Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-08-2001, 11:35 AM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Question Why a resume?

I don't understand the reasoning for a resume. I've been a member of many clubs over ther years, and served in a variety of positions in those clubs. I've never had to have a resume to do that, and quite frankly what would you check on a resume from a 4x4 club in Billings, Montana that probably is defunct now (20 years later)? I do want to state right here and now that I have no intention of even applying for some sort of position within the club structure, other than maybe being a member. My personal life has to get a bit less bumpy before I'd be willing to do that. I think we're starting to take this thing just a bit too seriously. It's a bunch of folks that like their cars, and want to get together occasionally for meets and stuff after all, we aren't deciding worldly affairs. Heck, if you want to get that deep into it, you'd have to hire an attorney, and then watch for patent and product infringement. Right now we're just a few people that might want to make a club decal or buy a carbon fiber hood, (that appears to have turned into a mess).

It almost sounds to me that some people want to charge for the use of this board and then if you aren't a member you can't attend the meets. Is that really what this site is all about? What's up with the dues thing? You can't buy a keyring or decal if you're not a dues paying member? Sounds like a bad road to start down to me. Not that I wouldn't mind making a *voluntary* contribution as it might be needed. I guess I just need a little help understanding the necessity of a structured club situation, and a dues system for a bunch of people that just like the car they own and want to talk about them and maybe get together once in awhile. I can guarantee you that if dues become mandatory here, I will no longer be here. And I think that while most of us could afford some sort of dues program...why? Just put the keychains and decals up for sale...for people that want them. Are you going to offer something new every year for dues paying members as an incentive?

Guys, this is just a car. A *great* car no doubt. But why bugger up a system that seems to be working well with a bunch of mumbo jumbo that ain't required? As evidence that the system as it is works pretty well, look at how many people offered to help Chris out when he had his power supply problem! Heck, even I have offered to send parts that I have to people (at no charge), just to help them out, should I not offer to help people that aren't dues paying members?

Think about it, I have been.
Old 05-08-2001, 12:30 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
First of all, eddy, no one is nor will they be required to pay dues to be a part of this board. That is not the case. Though a portion of dues will be used to maintain the physical properties of the board for everyone to use -- free of charge. It will merely be the designated point for all "official" network communications. Yes, the willingness of everyone to help is admirable, and that should not change. Point is, the power supply that was sent to Chris was faulty (unbenownced to the donor) and one still has to be acquired. Dues would have bought a new one, with warranty, behind the scenes and things could've gone on seamlessly. We don't want Chris to have to "beg" every time he needs something. Again, dues would not be required to be a member of this board.

Rolls Royces are "just cars" so are DeLoreans, Mercedes, Avantis, Hudsons, Morris Minis, ad infinitum ad nauseum -- they still organize -- To promote awareness, to "unify" for the purpose of letting people know that there is a concentrated market for parts, and so on. We can bounce around independently, whining about the parts supply drying up, or we can organize and say "look, there are a bunch of us who need parts, we have money to spend, please keep us in mind." Also, to say, "here is a volume of members who can guarantee that you will make a little money on your parts even if you sell them at a discount. So, can you help us out, please." Also, a letter from the president of an organization holds a little more weight than one from Joe Blow SVX owner.

The "organization" also prevents people from having to pop in on the board and say, "hey, when's the next meet? Did I miss it?" A newsletter would keep us up to date, as well as posting to this site in the network calendar (with the organization, someone would be given the charge to maintain it -- or, did anyone even know we have a calendar?)

I'm not saying we should set up corporate offices on Madison Avenue and get "stuffed shirt persnickety" about organizing, but, I will say that it could be of benefit and will serve a useful purpose. It will do a few things like, send a letter to a company and light a fire under them, if they're dragging their feet on a project like carbon fiber hoods. It would arrange for and compile and provide a place to buy your keyrings, jackets, shirts and so forth, instead of depending on someone to pipe up and say, hey, let's make some shirts, and you get a short run, and people say, where'd ya get that? And you have to say, it's a short run and there aren't any more.

As for resumes, I'm with you on that. If people were to see my resume, they'd probably run screaming.

