IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-21-2007, 03:33 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Red face I broke my speedometer when I pulled the dashboard

I changed out my bad heater core this weekend with a used one (thanks again benebob/hocrest)
This requires removing the dashboard, console, dropping the steering column, and pulling the steering support beam back. Yes, it sucked.

Got it all back together, blew out the air bubbles, and I have heat again!

But - I no longer have a speedometer reading

Feeling stupid, I went through the whole process of removing everything and checked to find out what I left unplugged, pinched, or otherwise screwed up.

Didn't find anything. Wiggled all the connections I had played with just to make sure.

Put it all back together and still no speedo. The rest of the instrument cluster seems to work. Not sure on the gas gauge - time will tell with that.
Cruise control no longer works either.

Just feeling stupid.
I guess a used cluster will be my first (maybe cheapest) line of troubleshooting.
I hate to lose my mileage count (245k)
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
19 Subaru Ascent Premium - -Hers !.
89 DL 4x4 little red wagon - a.k.a. The immortal suby. 275k R.I.P.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:46 PM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Try to check the speedo part of the dash... maybe something is stuck or cut in the wirings.. check the back of the speedo and its related pins in the dash.

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:51 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I pulled the speedo cluster about 5 times and drove around each time. I even tried leaving the screws loose and wiggling it a little while driving. No luck. I took a good look at the wire tape and couldn't see any that were broken or anything. I also checked all the tabs on the sockets that it plugs into and they were all in good shape and bent out far enough to make good contact.

It was pretty frustrating.
And all I have left in the fridge is corona light and a few lagers. And it's no beer sales sunday in SC
92 Ebony LS-L ECUtune Stage2av1, Z32 MAF, 370cc injectors, TomsSVX intake, BontragerWorks 22mm RSB #003, HID Hi and Lo beams, OT endlink and bushing mods, PWR Aluminum radiator, Harvey's QC shift kit, 2.5" flowmaster 80 exhaust, 17" Michelin Pilot Sport A/S, Poly sway bar bushings, Slotted Bradi rotors, AFBeefcake powdercoated calipers, 97 grill, and a huge set of air horns. 300,000 miles and counting
92 Ebony LS-L. ecutune stage1v4, motorsport 1pc pulley. Garage Queen - sold to Dad in upstate NY 155,000 miles
Old 10-21-2007, 04:05 PM
Moar shifty!
Subaru Gold Contributor

Send a message via MSN to Crazy_pilot
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by immortal_suby View Post
And all I have left in the fridge is corona light and a few lagers. And it's no beer sales sunday in SC
That's a crime!

92 Ebony Mica LS-L "A Rolling Restoration": 223,250 KM - Sleeping
2007 STi 6MT, Stance GR+ coilovers, PWR Rad, JDM hood badge, svxfiles 6000K HIDs, JDM Clear Corners, $15/15 min mod, $20/20 min mod, Energy Swaybar Bushings, Hella Supertones horns, Gold STi BBS rims, Group A lightweight crank pulley, A/C system removed, Custom header-back exhaust, Hybrid carbon/metal rear sway bar, restored headlights with CCFL halos
2008 Subaru Legacy Spec B - Diamond Grey Metallic - Sold
2020 Ram 1500 Longhorn - Red Pearl

Old 10-21-2007, 05:02 PM

Registered SVX
Don't panic. It is very likely that fuse No. 15 is blown, as this fuse covers both the speedometer and fuel gauge circuits.

P.S. You are very lucky that I checked your thread, because the heading in no way describes the problem and it should be within the technical section. Refer sticky covering this issue!

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!

Last edited by Trevor; 10-21-2007 at 05:11 PM. Reason: P.S. Added
Old 10-21-2007, 06:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Don't panic. It is very likely that fuse No. 15 is blown, as this fuse covers both the speedometer and fuel gauge circuits.

