How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2001, 12:10 AM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
One of the topics of discussion at the Smokey Mountains meet was the formalization of the "Subaru SVX Owner's Network." It's gonna happen, folks. We just need to work out some details.

During the next few weeks, we're going to be researching other "specialty clubs" and finding out how they work.

We've already had a mission statement and a constitution drafted. Comments are still welcome on their construction. Look for the thread in "General Babble." We will be looking for your input along the way. Since we are so widespread, I would suggest we set up some particular dates and times to "convene" in the chat room for suggestions and comments. Come prepared to take notes and prepared to make suggestions. We'd like to have input from the global SVX community as to what an "Official" SVX Network (or "club") should do for its members.

We will not let this "die on the vine" again. Speak now, or forever hold your peace -- we're pressing forward. More to come as we progress, but, hold on to your hats, once we get the ball rolling, there ain't gonna be no stoppin' it. Viva L'SVX!
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 04-23-2001, 03:36 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Talking Northern & Southern Hemisphere Support

As an Irish lad living in Australia, I can confidently say that I can represent two countries where SVX's have made it!!!

And I know Joe will back me up on the emerald aspect!!!

As for anyone else here in Australia, I know there is two on the Yahoo site (both from near the north NSW coast) and a fellow in NZ and of course, Paddlesnz....who can represent Japan and NZ!!

Hmm...come to think of it, we can pretty much sew the whole global market up!

I will endeavour to contribute what I can to the Club....and it will be fun!

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-23-2001, 09:15 AM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
James,
Many thanks. I'm looking forward to this endeavor. I would really like to have Martin Rieger along for the ride. I feel he'd have a lot to contribute. Will keep everyone up to date as things progress. Again, thank you.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2001, 02:34 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Mr. Pockets
Registered SVX
Let me know what I can do, Randy.

END OF LINE

2005 RX-8 Grand Touring
2005 Outback
2002 Mercedes-Benz E320 wagon

END OF LINE
Old 04-24-2001, 03:47 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Re: Northern & Southern Hemisphere Support

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamsvx
As an Irish lad living in Australia, I can confidently say that I can represent two countries where SVX's have made it!!!

And I know Joe will back me up on the emerald aspect!!!

As for anyone else here in Australia, I know there is two on the Yahoo site (both from near the north NSW coast) and a fellow in NZ and of course, Paddlesnz....who can represent Japan and NZ!!

Hmm...come to think of it, we can pretty much sew the whole global market up!

I will endeavour to contribute what I can to the Club....and it will be fun!

Jamsvx
Right on, James, Paddy power and the Tiger rules!!
We have also got East and West covered. Pretty sure we would have support from the boys and girls in the UK.

Rack 'em up Randy, we're right behind ya.

Joe
Old 04-24-2001, 05:54 PM

Registered SVX
Hot damn! Now I'm getting excited! Mr. Pockets (but, my heart says "cube" ) thanks for chiming in we'll be letting our needs be known soon. Bill (svxter) has already made contact with the DeLorean Club. We'll also be looking at people like the Avanti club, probably the Alfa club and others. If anyone has others we may want to glean "best practices" from, then, please let us know. Drop me a PM or e-mail me at trspit80@aol.com.

Joe and James, see if you can't start recruiting. Possibly head over to the UK club and ask if they'll join our efforts. Hopefully that whole "colonist" thing won't get in the way . Meanwhile, something funny. When I was a small child, I couldn't understand why people from England, et al, wanted to support the University of Kentucky -- I mean, what was a kid to think -- they had "UK" stamped on everything. Just another one of those things that make you feel ridiculous, once the truth is known.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2001, 06:51 PM
This account is scheduled to be deleted for inactivity

Send a message via Yahoo to svxter
I urge everyone to check out the Delorean Owners Association website:

http://www.delorean-owners.org/

They face some similar problems - a rare automobile, even rarer than the SVX, plus their manufacturer is now defunct. Fortunately, Subaru is nowhere near defunct, but if they drop all support for the SVX, we will be in the same position as the Delorean folks.

I think the SVX Owners Association, or whatever the name winds up to be, could certainly do the things that the Delorean club is doing. Perhaps this is the answer to the question that Colin posed, as to what people would get for their membership dues.