If you don't want to be a part, nor want to join, that's perfectly alright. You're still welcome at all functions and to participate on this board, free of charge. Just like SCOA, I've been invited to come along, as many of us have, even though some of us aren't members, on many of their tours.

Just don't poo poo the efforts of those who see value, are willing to do the work and want to do something further to help look out for the owners of these *great" cars -- members, or not.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-08-2001, 12:35 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via AIM to nvrmore100 Send a message via Yahoo to nvrmore100
[QUOTE][i]Point is, the power supply that was sent to Chris was faulty (unbenownced to the donor) and one still has to be acquired.]

What kind is it? Ryan = major computer geek. If it's just an ATX power supply I have 3 of them sitting my closet collecting dust! Let me know what you guys need, I may be able to help out. I can't say I have a lot that's all the great I'm willing to part with, but something simple like that I'm sure I have extra's of.

Ryan
Old 05-08-2001, 12:39 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
Ryan,
I can't seem to find the thread now. Just send Chris (vidar) a PM and let him know what you've got, or, click on the "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page. I believe he needed a 350 Watt Power supply. Contact him to make sure, and thanks a lot.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 02:27 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Just don't poo poo the efforts of those who see value, are willing to do the work and want to do something further to help look out for the owners of these *great" cars -- members, or not.
Sorry, I didn't know that having an opposing view was "poo-pooing" anything. I had thought my input into the discussion might be valued, I guess not. From now on I will refrain from expressing my opinion here, I'll just sit in the back of the bus and listen to the grand plans for this site.
Old 05-08-2001, 02:52 PM

Registered SVX
Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000

Sorry, I didn't know that having an opposing view was "poo-pooing" anything. I had thought my input into the discussion might be valued, I guess not. From now on I will refrain from expressing my opinion here, I'll just sit in the back of the bus and listen to the grand plans for this site.
Wah! Wah! Wah! What a cry-baby. My opposition to your opposition is of less value than your opposition? If you are going to present an opposing view, do I not have the right to state my case and oppose your opposition? Everyone's view is valued and considered. Let the debate continue. Sit in the back of the bus if you want -- just remember -- Eric's driving.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX Classic SVX
Proper pronunciation: ALCYONE

I checked with 3 sources in the field of astronomy. Dr. Hickok teaches Astrononmy at the University where I work. He confirmed with another at the Goddard Space Flight Center here and one at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab here.

The unanimous concensus is that in Alcyone the last "e" is pronounced separately. So it is either "Al-see-own-e" or as in the above post by paddlenz (AL-see-own-eh) They all agree it is not Al-see-OWN, although I like this pronunciation the best.

I guess, unless you're talking about this to a scientist, it would be hard to look stupid.

1996 Polo Green LSi #216..138,100 miles...SOLD

JFICX8659TH100216.....Date of Manufacture: November 16, 1995.....
Fuji Heavy Industries..Ōta North Plant....Ōta City,. Gunma Prefecture, Japan

In-Service Date: January 2, 1997

"The Pristine Green Polo Machine”
First Polo Green on the Network
First Clear front turn signals, JDM Alcyone hood emblem, rear panel, and BOXER engine cover on the Network (US) (2000)
First 5000K HID factory fog lights (2007)
First SVX JDM BBS wheels on a USDM SVX (2013)

HID lighting (5000K) for headlight and H3 fog lights, PIAA SuperExtreme 120W high beams, rebuilt EG33 longblock, Cometic head gaskets, Phase II flexplate, AMR aluminum radiator with custom silicone hoses, 160A high-output alternator in aluminum-ceramic coated case, new design alternator wiring upgrade v.4, rare factory headlight protectors, refinished JDM BBS mesh aluminum wheels and custom, polished billet aluminum new hex center caps, LED grille mod, R1 Concepts high-carbon cryo slotted rotors, Akebono ceramic pads, Goodridge S/S braided brake lines, Smallcar Stage 1 shift kit, ThermalTech aluminum/ceramic-coated valve covers, Energy Suspension urethane front & rear swaybar bushings, Bontrager22 rear swaybar with QS Components Chromoly Teflon/Kevlar endlinks, "$15.00/5 minute" suspension mod. Hella Supertone horns, Custom stainless steel exhaust system with 2" headpipes, Magnaflow cats, AeroTurbine AR25 resonator /AWD "Bullet" muffler.

