How-To Documents
Message Archive
SVX Shop Search
IRC users:

Go Back   The Subaru SVX World Network > SVX Main Forums > General SVX Babble

Old 05-17-2001, 03:02 PM
Dumba$$ Mechanic

Likker

I was in a likker store awhile back and while standing in line I took a look in the glass case they had there. Anyone heard of Louis 14th cognac? I hadn't either, the price tag was 1100+dollars per bottle, but you did get two cool looking shot glasses and a neat stroage case for that price.
Old 05-17-2001, 03:41 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Send a message via Skype™ to svxistentialist
Registered SVX
Julips from Amsterdam

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
Joe, I paid approximately 52.00 USD for the bottle I took with me to Tennessee. It was not the "Gold." It can be had for less (35-40 USD from some of the online vendors). So, I suppose prices, with transport and such are in line.

By the same token, I am sometimes surprised at the price of Scotch, here. Though the Taliskers seemed reasonable at (I believe) around 35.00, according to Colin, I shiver at paying around that price for something called "Sheep Dip." Some of the "rarer" Scotches reach the 150.00 range . . . and up.

Now, if you'll excuse me, after that description, I'm going to need a julip.
I am surprised and a little appalled at the price range you are quoting here. I have a rule of thumb, or for whiskey, should it be rule of finger?, here, that I will resist paying premium prices if the distlillers are taking a jump at me and presuming on my good nature.

A decent bottle of Powers is £15 about $17. In terms of taste and worth, it is not possible IMHO to make a whiskey twice as good, certainly not three times as good. I pay about £35 for Lagavulin, which I currently think is about the best on the planet. Bottom line, £35 to £40 is about my limit. Not because I can't afford to pay more, but because I feel the markup on the premium is too high to pay, the marketeers are being too greedy, and should be left with the product.

Shipping charges to the States are going to be the same for the cheapest bottle of Scotch you can buy, so why should shipping for Blanton's to England or Ireland be higher for a premium product, or, for that matter, the cost of it be borne by the customer? No, No, methinks I smell a rat here.

You make a great point about the costly packageing. Totally OTT. Same trend here, and it indicates these high priced tipples are most often given for presents or for corporate presentation. Damn pity. You could almost buy the stuff for drinking if it wasn't for all the fools with money prepared to shell out for packaging.

Reserve me a bottle of the $40 vintage. It will be cheaper for me to travel over for the 10th Anniversary meet and drink it in Indiana than to have it shipped here. {Don't tell Larry I said that!}

Joe
White X2 RVR Mitsubishi 1800GDI. Vantastic

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-17-2001, 03:49 PM
Rat Fink Member ~:o)

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
As a matter of fact, I have heard of Louis XVI Cognac. I'm damn sure glad that I got sick on Cognac once and I don't drink it any more. Yikes!

My business partner and I had gone to pick up some "requested perks" for one of our clients at a very large liquor store in Nashville, TN. Our client, knowing my partner was not too "wine savvy" had asked him to pick up (among other things) a small bottle of Chateau Lafitte Rothschild, vintage 1972. We walked into the liquor store and my partner headed for the wine aisle. I told him he would not find this particular wine amongst the Gallos and Blue Nuns, that, he'd better ask the manager. The manager smiled, widely and led us to the back of the store where he opened the wrought iron enclosure. Lo and behold, sitting just inside the gate was an entire magnum of Lafitte Rothschild '72. My partner looked at the price tag on the bottle. "Seventeen dollars? That's not bad." He chirped. The look on his face was priceless when I said, "move the decimal two spaces to the right." Needless to say, we did not take that bottle back with us. Neither did we order the standard "fifth" sized bottle (which would take a week) for the suggested price of 280.00. We managed to exit with a latter vintage Rothschild and a latter vintage Margeaux for about 180.00 -- this was in 1986.
First to arrive at the very first Reading Meet
Subaru Ambassador