Pop over there, take a look, and share your thoughts.
Red F-150 Extended Cab Long Bed - Big Boy

Even the best monkey sometimes drops his banana.
Old 04-24-2001, 07:08 PM

Avanti and Alfa-Romeo Owner's Associations

Here's the link for the Avanti Owner's Association:

http://www.classicar.com/clubs/aoai/aoaihome.htm

And for Alfa-Romeo owners:

http://www.aroc-usa.org/main.html

Last edited by svxter; 04-24-2001 at 07:18 PM.
Old 04-24-2001, 10:14 PM

Registered SVX
Looks like the "Avanti" guys are about our speed right now. 25 bucks a year wouldn't be bad. We'd need to start looking for an "official" printer for our publication and forms and flyers and such. A step at a time, though. Lets take our time and do it right. Suggestions? Discussions? Let's not be shy.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 04-24-2001, 10:44 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Jamsvx Send a message via Yahoo to Jamsvx
Unhappy

Just on the issue of DeLorean's, about a week ago I came across a site (I think it was the DeLoreans owners page) where they have been persuing a mystery of their own a la the 4ws/turbo SVX.

The issue was where the moulds and metal pressings for the DeLoreans had gone when the company went under - turns out a Irish fisherman had pictures of the moulds being used as weights to hold down fishing nets for a fish farm off the Irish coast - can you imagine! There are pictures of them sending these priceless moulds over the side

I just hope the day never comes when we see photos of a certain production line serving as weights in a Japanese harbour.

Jamsvx

27 August 2002 to 27 January 2004 - she will be missed

Was back in Sydney for a while but not hot enough so now in Dubai! Has it been that long since I owned SVX-33H!
Old 04-25-2001, 11:56 AM
Headed to Texas...

Checked out the Alfa Romeo, Avanti and DMC sites.
I didn't spend too much time on the Alfa site, as their multiple model foundation is so different from ours.
Avanti does seem to be closest to our club at the moment and they look like an excellent model.
Delorean? All I can say is "wow". Very impressive for such a rare car. Something to shoot for.
At this moment, I would be most interested in how these particular clubs took their first steps. It's like we're all standing at the starting line wanting to dash off to the finish - but don't know how to use these funky starting blocks

jnj7707@yahoo.com
Old 04-25-2001, 12:52 PM

I agree that both the Avanti and Delorean clubs look like reasonable models for us to draw from. I have sent e-mail to the Delorean club, asking various questions, but have yet to receive any reply. I think I'll fire something off to the Avanti group, and see what happens.

Yes, I too was much impressed by what the Delorean folks have accomplished, given that there were only 8000 of them ever built, if I am reading the right thing on their site. Surely we can accomplish as much.

If I recall correctly, the Avanti folks are having some sort of gathering in GA this summer. Since that's not too far away, I may run down and drop in on them.

Old 04-26-2001, 10:31 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to jscorse
My local research - Cobra Assoc.

Just thought I'd share some comments from a co-worker in a Cobra club.

They obviously have more people from the sounds of the size of the meets, but the car is somewhat of a cult. Most of the cars in the club are kit cars. Maybe someday people will build kit cars of the SVX. It's the sincerest form of flattery, right?

Anyway, because they have the kit, they have many sponsors who help pay for and organize the many events they have.

I asked him, who has the time to organize these meets. There are a few people who's life revolve around the car and it's many kits. One guy builds several kits per year. Talk about dedicated.

Here's a link to one of there Spring Fling events: www.quickkeys.com/sprinkling/events.htm.

It's pretty thorough and looks like this company "Quickkeys" helps administrate these sort of events on the web. I don't know if we would need the services of such a company seeing as you/we all where able to set up this site.

Anyway, not too much help really. I'd agree that the Delorian club is a close match. The only difference is that that car was purchased by millionaires and ours mostly was...not.
Old 04-27-2001, 06:19 AM

No word yet

I've made inquiries to both the Delorean and Avanti clubs, trying to establish contact with someone who can share experiences, suggestions, etc., for getting a club going. No word so far, but I'll post info when I get it. Meanwhile, I've started a little poll about dues - how much do you think they should be? It will take some cash to get this rolling. Please take a second to punch a button. Thanks.

Old 04-27-2001, 07:40 AM
Headed to Texas...

I've just voted on the poll, and as I was going over the choices of dues, the question in my mind was "what will I be getting from this organization that I can't get from an online (free) forum?"
The answer to that question will probably be a key factor in many peoples minds as they decide how much $$ to part with on a yearly basis.
These "basic services" provided by the organization may have been touched on in the materials that Bill posted earlier, but maybe needs to be boiled down to laymen's terms.

jnj7707@yahoo.com