Live Chat!
SVX or Subaru Links
Old Lockers
Photo Post
How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > Regional SVX Forum & Clubs > European Forum
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-07-2007, 02:43 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by oab_au
The early models that had clutch linings that flaked off, were the ones that needed the filter, to stop the clogging problem, that Joe says.

If you live where it is cold, you don't need the extra cooler, but you do need the water cooled original one, to maintain the auto temperature, at a workable temp.

Harvey.
On the basis of the above you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. As has been indicated a filter can become blocked.

If a cooler is retrofitted adjacent to and in front of the radiator, as has been done on my car, adequate heat transfer will take place. There could be some additional delay during warm up, thus preventing early lock up and shifting into fourth speed, but surely if anything, this is an advantage.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-07-2007, 05:39 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
This is broadly true, Trevor.

However, if the box was ever refurbished, it will have the newer non-flaky clutches.

If it is still running on original clutches, and still has the turbulator in place, then either the temperatures in use for the owner's driving style are not high enough to dissipate the clutches, or else the owner is fastidious enough to flush the ATF regularly, and back flush, and the gunge is gone.

A new cooler like you have in front of the rad [I had mine sandwiched between the two rads] if big enough [in heat loss terms] will be perfectly adequate, but may keep the oil a little too cool for longer, like you say. I don't know how this can be good, except in real warm climates, as it will adversely affect fuel consumption.

Best of both worlds is having the new cooler plumbed in parallel to the OEM one with both working. The OEM will do the job of warming the oil up, presuming oil can flow through it. If it blocks up, sufficient flow AND cooling will still happen through the extra cooler.

Now, if the additional cooler blocks up as well, that's between TWO rocks and a hard place!!!

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-07-2007, 07:43 PM

Registered SVX
Joe,

I am disappointed that you have not afforded me the courtesy of acknowledging my last post, which was addressed directly to you, but rather, have given argument priority. In any event the point of argument is rather confusing.

Surely it can be taken as read, that any 92/3 SVX running at this time, has had fixed or is immune to, the flaking clutch issue.

As previously stated, I have a cooler fitted, adjacent to the radiator and it is invisible. This surely indicates that it must be between the radiator and A.C. condenser element. It is I gather, exactly like your own installation and is in front of the radiator.

How exactly will my set up adversely affect fuel consumption, regardless of ambient temperatures? Even if heading out of town, lock up and or fourth speed are not useful until after a period of enforced low speed. Engine temperature is most certainly in no way affected.

If two coolers are in parallel, major fluid flow will be through that with the least resistance. In my case this was discussed and would have been the replacement cooler. Therefore the OEM unit would not have done the job of warming the oil. What is more, convoluted plumbing would have been required; not desirable on several grounds, including reliability. Both myself and Eastern Transmissions, do not consider coolers in parallel are the best of anything.

As a child, on cold mornings I gladly stood in cowpats to warm my bare feet, but I detest bull$hit!
Old 02-08-2007, 03:34 AM

Registered SVX
confused!

If I wasn't confused before....I am now!!

Joking aside, I see reason in everyone's comments and the theory behind it, but my SVX having full Subaru service history and getting to a ripe old age of 15 with 90k on the clock, as Trevor suggests, the AT could have been refitted/repaired/renewed already. I think I will leave things as they are for now, as for the garage I go to have pride in looking after it and are a good dealership. They managed to replace a box in another SVX and charged labour only as the vehicle had full Subaru service....and this was only 3 years ago, .......doesn't mean to say, but sometimes you live in hope!

John
Old 02-08-2007, 03:47 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX

I did address your last post Trevor, are we not discussing the merits of plumbing in the additional cooler?

If you meant the post before, I thought the apology was to Harvey.

Regards the parallel/series debate, my point was it is the best "belt and braces" approach, a phrase you used earlier. Agreed and admitted there is additional plumbing, which can go wrong.

Against that, in a cold clime the new air/liquid cooler will tend to keep the ATF cold for longer after starting. Cold oil is sub-optimal, and will cause increased fuel consumption, as will the fact the box won't operate in 4 till the temps are up. This extra consumption is not a major factor as I see it, but is a fact.

Once ANY oil is still flowing through the OEM, because it is liquid/liquid it will warm up faster.

The Supercooler I used before [and I have a brand new one in a box for fitting with the new transmission!] was quite clever at handling the cold. While the oil was cold and viscous, it did not fit through the finer chambers of the cooler, only through the larger galleys. This meant it got back to the gearbox without being cooled too much, and was heated quick enough by the workout in the transmission.

A simple and elegant solution that is almost as good as the liquid/liquid version.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-08-2007, 03:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by blueji
If I wasn't confused before....I am now!!

Joking aside, I see reason in everyone's comments and the theory behind it, but my SVX having full Subaru service history and getting to a ripe old age of 15 with 90k on the clock, as Trevor suggests, the AT could have been refitted/repaired/renewed already. I think I will leave things as they are for now, as for the garage I go to have pride in looking after it and are a good dealership. They managed to replace a box in another SVX and charged labour only as the vehicle had full Subaru service....and this was only 3 years ago, .......doesn't mean to say, but sometimes you live in hope!

John
We do our very best to confuse, John.

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-08-2007, 05:14 AM

Registered SVX
Confused Joe!? maybe...entertained..DEFINITELY!,

This is all very warming (along with the Bushmills) for our cold, boring winter nights up here...

I will have to post more often!

John
Old 02-08-2007, 05:19 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Well John

I'm from horse territory here in Kildare. Stud farms.

Post and rail fences.

And that's what we do on the Network.

We post.

We rail!!

We fence!!!

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-09-2007, 02:48 AM

Registered SVX
Joe, congratulations on the fencing. Keep in mind that way down here we often electrify them.

