Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > Technical Q & A

Old 10-17-2007, 10:43 PM
i can make it on my oooowwwnn!

Eureka, brake calipers how do i fix now?

i found the rattle i had that sounds like my wheel is going to fall off could very likely be my brake caliper. if you grab the caliper or hit it with a rubber mallet it has a bit of play. it looks like the two rods that the caliper slide on are too small for the hole they go through. it doesn't really look worn, is there suppose to be a bushing or something? had just changed brake pads and fluid a couple months ago could i have put it together wrong?
Old 10-18-2007, 06:55 AM
242,000 mi on oem trans

Registered SVX
1. Did you keep the spring tabs in the pad locators?
2. Did you lube the pins when you reassembled the brakes?

1. The pads may be rattling in the locators.
2. Without lube, the pins will rather quickly wear down.
Current Stable By Age:
'89 Subaru XT6 Silver "Audrey" as in Hepburn
'96 SVX LSi #767Brilliant Red "Lil Red" Now on the front burner. Looking for a totalled, but running parts car.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:12 PM

all the spring tabs that were on it before it rattled are still on it, i hope it's all of them. i don't recall ever putting lube on the pins, so that is very likely. it seems like most the play is coming from those pins, thats why i was wondering if there should be a bushing or grommet there.
Old 10-18-2007, 10:46 PM
halfsharkalligatorhalfman

The pins wear down after time. mine were rattling, so i replaced them. No more rattle. They are pretty cheap i think.
Old 10-19-2007, 01:44 AM

bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrudder View Post
all the spring tabs that were on it before it rattled are still on it, i hope it's all of them. i don't recall ever putting lube on the pins, so that is very likely. it seems like most the play is coming from those pins, thats why i was wondering if there should be a bushing or grommet there.
it does have bushings in it for the shaft but i couldn't find a source for them I just replaced the calipers
Old 10-19-2007, 06:38 AM
Freezepop's are Awesome!!!!
Subaru Silver Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Hocrest
It's not bushings that it uses to ride on the pins, it is boots to keep grease in and grime out.

If there is movement on the pins, Are the pins worn? Or the holes in the calipers?
Old 10-19-2007, 09:45 PM

ahh, good points. i'll try to take a pin off and see how bad it is worn. Merz do you, or anyone else happen to have a part # for the pins? after market(autozone/napa)?
Old 10-19-2007, 10:07 PM
Old Fogey

Registered SVX
Parts listed at subaruparts.com:
Quantity Part # Description List Unit Price Price
2 26228PA000 Guide Pin $8.10 $6.17 $12.34
2 26228AA050 Lock Pin $9.48 $7.23 $14.45

Usually ship in 4-10 Bus days. As previously stated in your other thread I replaced these pins to no benefit, as well as replacing (again) the left front caliper. Good luck!

Glenn

1993 25th Anniversary Edition #63 of 301. R.I.P. Rojo 7/24/2008 She saved my life!
1997 Ebony Mica Pearl LSI. BLACKBERRY
1998 5-Spd Legacy GT Wagon in Glacier White: NUBURU
2005 Cadillac STS in Sandstorm Metallic: STORMY

Veteran and farthest traveler of 1st SoCal2MuseumsMeet2010.

http://www.subaru-svx.net/photos/user.php?RojoRocket
Old 10-20-2007, 01:08 PM

it is bushings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hocrest View Post
It's not bushings that it uses to ride on the pins, it is boots to keep grease in and grime out.

If there is movement on the pins, Are the pins worn? Or the holes in the calipers?
it certainly doesn't ride on those grease seals.
take a bolt out and slide the part off the shaft and you can tell if the bushings are worn pretty easy.
Old 10-21-2007, 10:22 AM

ok, i pulled the guide pins off and they look good. there is no metal to metal wear on them, just kinda dirty with old dry grease. i don't see any tye of bushing though, shouldn't there be one? i'm trying to think of other reasons for play in the caliper and i'm wondering if there could be an air bubble in the line causing that caliper to open up too far when i am not braking. i only think this because the right side seems to always have a little pressure on it(maybe explaining the pull to the right when driving). is something like this possible? or should i keep looking for a guide pin bushing?
Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 PM

FIXED!!!!!!! for now. turned out be the rubber boot on the end of the lower guide pin for the brake caliper. it is suppose to seat inside the hole the guide pin goes through but it had expanded for some reason and popped out letting the guide pin move around like a millimeter clanging around over bumps making that very loud metal to metal chatter. i put an o-ring in the grove where the boot is suppose to seat, this has stopped it for now but i would like to get new boots. does any one know what the part # for the boot on the end of the lower guide pin?

BTW thanx for all the help every one!
Old 10-22-2007, 11:01 PM

Send a message via ICQ to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via AIM to ShiuludeSVX Send a message via Yahoo to ShiuludeSVX
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbrudder View Post
FIXED!!!!!!! for now. turned out be the rubber boot on the end of the lower guide pin for the brake caliper. it is suppose to seat inside the hole the guide pin goes through but it had expanded for some reason and popped out letting the guide pin move around like a millimeter clanging around over bumps making that very loud metal to metal chatter. i put an o-ring in the grove where the boot is suppose to seat, this has stopped it for now but i would like to get new boots. does any one know what the part # for the boot on the end of the lower guide pin?

BTW thanx for all the help every one!
I'll look it into it in the morning. I got the whole boot set for both sides, and then decided to just replace back to OEM. Actually, I think the dealer pulled them right off the shelf for me.
June '91 Claret LSL #1733, Enkei RS-5's x 16", Original Paint, accompanied by Beautifully speckeled Front Bumper, Sony Audio Components, Small Car Shift Kit, "How to" Hood Lifts {Perfect}, "15 Minute Suspension Mod"
Motorsport Floor Mats. Perma-Cool External T. Filter, New Front Axels {1/2008}. "Classic Radiators" unit "$36 coil alternative" and Tranny rebuild at 287k 8/2012

'05 Infinity G35 Coupe.
No Mods, 33K Miles