P.S. You are very lucky that I checked your thread, because the heading in no way describes the problem and it should be within the technical section. Refer sticky covering this issue!
Thanks Trevor,
I checked all of the fuses quickly earlier today. I'll go out now and pull each one again to double check. (I blew up my test light a while ago)

Since this thread is turning more to tech help than just me drowning in my sorrow I'll go ahead and move it a and re-title it.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:28 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_pilot View Post
That's a crime!
To make matters worse, I found a bottle of Genesee Cream Ale in the back of the beer fridge.

Drinking it now.
Old 10-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Checked all the fuses - they all are complete.
I really need a test light to verify they are all getting power though.

I don't see one labeled as anything related to speedo (maybe meter?) and can't figure out which is # 15 on this diagram but I checked each one for a break. All of the fuses under the hood are complete also.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:03 PM

Registered SVX
Congratulations on the reply.

I would say that the applicable fuse is that labelled “ Meter SRS Lamp.

The wiring involved is automotive stupid and involves a duplicated circuit, so that a fault regarding connections would appear unlikely, but who knows? If the fuse is intact you must have disturbed something, somehow, somewhere.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 10-21-2007, 07:24 PM
Thread Killah
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
Congratulations on the reply.

I would say that the applicable fuse is that labelled “ Meter SRS Lamp.

The wiring involved is automotive stupid and involves a duplicated circuit, so that a fault regarding connections would appear unlikely, but who knows? If the fuse is intact you must have disturbed something, somehow, somewhere.
That's what scares me. I fear that I pushed a 15 year old wire to it's limit. I am hoping that some random electron caused the speedo to fry when removed and a replacement will fix it. Unfortunately the truth will be far from it. I'll be chasing spiderwebs of wire for a long time. The cruise wouldn't stop working just because the speedo display stopped. It has to be sensor or wiring related.
Old 10-21-2007, 09:02 PM
Yeah, I'm still around

Talking Mr. Dumas

You have PM
Old 10-21-2007, 09:33 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
That's what scares me. I fear that I pushed a 15 year old wire to it's limit. I am hoping that some random electron caused the speedo to fry when removed and a replacement will fix it. Unfortunately the truth will be far from it. I'll be chasing spiderwebs of wire for a long time. The cruise wouldn't stop working just because the speedo display stopped. It has to be sensor or wiring related.
If the fuel gauge is not working as well as the speedometer, it must be a wiring, connector, or fuse issue. It could hardly be possible for both instruments, to have failed at the same time

Old 10-22-2007, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Checked all the fuses - they all are complete.
I really need a test light to verify they are all getting power though.

I don't see one labeled as anything related to speedo (maybe meter?) and can't figure out which is # 15 on this diagram but I checked each one for a break. All of the fuses under the hood are complete also.

ok tell me where you found that fuse box?? i aint got one of them i dont think
Old 10-22-2007, 02:20 AM
Still 1.7K to go...
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to SilverSpear Send a message via MSN to SilverSpear Send a message via Skype™ to SilverSpear
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxual View Post
LoooooooooooooooooooooooooL.... check near your left foot inside the car
All Japs are like that... one near the left foot and the other inside the engine bay

1994 Silver SVX in hybernation, awaiting for the monsterous awakening (Lebanon)
1967 Mercedes-Benz 250SL Euro Specs, Hard/Softtop, White/Red. Under Complete Restoration
2013 Mercedes-Benz SL350 Euro Specs, White/Red. Mint... Another step into SL Collection.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:28 AM
Locker Link Solution

Quote:
Originally Posted by svxual View Post
if you have an abused one, it probably doesn't have the cover...
its in the same place as most subis
In progess: track down mystery noise <-identified, paint the new dash, get better pic
Spring plans: Replace Trans - Integrate ECU with the carputer - Suspension - Go back to STI Filter - Paint? Maybe not - Next Oil change: Purolator L30165

Member #995 | My Locker | My New Locker

Catch you next at: ? Auto-X ?