Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-22-2007, 10:15 AM
It's just a phase

Send a message via Yahoo to msvx95
Registered SVX
Matt if you are interested I still have an available cluster, but the one printing plate is bad on the back that illuminates the PRND321 inbetween the speedo and tach.
Everything else works though and if you need it I can pull it out of storage and get you this so you can troubleshoot.

PM me if you desire this.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:19 AM
Network Design Administrator

Bah! You were supposed to call me when you were going to do this so I could help!

Anyways, glad you got it back together.
-1993 Subaru SVX LS-L, Barcelona Red, #46, 160,000+ Miles (Sold to SomethingElse)
-2011 Toyota Sienna SE, Black, 30,000+ Miles (Swagger Wagon )
-2002 BMW R 1150R ABS, Black, 26,000+ Miles (Daily Driver )
SVX Owner from February 1997 to March 2008
SVX Online Community Member since February 1998
SVX World Network Member since February 2002, Member #520

Life is a game. Play to win.
The world belongs to those who can laugh at it.

Last edited by RSVX; 10-22-2007 at 10:22 AM.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:15 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Update:
Fuel gauge works.

Speedo - dead
Speed sensitive steering - dead. Operates at full assist at speed, seems to have very little assist at low speed.
Cruise control - dead
Odometer - dead

Today after a few miles of driving the check engine light came on. Only one code is present - code 33 - Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or circuit

Thanks for the offers on a speedo cluster - Todd already has one in the mail to me. Thanks Todd! I may not end up needing it but I am taking it anyway. The price was right
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:16 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by RSVX View Post
Bah! You were supposed to call me when you were going to do this so I could help!

Anyways, glad you got it back together.
I'm glad you weren't here - I was cursing like a sailor!
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 10-22-2007, 02:30 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
Update:
Fuel gauge works.

Speedo - dead
Speed sensitive steering - dead. Operates at full assist at speed, seems to have very little assist at low speed.
Cruise control - dead
Odometer - dead

Today after a few miles of driving the check engine light came on. Only one code is present - code 33 - Vehicle speed sensor (VSS) or circuit

Thanks for the offers on a speedo cluster - Todd already has one in the mail to me. Thanks Todd! I may not end up needing it but I am taking it anyway. The price was right
The front speed sensor would affect all of those things. Did you work under the hood to get the heater hoses off of the heater core?

The passenger side heater hose isn't too far from the speed sensor... It is on the front diff, about 1" forward of the diff dipstick...
Old 10-22-2007, 03:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Thanks Hocrest!

I was working in that area to reinstall the hoses but unfortunately the sensor was plugged in - thought maybe I had am easy fix.

But -
I got out the service manual and went through the VSS2 troubleshooting.
I got the correct resistance between the VSS harness and the TCU harness.
I got the correct voltage between the VSS harness and ground
I then removed VSS#2.
I then **** my pants when I saw some of it missing
I then re-read that section of the manual and found out that the sensor key part is not connected and you have to remove it separately.

Testing VSS2 voltage while rotating it I am not getting any voltage from it at all. It is supposed to change from 0 to 5 volts while rotating. I get nothing.

I guess I need to order that part.

In the meantime - the shop manual is not clear on reinstalling the sensor. It states to grease the tip of the shaft to keep it from falling out. Then to "insert it correctly in the key groove at the tip of the speedometer shaft" Which you can't see! I guess I just cross my fingers?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:07 PM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
In the meantime - the shop manual is not clear on reinstalling the sensor. It states to grease the tip of the shaft to keep it from falling out. Then to "insert it correctly in the key groove at the tip of the speedometer shaft" Which you can't see! I guess I just cross my fingers?

No kidding... Its like one turn, two turn, and right about there
I'm sure there is and easy way that both you and I have just been overlooking
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?
Old 10-22-2007, 05:27 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I just took a drive to get some beer (astounding!)
And the speedo worked.
For 1.5 miles.
Then it quit again.

I cleaned up the terminals a little more. #3 on the VSS plug was a little blue. Tomorrow will tell if it works again. I don't know why I get no voltage when spinning the VSS with the tester hooked up, but then it worked for a short while minutes later on a drive. But, I am sure OE on voltage meter use could explain it.
Old 10-22-2007, 06:54 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Testing VSS2 voltage while rotating it I am not getting any voltage from it at all. It is supposed to change from 0 to 5 volts while rotating. I get nothing.
From where did you get this information?

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-22-2007, 07:12 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

No problem Matt. Glad I could help.

Good luck on the troubleshooting session!

Todd
Old 10-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
From where did you get this information?
The factory service manual. Section 3 page 201.

Check vehicle speed sensor 2
1) Remove VSS2 from transmission. Connect body harness connector (B9) to VSS2 and turn ignition switch on
2) Rotate vehicle speed sensor 2
3) Check that voltage across VSS2 sensor connector terminals change (from 0 to 5) volts four times per rotation
Connector & terminal / specified voltage
(B9) No.1 - (B9) No. 2 / 0 -> 5V

My only guess why I got no voltage is that of the 3 terminals I might have connected to 2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:16 PM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
And you had it connected to the car and had the power on when you tested it?
Old 10-22-2007, 08:25 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
And you had it connected to the car and had the power on when you tested it?
Yes, plugged in with stripped wire leads inside the connector/plug to hook the alligator clips to. Ignition on.
I even went back and tested it again. I got nothing. I get 8 volts from #1 to ground (no spec in the manual for that) , 10 volts from #3 to ground, and no resistance when grounding #2.
I guess it's possible I am mixing up 1 and 3 and I only get 8 volts from # 3 and that's my problem?
Old 10-22-2007, 11:20 PM

Registered SVX
Thanks Matt,

It now turns out that my JDM model has a different type of sensor, hence some confusion. This could prove to be useful knowledge.

Cheers, Trevor.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-23-2007, 12:08 AM
Locker Link Solution

its hopeless, just sell it to me cheap
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?