IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-22-2002, 09:08 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by Green1995SVX
OK... I went thru my pics. I found this REAL beater from the Carlisle Sport Compact Show last year. I knew taking a pic of it would come in handy some day

-Mike
Is that a brake cooling duct in the fender?

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-22-2002, 10:38 AM
Member #447

Send a message via MSN to Uncamitzi Send a message via Yahoo to Uncamitzi Send a message via Skype™ to Uncamitzi
Registered SVX
Lightbulb I've an idea that I want to check out.

I've noticed that once I post to a thread.... it stops. let's see what happens to this thread.

I spent about 3 hours yesterday working on my "beater" 87 GL .. Changed oil, air filter, gas filter, new rotor and cap. Then spent about an hour cleaning the carpet and glass inside. For a car that is on the original clutch and from what I can find out (i'm the second owner) original timing belt it runs and dosen't look too bad. Thank the CAR GODS that I've got it. I'm waiting for the rear lateral links from pullyalup (sp?) so I can drive the SVX again. It's also nice to have a get-around-car to pick up parts or go to work. After this last week, with the gas prices for premium going to 1.84.9 it's nice to drive up to the cheep gas pump once in a while.
92 Teal SVX LS-L 128K tranny swap with 4.11's
Well.. my days of not taking you seriously have certainly come to a middle .
Old 04-22-2002, 11:22 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
I still think i've got the best beater ever.....

The Sheets Family Truxster.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84squire2.jpg (63.0 KB, 125 views)
Old 04-22-2002, 11:22 AM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via ICQ to cocacola08 Send a message via AIM to cocacola08 Send a message via Yahoo to cocacola08
Re: I've an idea that I want to check out.

Quote:
Originally posted by Uncamitzi
I've noticed that once I post to a thread.... it stops. let's see what happens to this thread.
thread's not dead yet
Old 04-22-2002, 11:44 AM

i think that these things should be added to the list

*wood panneling on the exterior
*more Mc D's bags on the ground then visiable floor
*bumper stickers hold on the bumper
*rust holes....everywhere
*it is used like a bic lighter--don't fix it, it would be cheaper to buy new
*the permadirt is holding the body together
*the heat and ac haven't worked since 1995
*you wait until the tires are smooth then you just buy used tires
*you wear dark glasses and a hat while driving in daylight
*you buy extra speakers from radio shack...just to drown out the noise coming out from underneath the engine..
*you and your mechanic are on a first name basis and he reconizes your voice when you call
*cops would never pull you over for speeding, their conscious wouldn't allow them to

Kelli
Old 04-22-2002, 01:38 PM
I abuse them one at a time

Location: Northbrook, Illinois, USA, Earth, Solar System... you get the picture
Send a message via AIM to Seraph Send a message via Skype™ to Seraph
Quote:
Originally posted by vzSvx

Yeah, my 'daily car' makes me look like a soccer mom 1994 Dodge Caravan SE. It runs great, cheaper to maintain and I only drive it for grocery shopping, and during my dress down days It's my back-up car to get me from point A to point B when SVX needs to be fixed.
Hey viv,

How is your SVX doing?

Lwin
Previous SVXes: •1994 LE Barcelona Red 107k • 1992 LS-L Pearl White 143k • 1994 LSi Bordeaux Pearl 220k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 184k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 145k • 1992 LS-L Liquid Silver 102k • 1992 LS-L Ebony Pearl 123k
Other current cars:2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Black
If at first you don't succeed, CHEAT!
Old 04-22-2002, 11:03 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
Hi Lwin,
Thanks for asking. Everytime I accelerate over 75, I start worrying, it gets very loud. It sounds like it's coming from underneath my car. Now, I'm starting to suspect that they did not reconstruct the exhaust properly after they installed the tranny. I have to turn up my stereo to hear the music. I couldn't find a chance to take it to Schaumburg, yet...too busy, can't take a day off. John told me a week ago to come in and they will check it. I hope I will find time this weekend.

