Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 04-24-2002, 10:51 PM
LearJeff

Exclamation My "new" 97 LSi has arrived...

Browsing thru some previous "babble", I discovered my car apparently generated a lot of interest/controversy. Yes, that's the one, the e-Bay car in Denver being sold by the dealership as "brand new". Since so many people were familiar with the car, here's the inside scoop: No, the car isn't "brand new". Of course not, it is a 1997 model. Yes, it does have 121 actual miles. No, the odometer wasn't tinkered with. The car has never been registered since it was delivered to the dealership. I am the original registered owner of the vehicle. Many folks had an opinion on the chrome wheels. All I can say is they definitely work for me! I just received the car here in California two days ago and I've only put about 75 miles on it, so I can't say much other than; yes, it still has that new car smell and NO, I didn't pay $50,000 for it !!! Hopefully, this will answer some of the questions floating around about the car. Trust me, it has found a loving home.
Old 04-24-2002, 10:53 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: My "new" 97 LSi has arrived...

Quote:
Originally posted by LearJeff
yes, it still has that new car smell .
You gonna come to Indiana so we can sniff it?

-Mike
Old 04-24-2002, 10:57 PM
LearJeff

Smile Funny you should mention it...

It just so happens I was born and raised in Lebanon, IN., just about 25 or so miles north of Indy...I'll be visiting my dad and lots of my family there in September, but, alas, I will probably opt for air travel.
Old 04-24-2002, 11:00 PM
Green1995SVX

Re: Funny you should mention it...

Quote:
It just so happens I was born and raised in Lebanon, IN., just about 25 or so miles north of Indy...I'll be visiting my dad and lots of my family there in September, but, alas, I will probably opt for air travel.
The biggest SVX meet ever in the US will be in Lafayette, IN in July. That is what I was talkin about. I believe there are around 120 svx's registered to attend. Why not bring the red beauty out? Oh, and will you be driving this car daily?!?!

-Mike
Old 04-25-2002, 07:22 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: My "new" 97 LSi has arrived...

Quote:
Browsing thru some previous "babble", I discovered my car apparently generated a lot of interest/controversy. Yes, that's the one, the e-Bay car in Denver being sold by the dealership as "brand new". Since so many people were familiar with the car, here's the inside scoop: No, the car isn't "brand new". Of course not, it is a 1997 model. Yes, it does have 121 actual miles. No, the odometer wasn't tinkered with. The car has never been registered since it was delivered to the dealership. I am the original registered owner of the vehicle. Many folks had an opinion on the chrome wheels. All I can say is they definitely work for me! I just received the car here in California two days ago and I've only put about 75 miles on it, so I can't say much other than; yes, it still has that new car smell and NO, I didn't pay $50,000 for it !!! Hopefully, this will answer some of the questions floating around about the car. Trust me, it has found a loving home.
Yikes, there he is! Congratulations on your purchase, Jeff - I assure you that we're all really envious.

If I were to pick up an SVX with 121 miles on it, there's simply no way I could avoid driving it. But please tell us that you're not commuting in it daily.

Oh, and I wanna smell it, too.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-25-2002, 08:40 AM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Talking

75 miles? How's that tranny holdin' up?

Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-25-2002, 09:17 AM
LearJeff

SVX'ing

So far, the tranny is holding up fine (at least as of this morning at 235 mi. !) --- you guys are scaring me...

Thankfully, I won't be using it as a daily commuter. I originally set out looking for a "clean" SVX to use as a daily driver, as opposed to my Boxster, but then I found this one. Now, it will share the daily driving chores with the Boxster and my Outback!!!

P.S. I just found the first thing wrong with the car this morning...the driver's side window washer doesn't squirt. Is this the beginning of the end for the tranny?!?!
Old 04-25-2002, 09:25 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Re: SVX'ing

Quote:
So far, the tranny is holding up fine (at least as of this morning at 235 mi. !) --- you guys are scaring me...

Thankfully, I won't be using it as a daily commuter. I originally set out looking for a "clean" SVX to use as a daily driver, as opposed to my Boxster, but then I found this one. Now, it will share the daily driving chores with the Boxster and my Outback!!!