R.I.P. 2010 Subaru Outback Limited 2.5 CVT...338,000 miles. Totaled by a 1,300 lb. COW March 4, 2016

2014 Hyundai Avante Limited ...178,000 miles. Actually quieter and smoother than the Outback

2007 Mazda Miata MX-5 PRHT...102,000 miles.
Plenty of parts, service and windshields.

4th Registered Network member —2/21/2001

My NEW locker..I...My Email..I..Wikipedia/SVX .

Last edited by svxcess; 05-08-2001 at 02:57 PM.
Old 05-08-2001, 03:00 PM

Registered SVX
Hmmm. The last time I ordered "Calzon-eh" at an Italian Restaurant, they looked at me like I had two heads. Mike Galione, just about punched me when I called him Mr. Galion-eh. I guess the Latin "purists" don't mind the, eh, eh?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 04:06 PM
Headed to Texas...

<<I'll just sit in the back of the bus and listen to the grand plans for this site.>>

Ummm . . . Eddy, you do realize that this is the same bus that Eric's driving, right?

Anyways, my .02:
I can see where the term "resume" might put some people off, but I see nothing wrong with getting "serious" about this club or organization or whatever it ends up being called.
I sometimes wonder what will become of this board and the one on Yahoo (among others!) on down the road, say 5-10+ years, when parts/factory support really does start to dry up.
Personally, I intend to keep this SVX for LIFE. That's going to be pretty hard to do as the years go by, without the benefit of a solid owners organization to help me - not just with the kind expertise people like Eddy can contribute (invaluable as it is), but with the capability to actually produce parts that are long out of production.
Granted, the system does work pretty well for us NOW - just don't think it can last. And this has all been so much fun for me - the car, the people, the friends we've made - that I want to do all I can to make it last!

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 05-08-2001, 04:16 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay

Wah! Wah! Wah! What a cry-baby
Wow, straight out of left field, didn't even have a clue that one would come along. I would have expected a more mature response from the grand high exalted poobah, but I was probably wrong in my thinking there too.

As for Eric driving the bus, he's never mentioned an accident, (that I can recall), so I might slightly soil my undies getting to the destination, but I'd get there *real* quick.
Old 05-08-2001, 06:05 PM

Registered SVX
<<Wow, straight out of left field, didn't even have a clue that one would come along. I would have expected a more mature response from the grand high exalted poobah, but I was probably wrong in my thinking there too.>>

I have my moments of immaturity. I am actually capable of much worse when I'm trying to stifle my basic "redneck" self.
But, as you're beginning to discover, you actually can be wrong about some things. As far as grand high exalted poobah, I've given up that title. I tried to change it to "NOT the president" today, but, looks like I've been locked out of changing my "titles."

Buses notwithstanding, the last time I saw Eric, he was on crutches. He was recovering from a spill down a mountain from a skiing trip which he took shortly after recovering from injuries sustained from a previous skiing trip --- still wanna ride?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-08-2001, 06:40 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Smile Re: Proper pronunciation: ALCYONE

Quote:
Originally posted by svxcess
I checked with 3 sources in the field of astronomy. Dr. Hickok teaches Astrononmy at the University where I work. He confirmed with another at the Goddard Space Flight Center here and one at the Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab here.

The unanimous concensus is that in Alcyone the last "e" is pronounced separately. So it is either "Al-see-own-e" or as in the above post by paddlenz (AL-see-own-eh) They all agree it is not Al-see-OWN, although I like this pronunciation the best.

I guess, unless you're talking about this to a scientist, it would be hard to look stupid.
Having once considered myself a scientist, I agree with paddlesnz and his Japanese pronounciation. Flagstaff has it correct, he regards it the same as halcyon, and I figure it is the Spanish, more likely the Italian for halcyon, and the e at the end has to be accented.
Halcyon I think means pinnacle or best, but it's all Greek to me.