By the way, thanks for giving me your phone number. It will come in handy one of these days. I was at Wheeling last weekend. How far are you from Bob Chinn's Crab House? I was there last Friday, and hoping I could spot an SVX

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 04-24-2002, 07:19 PM
svxeno

Quote:
Hi Lwin,
Thanks for asking. Everytime I accelerate over 75, I start worrying, it gets very loud. It sounds like it's coming from underneath my car. Now, I'm starting to suspect that they did not reconstruct the exhaust properly after they installed the tranny.
Viv,

Loud like how, I just had what sounded like my exhaust draggin on the gorund and then sounded like something laying on top of my drive shaft. Turned out the "carrier bearing" hadn't been secured properly to the underside of the car, after tranny replacement.

Does this sound familier?

Randy (Just learned that my drive shaft is in two pieces) ii
Old 04-24-2002, 08:56 PM
One teal and One yellow

Re: I love my "BEATER"

Quote:
Originally posted by SVX'in
..I have now had her about 5 years and I love her more everyday (she has had one oil change since I got her) She is TRUSTWORTHY and all the other things mentioned that a beater is! I will have to keep her forev.....
Your beater is very strong. 5 yrs, you only have 1 oil change. take my hat off to you. how could you do that? i love cars...i can't do that to any car......even a very cheap beater, i will do oil change at least once a yr...

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-24-2002, 09:08 PM
One teal and One yellow

Talking perhaps my beater is disqualified here...

i think my beater may not be qualified here.....
i sold my daily beater - '94 altima w/ only 71K at $4600...at this year's january....previously, i told all my frens that's my beater....they were all.... not a beater..

in march, i bought another much better condition car, i was thinking of using it as my summer beater..... can't even believe that this beater also has the illuminated key-light entry(somehow better design than the SVX's..)...even better AC and sunroof than my SVX's......

sometimes my SVX was my beater, too....just too nice and can't resisit to drive....

92 LS-L TEAL since Aug '01
92 LS-L YELLOW since Mar '05
Old 04-25-2002, 04:00 AM
Hater

my previos beater car hadn't been washed in four years! everytime i tried, more specs of paint would come off. was a '90 Lumina with over 130k. the radio got stolen in it, so it had the ultimate theft prevention: wires hanging out of the dash. i screwed up buying my current beater. its too nice looking. black '87 Lesabre T-type. i should have bought a beat up Honda or Toyota that i didn't have to wash. the "T" will be the last American car i ever buy, BTW.
Alan
Old 04-25-2002, 11:25 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to vzSvx
Quote:
Originally posted by svxeno

Viv,

Loud like how, I just had what sounded like my exhaust draggin on the gorund and then sounded like something laying on top of my drive shaft. Turned out the "carrier bearing" hadn't been secured properly to the underside of the car, after tranny replacement.

Does this sound familier?

Randy (Just learned that my drive shaft is in two pieces) ii
It sounded like a droning noise. It didn't sound like my exhaust dragging the ground. I also suspect the bearings, like Lwin mentioned before at the Lous noise thread. I just ordered the Rear Right Bearing ($53.00) from subaruparts.com. They told me that it's all need to replace this time. I still want my exhaust checked one of these days.

"Striving for excellence motivates you. Striving for perfection is demoralizing.".
Old 04-25-2002, 11:38 AM

Send a message via Skype™ to Andy
Didn't know what you were talking about until Yesterday.

SVX in for repairs so given a loan car. A Legacy 1992 previously owned by the Ambulance & Rescue Service for towing and launching their inshore rescue rib. Looks OK from 20 yards but peppered with rust. No shocks, and I mean NONE. Almost no brakes, bald tyres.

Typical Subaru though, starts 1st time and gearbox sweet.

Andy
Old 04-25-2002, 06:43 PM
svxeno

Quote:

It sounded like a droning noise. It didn't sound like my exhaust dragging the ground. I also suspect the bearings, like Lwin mentioned before at the Lous noise thread. I just ordered the Rear Right Bearing ($53.00) from subaruparts.com. They told me that it's all need to replace this time. I still want my exhaust checked one of these days.
Viv,

There is some post on the "General Babble" page about using a roller bearing setup to replace the ball bearing setup on our cars. I don't know how accurate this is but it's worth checking out.

Randy (Lwin, why didn't you ever give ME this much advice ) ii
Old 04-25-2002, 06:51 PM
Boone

Randy, READ the thread. That was a farsical statement on the part of a SALES Manager.