I see John is confused and also amused, because we have one going up and down hill. The important issue is that it is straight.

Quote:
I did address your last post Trevor, are we not discussing the merits of plumbing in the additional cooler?

If you meant the post before, I thought the apology was to Harvey.
Joe my post and my apology was addressed to you, on the basis that you had drawn special attention to the decorum of the forum.

In respect of coolers I think we have fenced ourselves in.

I hope John does visit and post more often.

Cheers, Trevor. *<)

Old 02-09-2007, 08:48 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Yeah,

John's good fun.

For a Yorkshire man...

Thanks Trevor, apology accepted I'm sure although not necessary to me. I think the on-going sniping and general bad humour between you and Harvey is affecting the Network badly. We mods are getting quite a few complaints about it.

Hey, now I know you are something of an electrical genius and all, but how exactly do you guys Down Under electrify a wooden horse fence???

Answers on a postcard.......

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-09-2007, 08:20 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by svxistentialist
Yeah,

John's good fun.

For a Yorkshire man...

Thanks Trevor, apology accepted I'm sure although not necessary to me. I think the on-going sniping and general bad humour between you and Harvey is affecting the Network badly. We mods are getting quite a few complaints about it.

Hey, now I know you are something of an electrical genius and all, but how exactly do you guys Down Under electrify a wooden horse fence???

Answers on a postcard.......

Joe,

Why do you not tackle Harvey over his lousy sly stupid thread. The evidence is complete, and available to those who will take the trouble to grope through the authors smoke screen. Strange that no members have contacted me directly with a complaint. However there has been support.

Horse sense/fence.

In NZ we use a fabric tape carrying a fine wire, for this purpose. There is then no chance of horses being cut or scratched. The same material is often used at equestrian events, to construct temporary enclosures.

Horses become wise to the tape and it becomes hardly necessary for it to be energised. At they same time they do not become at all traumatised and appear to accept the whole deal. This I find strange.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:31 AM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
Joe,

Why do you not tackle Harvey over his lousy sly stupid thread. The evidence is complete, and available to those who will take the trouble to grope through the authors smoke screen. Strange that no members have contacted me directly with a complaint. However there has been support.
I actually would rather not "tackle" anybody. And certainly not neither you nor Harvey, both of whom I consider old friends.
I could run searches and point out to you the number of people who have challenged the nature of some of the threads and responses between the two of you. I won't bother, I know you have seen them.
Regards which of you is technically correct about the solenoid duty cycle I will say this as a friend and as a Mod; it doesn't matter! This is an amateur site.

People give advice in good faith. Advice can sometimes be erroneous [parallel cooler anyone? ] but we accept people are trying to help, and we don't look for apologies, retractions, tar and feathers nor hangings. So drop the subject and get back to helping the Network family keep their cars alive, and amusing one another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor
In NZ we use a fabric tape carrying a fine wire, for this purpose. There is then no chance of horses being cut or scratched. The same material is often used at equestrian events, to construct temporary enclosures.
No, no, no, no, Trevor, this answer is incorrect! The question I asked was "How do you electrify a wooden fence?" We have tape here since the Normans invaded, we know how to electrify tape. Electrify the wood, we need to know

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-10-2007, 03:53 PM

Registered SVX
The amateur site.

Joe, you ARE tackling me and now in scarlet, but agreed, not so Harvey

Quote:
Regards which of you is technically correct about the solenoid duty cycle I will say this as a friend and as a Mod; it doesn't matter! This is an amateur site.
It most certainly DOES matter that amateurs are being mislead by one who claims the professional status of an automotive engineer. This is my sincere concern and the reason for my many corrections.

In respect of the sly thread involving solenoids. By absolute intent, Harvey completely mislead members by stating that exact information which I had published was wrong. Furthermore he arrogantly stated that my correct information constitutes an embarrassment to the network and called upon me to withdraw same. His remarks were/are slanderous.

I proved the information I have provided as being ABSOLUTELY correct. Harvey has remained silent in circumstances where any decent individual would apologise.

Do I have to piss about with red ink in order to record FACT ?

Old 02-10-2007, 08:12 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
I meant to mark the responses in Green, a good Irish colour, but hit the wrong button. It was too much trouble to change it back.

So your reading the red colour answers as strident is mistaken. There was no such intent, merely to differentiate.

And Trevor, as this one is in reply to a post by you, in that sense what is written is addressed to you, out of courtesy. But I am certain that the majority of people reading it will see it is focused on the bad humour of the posts and threads where the both of you are sparring, it's not aimed particularly at either of you.

Plus you are studiously ignoring the point that I made; There is no forum rule that exists here in relation to making erroneous posts. There are SEVERAL rules against the writing of posts that are personal or insulting in nature, or name-calling, or taunting or inflammatory.

Viewed in that light I had hoped you would see my post as an indication that many, many members are fed up to the teeth with the on-going argy bargy between you two.

I am trying really really hard not to be judgmental about the technical issues here, nor to point the finger at either one of you.

But you seem unwilling to let the matter drop; even when I say the issue is of small matter to the Network. It is obvious it is of importance to you, else you would not keep dragging the same issue back up.

I hope that you both will take my advice. Drop the subject and move on. Enough already, I think is the phrase our American friends use.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 02-10-2007, 11:12 PM

Registered SVX
What Matters

Joe, you ignore the real issues I have raised. I repeat:-

"It most certainly DOES matter that amateurs are being mislead by one who claims the professional status of an automotive engineer. This is my sincere concern and the reason for my many corrections."

This quite apart from the obvious sly direction of Harvey's thread and lack of apology.

However, now that I have been made exactly aware of the general attitude of all here, I remain better informed. Thank you Birds, feathers.