Joe

Maybe we should ask Peppe? Eddie....????
Old 05-08-2001, 07:01 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Clubbing to death

Hey,

You big boys drink up your warm milk. Most recent posts have been of the constructive variety, till lately. Bottom line is with on-line clubs, you can have dozens, hundreds, and as informal as you like. How much clout will each one have?

With income, a club can provide facilities for members, and can centralise information and deal on member's behalf with the authority of shared experience on issues of warranty and availability of parts .

Problem is, with income, comes responsibility. In principle I agree with eddycat, we don't need to be hiring lawyers and paying for copyright infringement. But if we put the structures in place to provide worthwhile extras for members, we have to ensure that members funds do not go astray.

I have been in clubs where common funds went missing, and sometimes the people in charge of the money too. { The money first, then the people. We frown on that kind of stuff round here!}

If it is worthwhile funding endeavour, it is imperative to ensure funds are properly handled. This can not be done on an informal basis. One of the most valuable assets of this club is the goodwill and help of eddycat and aredubjay and jamsvx and paddles et al, so please guys and girls, don't get personal. Join in, it's a big adventure, everybody welcome, everybody wins!!!

Joe
Old 05-08-2001, 09:13 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Smile A few comments *clearing of throat*

Firstly, I am packing up and moving to Japan! I want to be able to walk down a street in Tokyo and be able to see, crawling towards me in the traffic chaos, the unique front of an SVX but.....hang on, he's mounted the footpath, I can hear twin turbos spooling up...PSSSSSSSSTttttttt....oh my, he's now stopped, the blow off valves venting the excess air, the top...the TOP!!! is retracting into the rear a la SLK and ...I don't believe it....it has a 6 speed transmission....Oh joys of joys, I have departed this mortal coil and my little rowboat has deposited me on the shores of SVX Island (a throwback to the great Yahoo war on the twin turbo/4ws SVX for those veterans!!)

On a more serious note, I think that eddy has made a few salient points. The degree to which the club is being contemplated (board, resolution etc) is something that, although as has been correctly pointed out, add force of weight to a letter etc, is something that I think should come later in the evolution of this club. By way of example, I am a quasi-member (sort of) a group of people who own Ferrari's and on a few occasions, have went along with them on both their own drives and also with the nationally organised club (being with a newsletter, president, board etc etc).....two completely different environments. One group sat around, had a chat, then trashed the life out of the cars....the other sat around, continued to sit around, had a lonnnnnnnnnggg discussion as to who was going to be elected and who was doing what with the publications etc etc - I gather this was the norm rather than the exception. I'll leave you to decide which group acted in what way and which was better, naturally drawing a comparsion to the degree that it can be made, with the situation here.

At the end of the day, the question must be asked: why.

If it be for force of numbers, Joe Blow Carbon Fibre hood land can be coerced into treating an order seriously by either a letterhead of an organisation or a person standing there waving money saying "50 orders here....what can you do before I go to the next place". Ditto when dealing with anyone else

If it be for newsletters, one would have to consider the content of the newsletters etc and the degree to which it would be better, for lack of a better word, that the enviroment and information contained therein that exists at the moment. I say this since we have here a tremendous wealth of knowledge that I think would merely be repeition if in newsletter form.

Jamsvx

PS: sorry about the length!

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 05-08-2001, 09:20 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
oops... I forgot one thing.

On the issue of copyright, most of us here are breaching it left right and centre (unauthorised use of images, names, slogans) and especially those naughty people scanning in the images onto their websites (hmm...who put that stuff there on www.geocities.com/jamsvx)

If the club goes ahead, you can eliminate ANY chance of this continuing to occur combined with bye-bye to logo'ed T-shirts, umbrella's, mugs, pyjama's keyrings or the like unless we get the permission of Subaru - who may chose not to grant it.

At the moment, our defence is that we are fans and there is no profit or money involved. Make it a club and we expose ourselves to litigation - plain and simple.

As such, the issue will be what exactly is the overall benefit of the move to a more formalised arrangement.

When we can agree on that, then the path to be taken will become evident.

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!