said that since there is less than 2/32 tread difference between the tread of the new Nitto NT-555 tire and the tread of my used Nitto NT-555 tires that I could replace just one tire no problem. I informed him many times that my car was AWD and I do not want to damage it with different size tires. The worker insisted that he already knew that my car was AWD and that it won't hurt the car at all. I really don't want to buy 4 new tires since my tires still have about 80% tread left, but I don't like the idea of putting on just one new tire either. I figured I'd replace at least two tires minimum. Then maybe replace the other two when I get my next pay check. New tires will be in on Friday. Any better ideas, warnings, etc?