1992 SVX PPG Pace Car Replica 110+k
1993 White Impreza L 240+K miles
2001 Legacy Outback Limited Sedan 250+K miles
2013 Deep Indigo Pearl Legacy 3.6R 49+K miles

"Reading is my favorite Holiday"
Mike Davis -- at Reading VI
Old 05-17-2001, 03:55 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Re: Likker

Quote:
Originally posted by eddycat2000
I was in a likker store awhile back and while standing in line I took a look in the glass case they had there. Anyone heard of Louis 14th cognac? I hadn't either, the price tag was 1100+dollars per bottle, but you did get two cool looking shot glasses and a neat stroage case for that price.
I have'nt heard of this Louis 14th eddy, but he sounds out of my league. Not a big fan of brandy, although I am partial to Bisquit from time to time.

Surprised they give you two shot glasses. At 1100 bucks, you might be drinking it on your own.

Got a quote today from the UK agency repairing 4EAT boxes, $2500. Warranty 12/12K. What do you think? Could it be done for less? It will cost me much more overall, I have to ship to Glasgow, pay for fitment, add price for extra cooler, and want it filled with Redline fully synthetic Hi Temp, which he says is very expensive, and they only ever put it in BMW boxes. Go figure.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-17-2001, 03:57 PM

Send a message via ICQ to Aredubjay Send a message via AIM to Aredubjay Send a message via Yahoo to Aredubjay
Registered SVX
<<Reserve me a bottle of the $40 vintage. It will be cheaper for me to travel over for the 10th Anniversary meet and drink it in Indiana than to have it shipped here. {Don't tell Larry I said that!} >>

Joe, if you make it over for the 10th Anniversary meet, I'll have a bottle of the $40 vintage waiting for you . . . as a welcoming gift. Even cheaper than you thought, eh?
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-17-2001, 04:03 PM
Jersey Girl
Alcyone Gold Contributor

Registered SVX
Smile Indiana wants me, Lord I....

Quote:
Originally posted by Aredubjay
<<Reserve me a bottle of the $40 vintage. It will be cheaper for me to travel over for the 10th Anniversary meet and drink it in Indiana than to have it shipped here. {Don't tell Larry I said that!} >>

Joe, if you make it over for the 10th Anniversary meet, I'll have a bottle of the $40 vintage waiting for you . . . as a welcoming gift. Even cheaper than you thought, eh?
If I can make it, you got a deal. And I won't be empty handed either.

Which UK member did you say is going? Is he/she bringing a car?

Might be fun.

Joe

40,000 miles Jersey Girl
Old 05-17-2001, 05:10 PM

Registered SVX
Re: Indiana wants me, Lord I....

Quote:
Originally posted by svxistentialist

If I can make it, you got a deal. And I won't be empty handed either.

Which UK member did you say is going? Is he/she bringing a car?

Might be fun.

Joe
Joe,
M30SVX (though I haven't heard from him in a while) is coming over, but, without the SVX I'm afraid. After the meet he's heading down to New Orleans. I'm-a reckon he gonna sample some o' dat fine cajun cookin'. Mmmmmmm, mmmmm, I guar-on-tee! Perhaps you guys can catch a two-fer on a BCA-SST
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-17-2001, 05:14 PM

Registered SVX
Oh, and Joe -- great song at the title of your post. I have it on 45. Left over from my DeeJay days.
Subaru Ambassador

Old 05-03-2016, 10:02 AM
Inventor of the 5-speed swap

Significant Technical Input Registered SVX
Re: Springtime In The Smokies - Meet Report

I attended this meet (Was my first meet) ....how did I not post in this thread?...
88 XT6 AWD 5-Speed "Bride of FrankenWedge"
15 Impreza Premium Sedan
15 Crosstrek XV 5-Speed
My 5-Speed "How-To" Write-up
1976 Pontiac Firebird Formula
Current Count of Subaru's Owned.... "70"