P.S. I just found the first thing wrong with the car this morning...the driver's side window washer doesn't squirt. Is this the beginning of the end for the tranny?!?!
Jeff, don't let these guys scare you. Well maintained, the SVX provides reliable service. Mine has 129k miles on it and has required no major repairs - transmission included.

That being said, since you have a choice, I wouldn't pick the SVX on really hot days.

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-25-2002, 09:26 AM
sith

heh... that made me laugh.

A new SVX and a boxster eh? You wouldn't be looking for a son to adopt by any chance would you?
Old 04-25-2002, 10:17 AM
Green1995SVX

Quote:
Originally posted by sith
You wouldn't be looking for a son to adopt by any chance would you?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 04-25-2002, 11:04 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
don't forget the Outback

AND...AND an Outback.

What's your secret?

Oh, BTW my '97 has 71Kmiles and the tranny is just fine.
Old 04-25-2002, 12:06 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Re: SVX'ing

Quote:

Jeff, the driver's window washer not squirting is a sure sign that the tranny's about to go south and the engine is about to explode. Better get rid of that sucker now and CHEAP. How's 2.000.00 sound?

Just kidding. Perhaps the hose has just come undone (check under the hood). Or, there is wax in the nozzle. Just take a straight pin and wallow it around in the holes a bit to get the gunk out.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-25-2002, 12:44 PM
Invisible avatar
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via AIM to Ron Mummert Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Mummert
Cool Re: SVX'ing

[P.S. I just found the first thing wrong with the car this morning...the driver's side window washer doesn't squirt. Is this the beginning of the end for the tranny?!?! [/B][/QUOTE]

Ha-Ha-ha! No, Jeff. Lucky for us there's no link between the tranny & the windshield squirter reservoir, HOWEVER - Be warned that there was a factory recall for improper (organic) washer fluids being used by certain Subaru dealerships. These fluids, when left in the reservoir for many years had a tendency to leak out at the coupling link for the transporter tube & drip down the firewall & ultimately puddle inside of a body frame component. Of course, on most SVXes, this puddle never forms because it evaporates with normal driving. BUT - if the car was not driven for over a year, the organic fluid could rust out a frame member, something you may not notice until that high speed emergency manuver causes a critical frame separation, & you and all of your loved ones sail through a guardrail into the path of an Amtrak freight train. Now, I really don't want to alarm you. I mean MAYBE the dealership read the recall notice & took the proper course of action... HOPEFULLY. But relax, Jeff - fortunately my company - Ripimoff Industries, bought the last quantities of the new SYNTHETIC Subaru approved wiper fluid that not only cleans better, but actually leaks down the firewall & forms a chemical bonding with the structural damaged area to make that failing frame member stronger than new! Some users even report a 5% increase in horsepower with better gas mileage to boot, but I certainly wouldn't want you to buy this product because of a few unsubstanciated claims. No - I want you to invest in the safety of your entire family.

So.... For a 16 ounce bottle of SubySafti-kleen Wiper Stuff, just send a check for only $19.95 plus $27.95 handling to:

Ripimoff Industries, 666 Yakfur Plaza, Kabul, Afghanistan.
Please allow 4-6 months for prompt delivery.

And...if you order today, we'll include the "Pin". That's right!
The Pin is a sharpened steel device that, when inserted in the nozzle of your clogged squirter hole, will return the nozzle to "like new" efficiency.

Glad I could help - Ron.

'92 stock semi-pristine ebony - 160K
'96 Grand Caravan - 240K
'01 Miata SE - 79K
'07 Chrysler Pacifica - 60k - future money pit.
Old 04-25-2002, 01:42 PM
Green1995SVX

I think Ron's been hittin the box a little to much this afternoon.

-Mike
Old 04-25-2002, 07:51 PM
museumquality

Learjeff

i was very close to buying that CO. lsi

i ended up buying a 94 red lsi, w/ 42,000 -$11,000
it is showroom clean as well, stock everything. even have the original window sales sheet.

i was trying to find photos of yours this last week through ebay history, now out of the database.

Reason: i wanted to view your wheels before i make a decision. I really liked the wheel style and crome on red. If you plan to post photos to your locker that would be awesome.

I hope to have the wheels on next week, i'm headin to palm springs, and love to put the hammer down on the 10. as long as there isn't a wind storm.

2 more: what did you pay for the svx? and how does it compare to the boxster?